Axl Chat's, Buckethead related

bumblecool

Ron's solos for Shackler's Revenge and Catcher in the Rye are the best because they sound like they used the least amount of Pro Tools.

Although Buckets TWAT outro was amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if that was pieced together. Ron's solos sound classic rock and roll to me.

All the solos were pro-tooled/comped together. We have confirmation of this leading all the way back to 1999 with Oh My God. Axl, in his press release said that Robin's parts were written by Paul Tobias and EXTENSIVELY manipulated by producer Sean Beaven. Further clarification came from Brian May some years later who said Axl and the producer comped his solos right in front of him. Just because Ron's solos don't sound comped, doesn't mean they weren't...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no need for BH now they have Ron.

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that I prefer Buckethead's songwriting/music making abilities ('Soothsayer' being a case in point).

I prefer Buckethead's songwriting/music making abilities[2]

They could have not comped them. Only one way to find out.

That's true, but the general consensus is that they did... We will never really know.

We can always ask Ron.

Go for it :) Interested to hear what he says.

From what I can hear in those multitracks, Ron's solos were not that comped as Buckets. Listen to the ending solo in Scraped: that's clearly at least 4 different takes. Even the tone sounds different. I would love to know what exactly Caram Constanzo did in this song, by the way.

In Shacklers, there is obviously two guitars merged to form the fretless and the freted solo. But aside from that, it seems more like a single take than in Bucket's case.

Also, keep in mind that Axl talked about OMG that way because Robin was already out of the band. Brian May and Bucket the same. My point is: maybe he was more comfortable in editing the leads when the player wasn't around.

That's true, but the general consensus is that they did... We will never really know.

We can always ask Ron.

From what I can hear in those multitracks, Ron's solos were not that comped as Buckets. Listen to the ending solo in Scraped: that's clearly at least 4 different takes. Even the tone sounds different. I would love to know what exactly Caram Constanzo did in this song, by the way.

In Shacklers, there is obviously two guitars merged to form the fretless and the freted solo. But aside from that, it seems more like a single take than in Bucket's case.

Also, keep in mind that Axl talked about OMG that way because Robin was already out of the band. Brian May and Bucket the same. My point is: maybe he was more comfortable in editing the leads when the player wasn't around.

I think the only thing comped about the Shacklers solo is the merging of fretted and fretless. Ron didn't have the two neck until around 2009. I don't think Catcher was comped though as Brian's was.

We can always ask Ron.

Possible, however we all know Axl is a big fan of digital manipulation. I think it was the Riad(or scraped) solo that was an amalgamation of Bucket and Ron's takes.

Edited by Young_Gun

Ron plays TWAT pretty well from vids I've seen.

That's true, but playing and creating are too different things I think.

Check out his solo stuff, someone mentions Breaking and that song is a great example. His solo music is filled with awesome guitar solos.

Check out his solo stuff, someone mentions Breaking and that song is a great example. His solo music is filled with awesome guitar solos.

Oh I have :) I'm a guitar freak so I have checked out his material, he is an immense talent. It's just his music sometimes comes off as humorous/comical(by intention) and I rather the serious tone that most(not all though) of Bucket's material provides. Bumble does craft some good solos but alot of them don't hit the spot for me.

I love Buckethead to bits, as I love Robin and Brain...

But I get the feeling that Buckethead wants to put his time with GN'R behind him, and not even look back. Axl, would accomadate Bucket in any which way to get him to tour, record or even make an appearence with GN'R again, but I don't think it's something Bucket would be interested in doing.

If Bucket was going to make an appearence with GN'R, I honestly feel the best chance of it happening has just passed us by. What was stopping Bucket from joining Robin and Brain, in Los Angeles the other week?..... Brain must have asked him you have to imagine.

So while GN'R and Axl would RIGHTFULLY SO do just about anything to get Bucket back on board in any capacity. I feel that Buckethead wants nothing to do with it, and I think the only way we will hear Bucket in GN'R again is on future albums, and that's it.

Such a shame really.

