Axl Chat's, Buckethead related

bumblecool

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was talking about the outro in both songs. :thumbsup:

Oh okay then. I have an excuse to listen to them again.

So if Axl comped them because Buckethead left, does that mean the other tracks are comped too like the General?

I think Ron said the reason he did not record over most of Buckets tracks was because they've been around so long.

Edited by BirdCatcher

To me, Bumblefoot's main problem is his tone. It's not as heavy and fat as Bucket's tone. Also sounds a bit digital, not sure why tho.

You can clearly hear it in his killswitch - it doesn't sound nowhere near as good as Bucket. Richard's killswitch sounds much closer.

I know its a matter of taste. Robin's tone is very unusual too (and highly unique), specially in his arpeggios-focused songs like Patience, Prostitute and Madagascar. But his lead tone is really unbelievable to me, like in This I Love.

Possible, however we all know Axl is a big fan of digital manipulation. I think it was the Riad(or scraped) solo that was an amalgamation of Bucket and Ron's takes.

Actually, I think Brain said once how Axl wanted him to play the songs in one take to have the right feel.

I trully think Axl wanted to not have as much Pro Tools as people think, but he had to once band members left.

Great point Voodoo!!!...

I also feel that the above reasons, is why the SCOM solo don't sound right with the duet between Ron and DJ. Rons' tone is very soft and digital, where DJ's tone is weak in itself but it's abit more choppy and sharp. So when Ron takes over from DJ during the fast run, it sounds so un-balanced and un-natrual...

I can't see why no one has noticed it and made a point to bring it up, because it's noticable as anything. Too different of a tone those guys have got, to share an iconic solo like SCOM...

If DJ can't to it all......give it to Ron to do, at least then it would sound all in the same notation at least. <_<

THE SAMETHING GOES FOR NR SOLO BETWEEN Richard and DJ tones' I've been telling this for years. Let Fink to play the solo (past line-up) and now I think that DJ should play the 1st and 2nd NR solos IMO.

So if Axl comped them because Buckethead left, does that mean the other tracks are comped too like the General?

I think Ron said the reason he did not record over most of Buckets tracks was because they've been around so long.

Dunno, but its possible that songs like The General are comped. Cant honestly tell without listening. :shrugs:

But what Bumble said isnt actually true: he did rerecord Catcher and Riad's solo.

Dunno, but its possible that songs like The General are comped. Cant honestly tell without listening. :shrugs:

But what Bumble said isnt actually true: he did rerecord Catcher and Riad's solo.

I said most of them, I think he recorded over ones that Axl couldn't comp enough to his perfection.

I bet he was impressed how Ron learned the parts rather quickly when I must have took Axl years to produce.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I said most of them, I think he recorded over ones that Axl couldn't comp enough to his perfection.

I bet he was impressed how Ron learned the parts rather quickly when I must have took Axl years to produce.

Thats what I believe - he changed the songs that apparently didnt have the best solos. We know that Catcher was around for some years before the CD release, but we also know that Axl hinted that May's playing wouldnt be there in Catcher. So he most likely replaced Robin or Bucket on that one.

Regarding his tone, well, its obvious that he went for the more classic tone live. He's not there to play Bucket's parts only, but also his and Slash's. He found a term in between imo that works for most if not all songs. Like Better - his tone doesnt really work well for the solo imo (the killswitch bit), but works for his own parts and the rest of the song. Bucket had his own sound and worked for some songs and did not for others (SCOM mid solos, Jungle, etc) and never had to play someone else's parts apart from Slash's.

In his solo career he goes for the tones he wants and thats why songs like Strawberry Fields, Invisible, Father, Let Your Voice Be Heard and Kind of Hush sound fkn awesome imo. Now if we're talking about Guns its a totally different beast and finding a term in between Better and November Rain, going through Civil War and Sweet Child aint easy imo.

Funnily enough the song that requires the most beautiful and correct killswitch sound works amazingly well live, and yes, you guessed it...There Was a Time.

There's no need for BH now they have Ron.

Couldn't feel any more differently, Matt. To me Axl and Bucket together are like Michael and Quincy, hand in glove. When the headline slot at Rio 4 was announced I ran around the house going crazy and booked tickets. When Axl put out the pree release bashing Bucket for leaving at short notice before the festival I was crushed and haven't felt the same way about the New Guns Since. New Guns for me was Axl, Bucket, Robin and Brain, no disrespect to other members. I only care about hearing the other several CDs worth from their sessions unmolested.

