Axl Chat's, Buckethead related

bumblecool

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he hasn't wowed me since his snakepit days. I think he is more into generic music.

His solos on UYI were mindblowing though... I play the Estranged solos or Don't Cry solo and I'm just like "wow". Not technical or lightning fast, but the phrasing, timing, note choices, nuances etc all make it come together in a cohesive way and remains consistent through the whole solo. No dry spots at all. I miss that. I hear some of it on his VR stuff but not nearly to the same extent.

The Spanish guitar at the end of Double Talking Jive was the most progressive I've heard heard him.

That's a good one too. UYI I and II feature his best solos in my opinion, better than Appetite really(sans SCOM). I'm also partial to his solo his The Garden although I don't think he wrote that one..

I don't think he wanted to progress which is why Axl tried to get other guitarists to come in so he can he inspired. Finally he found Robin who could play bluesy but is in alternative territory and the guitar sound was further dimensioned by Buckethead.

I think Ron is a mix of Buckethead and Slash, Fortus is like Izzy in guitar with more skill and DJ just plays like Slash.

I don't think he wanted to progress which is why Axl tried to get other guitarists to come in so he can he inspired. Finally he found Robin who could play bluesy but is in alternative territory and the guitar sound was further dimensioned by Buckethead.

I think Ron is a mix of Buckethead and Slash, Fortus is like Izzy in guitar with more skill and DJ just plays like Slash.

Robin's solos on Chidem are very out of the box. I respect him as a studio musician very much. There are guitarists much better than him but they don't have their own style. With Robin, you now it's Robin playing. The whole loose and floaty feel, it's his.

He was totally geeking over his guitars in his book, no matter how cool he plays it. Fortus as well, major guitar geek.

Nothing wrong with that. Just they study the different fields .

He probably fawns over his guitar collection for sure, but to me, a guitar freak is more along the lines of a virtuoso playing guitar hours on end. I don't think Slash's technical skills have progressed greatly over the last 20 years...

I don't think Buckethead is interested. Why did he leave? Can anyone briefly tell me what happened? Not too fond of nuGn'R history.

Bucket's management said it was over Rose's failure to tour or put out a record...

I have often wondered what is meant by the term technical in relation to guitart playing. I personally dont play so I'd be interested to know what makes a good technical player and how its better than people Kieth Richards, Slash or other bluesy guitarists. Im not start another bitchfest here as I can admit that Buckethead has something that Slash/Dj ashba etc dont, but I cant put my finger on what it is. I think maybe its down to each guitarists musical preferences. Could slash do what bucket does if he set to it but he's just not interested in that kind of music? Bucket can clearly do what Slash does but to me there seems to be something missing there. Is it something intangible like "heart" "soul" or any other cliche that you care to mention or is it that he's bored by playing something thats too easy.

I know there is a shitload of questions in there and I dont know the answers but I will say that I love what Bucket does and I love what Slash does and each of them are better than the other in there own styles. So when the term technical is used what does it actually mean? because its an arbitary term, you could say that Bucket is not technically good as Slash when it comes to Slash's style because he definitely doesnt sound as good when he plays that style.

*Edit* And vice versa

Edited by spunko12345

Guest ben9785

Ron & Bucket are both on a similar technical level but each brings something similar, I enjoy them both for different reasons.

I would very much like to hear the outstanding songs which Bucket may have co-wrote and/or played on.

Outside of that I think Axl, Buckethead and Brain would make a great project together, maybe doing a film soundtrack or something. They can do some instrumental music with Axl on piano in a similar tone to "Colma" but at the same time have some heavier songs with Axl on vocals that sounds like "The Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell". I would love to hear that.. maybe more than another GNR album at this point. Thats just because of my personal music interest thats all..

Edited by ben9785

He was totally geeking over his guitars in his book, no matter how cool he plays it. Fortus as well, major guitar geek.

He probably fawns over his guitar collection for sure, but to me, a guitar freak is more along the lines of a virtuoso playing guitar hours on end. I don't think Slash's technical skills have progressed greatly over the last 20 years...

I don't think Buckethead is interested. Why did he leave? Can anyone briefly tell me what happened? Not too fond of nuGn'R history.

Bucket's management said it was over Rose's failure to tour or put out a record...

