Waiting for Axl: The Odyssey of Eddie Trunk

auad

1326114049.jpg

"It's 05:30 am on Sunday, October 30, 2011 and I'm sitting in a locker room in Miami, Florida, generally reserved for the Miami Heat NBA basketball team. I'm almost 24 hours without sleep when I am awakened from my semi-stupor by the sound of the producer of VH1 telling me, 'He's coming! He's coming! '

A minute later, I am face to face with one of the more reclusive rock stars of all time: W. Axl Rose. How did that happen?

I have an interesting story when it comes to Axl Rose. One of the first leaks of Chinese Democracy Guns N 'Roses came on my radio show in 2005 when the star of "American" baseball fanatic and Guns, Mike Piazza played the track' IRS 'in my program. That night we were not sure if we had passed was not even legitimate. Until the day after a warrant had been issued and delivered to me.

A year later, I was presenting the same program in New York City and was in the studio full of guests, including Sebastian Bach. Throughout the evening, Sebastian began receiving text messages from Axl Rose. By that time 13 years had passed since the last time the two had spoken, then the excitement was genuine Bach. One thing led to another and Axl joined us in the studio and ran until about 03:30 am. That night was news around the world and ended up being the last interview with Axl Rose for a long time.

Going back to October of that year, I get a call from the chief of VH1's musical talent, Rick Krim, who explains that the new owner of Rose, Peter Kats, had come in contact to see if we could help promote the shows of Guns N 'Roses in the U.S. in November and December. Rick offered them a segment with an interview with Axl, and told me that if it did, it would be in the style 'face-to-face' in the spirit of 'That Metal Show' in front of an audience with my collaborators comedians, Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson. I was not optimistic that actually happen.

Still, the talks continued between Kats and Krim. I was quite shocked when I was informed that tickets for Miami were being booked.

Guns N 'Roses began his tour in Orlando on October 28. We were scheduled to - if everything worked - talk to Axl at American Airlines Arena the next night. Our scenario was built on one of the team's locker room and it was around 8 pm I saw Axl enter the building and he waved briefly as he walked to his dressing room. I was encouraged by the fact that he was in the room early, by his standards. Maybe this stuff rolled off at 08:30, we would watch the Guns at about 109 hours, then it was back to the hotel. Yeah, right.

The new hours have proved a daunting process, filled with conflicting information. At one point, we were told that Axl would come to us before going on stage.

At midnight, the lights of the arena went out and took the stage with Guns "track" Chinese Democracy. In my mind, there was no chance that Axl leave the stage at 3 am and wanted to sit down for a television interview. I was ready to return to my hotel after a few songs, but my producer, Jeff Baumgardner, the bone would not let go. Kats had told him that Axl most likely to join us after the show. And Axl's closest aide, a woman named Beta Lebeis, told me during the show that she would help bring Axl to see me.

At 3 am, the last notes of 'Paradise City' rang from the stage, and the next phase of our waiting game began. Some of the band members and crew began to tell us that he was not aware of any interview and that very possibly he did it. But Kats insisted that Axl would come before leaving the house, then continue to wait.

The stage was dismantled and Sunday morning has dawned. But Axl was still as far as anyone knew, in her dressing room. Lebeis Fernando, son of Beta, and now 'tour manager' GN'R, Axl has assured us that was under way. We returned to our makeshift studio. Then, around 05:30 am, Axl arrived with Beta, and guitarist DJ Ashba Kats in tow.

After almost 15 hours in the arena, we had an interview with Axl Rose.

Axl seemed refreshed and ready to start, without showing any exhaustion by the time early / late. Ashba was the request of Axl. The only thing that was asked to address was NOT a reunion tour. After all, the interview was to help promote the current tour. All set, Axl himself during the interview, he mentioned many former members of GN'R.

We talked for about 90 minutes. He seemed to be on the defensive in the beginning. He knew me, but not Jim or Don, and on several occasions he said he was unaware that we were all waiting for dawn to do the interview. Once he got comfortable, he quickly became the same guy with whom I had talked five years ago, telling stories, laughing, sometimes disparaging and being a new guy. Once he got into the spirit of the thing, he seemed willing to continue as long as we wanted. We ended the interview because we were running out of tape after recording several people all day.

When the interview aired, one of the best and most flattering comments I heard were about how he had been nice to see Axl being a normal guy. This almost mythical aura that surrounds, not to mention the endless rumors and stories, all kind of faded away in 40 minutes he was on TV.

Much has been speculated about the time it took Axl to appear for the interview, and the idea that he made us wait on purpose. I do not really believe it was the case. We were without the promise of an interview, much less the time it would happen.

I can honestly say that Axl thought a good guy who really loves music and also has great faith in the band that he is leading. I'm happy by the time we had with him, and people can able to see a side of Axl Rose that many did not know he had. "

http://lokaos.net/esperando-por-axl-a-odisseia-de-eddie-trunk-para-entrevistar-o-homi/

Interesting that it was Peter Kats that was the catalyst for the interview, not Beta as some are claiming.