Nobody here has mentioned that Bucket staying away and washing his hands with Guns has more to it than the album taking years. He (and Robin) had to be persuaded to do a first world tour playing mostly old song to get people to accept the band before they released the album and went with mostly new material. When it was clear in 2004 that they were gonna go out and cover Appetite, November and YCBM again that wasn't what he wanted.

Also, he was treated badly by Tommy, Del and possibly others in the inner circle, not to mention not getting along with Robin. He was prepared to put up with what amounted to bullying if the reward was taking over the world with Axl (10 extra tracks, 3rd album...to tour and tour etc) but with no release on the horizon and just more cover-band duties he gave up.

The reason he wont even entertain the idea of a cameo appearance live is because Tommy and Del were cunts to him.

I've been told this by several people who've had direct contact with Bucket and Tommy's comments after Bucket left make his own feelings pretty clear ('Him leaving was the best thing that could have happened', 'Good riddance' etc).

The reason I was given for their dislike of him, besides all the typical Bucket kooky stuff, was that he has more sway musically with Axl. He was in the 'A' group, he was Axl's main personal collaborator.

Take what you want from that, i'm pretty sure enough of it's true.

I had hoped that by now Axl and Bucket would have taken over the world together like Axl and Slash once did and that they were on album 4 or 5 with a string of celebrated tours, award show performances, videos etc under their belts, multiple rock magazine covers, down with the kids etc. It could have been magic.

Again the magic word. Sometimes I feel like Im in a dreamland, not posting on a forum about Guns. Stop dreaming already, this magic you are talking about has no logic behind it whatsoever. Bucket is not your standart rock mainstream guitarist and his songs would not appeal to the masses by any means. Everyone thats into Bucket knows that. Hes one of my fav guys but he simply isnt and certainly will never be a mainstream guy. We are talking about a guy that uses a mask so people would focus on his music, not on his face or Brian - hes in for the music only. While it would have been awesome... It simply isnt realistic. Will never happen. Hes an experimental guitarist for a reason...and thats something maaaaagic - his songs and his work only appeal to those who matter and not to Justin and Shakira fans. Thats what I love the most about the likes of Bucket, Shawn, Guthrie, Ron, Mattias and even Robin, yes - he was never in Guns to act like a rockstar, he was himself. Nothing against Slash, Joe Perry or even Vai, Im sure they enjoy what they do, but guys that push themselves while still being soulful and showing what feeling is all about - and not writing a song to be heard on the radio - are the ones I love and respect the most. Thats why these guys are respected a whole fkn lot by everyone - they arent sellouts and write music for themselves, not for record companies. Oh and they happen to be some of the best guitarists and musicians out there (sans Shawn...).

Who said Ron cant be that guy that's writing amazing music with Axl? He most likely will write some of the best Guns songs, Im sure of that. Ron is a band guy while Bucket is a duo-trio guy. Both can write songs as band members but thats not Buckets cup of tea so he was like 'this is my and Axls show'. Ron certainly will work with everyone and listen to their ideas while still creating his own thing, thats why he's a much better fit in Guns. Oh...and he happens to be an awesome songwriter, too. im sure they'll do amazing things in a studio given the chance.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

There's no need for BH now they have Ron.

Couldn't feel any more differently, Matt. To me Axl and Bucket together are like Michael and Quincy, hand in glove. When the headline slot at Rio 4 was announced I ran around the house going crazy and booked tickets. When Axl put out the pree release bashing Bucket for leaving at short notice before the festival I was crushed and haven't felt the same way about the New Guns Since. New Guns for me was Axl, Bucket, Robin and Brain, no disrespect to other members. I only care about hearing the other several CDs worth from their sessions unmolested.

Nobody here has mentioned that Bucket staying away and washing his hands with Guns has more to it than the album taking years. He (and Robin) had to be persuaded to do a first world tour playing mostly old song to get people to accept the band before they released the album and went with mostly new material. When it was clear in 2004 that they were gonna go out and cover Appetite, November and YCBM again that wasn't what he wanted.

Also, he was treated badly by Tommy, Del and possibly others in the inner circle, not to mention not getting along with Robin. He was prepared to put up with what amounted to bullying if the reward was taking over the world with Axl (10 extra tracks, 3rd album...to tour and tour etc) but with no release on the horizon and just more cover-band duties he gave up.

The reason he wont even entertain the idea of a cameo appearance live is because Tommy and Del were cunts to him.

I've been told this by several people who've had direct contact with Bucket and Tommy's comments after Bucket left make his own feelings pretty clear ('Him leaving was the best thing that could have happened', 'Good riddance' etc).