:rolleyes:

I love Buckethead to bits, as I love Robin and Brain...

But I get the feeling that Buckethead wants to put his time with GN'R behind him, and not even look back. Axl, would accomadate Bucket in any which way to get him to tour, record or even make an appearence with GN'R again, but I don't think it's something Bucket would be interested in doing.

If Bucket was going to make an appearence with GN'R, I honestly feel the best chance of it happening has just passed us by. What was stopping Bucket from joining Robin and Brain, in Los Angeles the other week?..... Brain must have asked him you have to imagine.

So while GN'R and Axl would RIGHTFULLY SO do just about anything to get Bucket back on board in any capacity. I feel that Buckethead wants nothing to do with it, and I think the only way we will hear Bucket in GN'R again is on future albums, and that's it.

Such a shame really.

:rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly. Bucket is a prolific artist, putting out several albums per year, I think he felt caged in Guns N' Roses. Hell even Robin expressed disdain over working on songs that never had vocals on them. Something to the extent of "I got sick of working on songs with titles like "instrumental 34"" and his output is much much less than Bucket's! Bucket is not coming back sadly, that was his choice.

Oh I have :) I'm a guitar freak so I have checked out his material, he is an immense talent. It's just his music sometimes comes off as humorous/comical(by intention) and I rather the serious tone that most(not all though) of Bucket's material provides. Bumble does craft some good solos but alot of them don't hit the spot for me.

He has done some serious stuff on 9.11, Hands and Forgotten Anthology. He trolled Uncool though.

He has done some serious stuff on 9.11, Hands and Forgotten Anthology. He trolled Uncool though.

Will definitely check them out.

I agree.

Bumblefoot is exceptional at copying others and have an awesome talent at playing different kinds of music (perhaps beaten by Guthrie, though), but in the process I feel like he has lost some originality. It's like everything he does is some caricature or distorted version of other bands. I miss the cohesiveness in his music, I miss something genuine. And it's not just the guitar. He is technically very good at singing, too, but it is like he is always copying or imitating others. Like an exceptionally great music geek that really gets music and loves playing around with genres and styles, but everything ends up sort of soulless although executed brilliantly.

Buckethead on the other hand is himself always, without compromise. It makes him less adaptable and suitable for different genres, perhaps, but he does win some uniqueness and brand, and I never feel his music is just a game or a trick or ironic.

I think Bumblefoot is more suitable for GN'R because he is a guitar geek. Slash is a guitar geek as well.

Buckethead brought a lot of experimenting to the sound (as well as Finck) but when Bumblefoot was brought in, he added his parts to make the sound more GN'R. It was too tight and mechanical GN'R always had that sleaziness.

I think he and Fortus could write a bad ass album together hopefully a future GN'R.

I think Bumblefoot is more suitable for GN'R because he is a guitar geek. Slash is a guitar geek as well.

Buckethead brought a lot of experimenting to the sound (as well as Finck) but when Bumblefoot was brought in, he added his parts to make the sound more GN'R. It was too tight and mechanical GN'R always had that sleaziness.

I think he and Fortus could write a bad ass album together hopefully a future GN'R.

Hmmm I'm not so sure I agree with the Slash being a guitar geek part, certainly not when compared to Ron or Bucket. But each to their own.

Guest gunns5

I liked how Axl responded to the question, he didnt totally close the door on that possibility so it would be intersting to see if bucket will ever want to contribute to gnr in some way again in the future, I know there was bad blood on both sides of the fence but past is the past

Edited by gunns5

He was totally geeking over his guitars in his book, no matter how cool he plays it. Fortus as well, major guitar geek.

Nothing wrong with that. Just they study the different fields .

He probably fawns over his guitar collection for sure, but to me, a guitar freak is more along the lines of a virtuoso playing guitar hours on end. I don't think Slash's technical skills have progressed greatly over the last 20 years...

I don't think Buckethead is interested. Why did he leave? Can anyone briefly tell me what happened? Not too fond of nuGn'R history.

Bucket's management said it was over Rose's failure to tour or put out a record...