Somebody actually claimed it was Beta? Anyone with the simplest understanding of how time works should have known better. You would think anyway.

Only those that are desperately trying to prove that promoting the housekeeper to the manager was a good idea :)

Interesting that it was Peter Kats that was the catalyst for the interview, not Beta as some are claiming.

Somebody actually claimed it was Beta? Anyone with the simplest understanding of how time works should have known better. You would think anyway.

Only those that are desperately trying to prove that promoting the housekeeper to the manager was a good idea :)

That is completely grasping at straws then. I haven't seen a single bit of evidence that says that she is any better or worse than anyone before her. If nothing happens this year, she is just another in the long list of managers that have been proven incompetent. More so in her case though, she should be held to higher standards for using her longstanding personal relationship with Axl to force him in to giving her the job.

Stop disrespecting people by labelling them and trivializing them when in reality you lack the slightest clue concerning their experience/ability.

Also,the guys name is Katsis :rolleyes:

Stop disrespecting people by labelling them and trivializing them when in reality you lack the slightest clue concerning their experience/ability.

Also,the guys name is Katsis :rolleyes:

This.

It's funny. I was at the Camden show talking to some dudes in the beer line who told me the only reason they were there was because they saw the Eddie Trunk interview on TMS. They thought the band sounded awesome and they were so amped to be there, but they had no clue the band was even touring before they saw that. It shows that the casual fan really doesn't know about the new band and that a little bit of promotion (and not media whoring) could go a long way.

It's funny. I was at the Camden show talking to some dudes in the beer line who told me the only reason they were there was because they saw the Eddie Trunk interview on TMS. They thought the band sounded awesome and they were so amped to be there, but they had no clue the band was even touring before they saw that. It shows that the casual fan really doesn't know about the new band and that a little bit of promotion (and not media whoring) could go a long way.

So true!

That is completely grasping at straws then. I haven't seen a single bit of evidence that says that she is any better or worse than anyone before her. If nothing happens this year, she is just another in the long list of managers that have been proven incompetent. More so in her case though, she should be held to higher standards for using her longstanding personal relationship with Axl to force him in to giving her the job.

We have comments like these & wonder why Axl doesn't come on here to chat <_<

Who said Beta "forced" him to make her manager, has she actually said this personally to anyone or was it read in an article? She wasn't just a housekeeper (not that thats a lowly job by any means) but had a very high up job in Brazil before going to the USA so knew how management worked. Her children were brought up around the music industry so its not like they stepped out of the street into organising tours & managing a band.

If Axl didn't have the faith in her after knowing her since the early 90s then would he have put her in this position? Would she want the position if she didn't think she could do it and remain family to him? I wish them all the best & hope she can reassure him that not everybody's against him - only those that can't let go of the past 20yrs :fuckyou:

We have comments like these & wonder why Axl doesn't come on here to chat <_<

Who said Beta "forced" him to make her manager, has she actually said this personally to anyone or was it read in an article? She wasn't just a housekeeper (not that thats a lowly job by any means) but had a very high up job in Brazil before going to the USA so knew how management worked. Her children were brought up around the music industry so its not like they stepped out of the street into organising tours & managing a band.

If Axl didn't have the faith in her after knowing her since the early 90s then would he have put her in this position? Would she want the position if she didn't think she could do it and remain family to him? I wish them all the best & hope she can reassure him that not everybody's against him - only those that can't let go of the past 20yrs :fuckyou:

"I told [Rose] if he hires another manager, I quit."

That quote is from Beta herself. Before you go gibbering at me, figure out what you're talking about. This place was better when it was just us "Axl nut huggers" and the "Slash dingleberry chewers". You "Beta piss sippers" don't have a leg to stand on. She has proven nothing so far. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt because she is new and she still has time, but I'm not going to bend over and kiss her ass so that I don't upset people like you. If Axl doesn't want to come to the forum because I said that Beta has to prove herself, there's something wrong. There's much worse being said about him personally in other threads around here.

Edit:

fyou.giffyou.giffyou.gif

Edited by Damn_Smooth

I love GNR, Axl, old band, and new.

But you can't tell me that manager after manager after manager

After manager that they are all incompetent.

Come on guys.

Quit fooling yourself.

And now we look up and a woman that Axl sees as a mother is his manager.

Maybe she will be great, maybe she won't. But on paper it reeks of an unhealthy business relationship.

I wish them the best though.

Our scenario was built on one of the team's locker room and it was around 8 pm I saw Axl enter the building and he waved briefly as he walked to his dressing room-Eddie Trunk

DJ said that Axl told him he had no idea Eddie was there for an interview. So is Axl lying or did he forget? But his confirms that Axl saw Eddie and waved to him. What could Axl have thought Eddie was backstage for than any other reason but an interview?