The reason I was given for their dislike of him, besides all the typical Bucket kooky stuff, was that he has more sway musically with Axl. He was in the 'A' group, he was Axl's main personal collaborator.

Take what you want from that, i'm pretty sure enough of it's true.

I had hoped that by now Axl and Bucket would have taken over the world together like Axl and Slash once did and that they were on album 4 or 5 with a string of celebrated tours, award show performances, videos etc under their belts, multiple rock magazine covers, down with the kids etc. It could have been magic.

Great post, I'd love to know more about what happened between he and Del James, but I think the message was pretty clear in 2006: Bucket wouldnt get back.

But I gotta agree with Bruno Poeys: he wasnt really into sharing things with other bandmembers. And Ron is more than capable of doing that too, although I think DJ is really what Axl wants now.

At this point there is no reason going on about the past. Buckets work with Guns is amazing but Ron is very capable of pulling off some amazing shit too. I want to hear what the current lineup can do.

Ron's work on Chinese is phenomena. I loved his solos for Scraped and Riad and look forward to hearing more of his stuff.

GN'R fans tend to live in the past, Buckethead's days are over, time to move on.

At this point there is no reason going on about the past. Buckets work with Guns is amazing but Ron is very capable of pulling off some amazing shit too. I want to hear what the current lineup can do.

Ron's work on Chinese is phenomena. I loved his solos for Scraped and Riad and look forward to hearing more of his stuff.

GN'R fans tend to live in the past, Buckethead's days are over, time to move on.

Axl confirmed Robin's work on the next record is done, as well as telling a fan "Bucket's solo on Silkworms will blow our minds" so as long as their work remains, we are hopeful.

Axl confirmed Robin's work on the next record is done, as well as telling a fan "Bucket's solo on Silkworms will blow our minds" so as long as their work remains, we are hopeful.

Who knows if that record will see light of day. It seems some current members (Ashba) would rather work on "new material" which can screw up the process of the unreleased material.

If there's any unheard Bucket/Robin material for GN'R I'd be the first in line to get the cd but at this point they probably wont see light of day.

Who knows if that record will see light of day. It seems some current members (Ashba) would rather work on "new material" which can screw up the process of the unreleased material.

If there's any unheard Bucket/Robin material for GN'R I'd be the first in line to get the cd but at this point they probably wont see light of day.

Hmmm but the current members have stated that they have not recorded as a collective as of yet... I don't think Axl would discard songs like Thyme, Atlas, The General, Seven etc which were worked on for years and years and even hired orchestras, harpists, producers, other guitarists(Brian May etc) just to suit his current bandmembers..

Hmmm but the current members have stated that they have not recorded as a collective as of yet... I don't think Axl would discard songs like Thyme, Atlas, The General, Seven etc which were worked on for years and years and even hired orchestras, harpists, producers, other guitarists(Brian May etc) just to suit his current bandmembers..

I know it is crazy to spend all that money and not do anything but it sounds like something he would do.

I don't think Ashba likes the Chinese stuff.

I've heard for years of beef between Robin and Bucket but I've never seen any quotes or interviews that actually confirm it.

I think that the animosity dissipated after a while. I'm fairly certain they recorded a song together for the Ghost of Mars soundtrack?

Also how can we forget this:

Does this look like two people that hate eachother?? Lol!

Edited by Young_Gun

I've heard for years of beef between Robin and Bucket but I've never seen any quotes or interviews that actually confirm it.

I think that the animosity dissipated after a while. I'm fairly certain they recorded a song together for the Ghost of Mars soundtrack?

You can't hear the things Bucket says to Robin on stage. "I am going to cut you into little pieces and bury you if you do that again!"

No, that looks like two men, i'd guess mid to late thirties, wearing makeup and junk food packaging on their head kissing each other.

Nothing at all wrong with that by the way.

Edited by spunko12345

You can't hear the things Bucket says to Robin on stage. "I am going to cut you into little pieces and bury you if you do that again!"

Bucket leaned in too though! He reciprocated!!!

Thats just what Guns need, another feud we can discuss.

I think Robin and Buckethead got on together fine...

There's many times onstage during the 2002 USA tour, that you can just see that they loved each other. It may have been hard to see that from the audiences perspective because Bucket was obviously in a mask, and Robin seemed to have a real "closed" personality in 2002, at least compared to 2006, and he rarely smiled onstage in 02. But that didn't mean that him and Bucket never got on, there's so many magical moments Robin and Bucket shared during 2001-02 live.