I have often wondered what is meant by the term technical in relation to guitart playing. I personally dont play so I'd be interested to know what makes a good technical player and how its better than people Kieth Richards, Slash or other bluesy guitarists. Im not start another bitchfest here as I can admit that Buckethead has something that Slash/Dj ashba etc dont, but I cant put my finger on what it is. I think maybe its down to each guitarists musical preferences. Could slash do what bucket does if he set to it but he's just not interested in that kind of music? Bucket can clearly do what Slash does but to me there seems to be something missing there. Is it something intangible like "heart" "soul" or any other cliche that you care to mention or is it that he's bored by playing something thats too easy.

I know there is a shitload of questions in there and I dont know the answers but I will say that I love what Bucket does and I love what Slash does and each of them are better than the other in there own styles. So when the term technical is used what does it actually mean? because its an arbitary term, you could say that Bucket is not technically good as Slash when it comes to Slash's style because he definitely doesnt sound as good when he plays that style.

*Edit* And vice versa

Being a 'technical' guitarist usually involves having the skill to do what most guitarists cannot. Whether it be 8 finger tapping, fast slides, sweeping techniques, shredding, very fast bends, going through scales swiftly, playing complex chords(ie not just your basic open chords) etc. Playing in odd timings and multiple keys also. I think it's just playing guitar at it's most complex level. I personally do not think Slash could play like Ron or Bucket even if he set out to do it unless he practiced for a few years progressively.

What Bucket is probably missing to you is most likely "feel", heart, soul. It's a very vague term and does not have a definite meaning but I think it's when a guitarist exceeds a level of simplicity. Much like when too many notes are thrown into a lead run and/or too quickly, it lacks soul. Or when a bend is done too quickly where it's basically a slow slide up and down. It lacks soul. Or when a vibrato is done too quickly and/or with not enough force. Also when a solo runs through many different keys it throws off the listener. To me, whilst playing, I can conjure up a decent soulful solo whilst sticking within the pentatonic(blues) and Aelion(basic minor 'sad' scale), however once I add some notes in there or venture into other scales, it's harder to remain in that soulful element. Apparently the human mind can also recall only 10 or so different notes within a short period of time, so those excess notes would be wasted. Also helps if there is a motif or a 'story' to the solo, much like Don't Cry's solo where it's sort of telling a story and taking you through a journey. Almost like a lead vocal without the lyrics.

I personally do not think Bucket lacks soul in his playing at all though, he has great, powerful bends and vibrato and good sense for melody and can lay off the million notes a second routine occasionally. But Slash probably plays more melodic all the time which gives off that impression. That's my opinion anyway :)

Ron has a lot of feel whenever he plays fretless.

Fretless tends to give off that feeling due to it being able to produce microtones(notes inbetween the usual A, A sharp, B, C etc) so when you slide from one note to the other, it emulates the exact effect of bending to that note, which can't be done on a fretted guitar. That's the textbook aspect to it but he may just play more soulfully with a fretless, I have only heard a few of his fretless solo examples.

To me, Bumblefoot's main problem is his tone. It's not as heavy and fat as Bucket's tone. Also sounds a bit digital, not sure why tho.

You can clearly hear it in his killswitch - it doesn't sound nowhere near as good as Bucket. Richard's killswitch sounds much closer.

I know its a matter of taste. Robin's tone is very unusual too (and highly unique), specially in his arpeggios-focused songs like Patience, Prostitute and Madagascar. But his lead tone is really unbelievable to me, like in This I Love.

Possible, however we all know Axl is a big fan of digital manipulation. I think it was the Riad(or scraped) solo that was an amalgamation of Bucket and Ron's takes.

Actually, I think Brain said once how Axl wanted him to play the songs in one take to have the right feel.

I trully think Axl wanted to not have as much Pro Tools as people think, but he had to once band members left.

To me, Bumblefoot's main problem is his tone. It's not as heavy and fat as Bucket's tone. Also sounds a bit digital, not sure why tho.

You can clearly hear it in his killswitch - it doesn't sound nowhere near as good as Bucket. Richard's killswitch sounds much closer.

I know its a matter of taste. Robin's tone is very unusual too (and highly unique), specially in his arpeggios-focused songs like Patience, Prostitute and Madagascar. But his lead tone is really unbelievable to me, like in This I Love.

Possible, however we all know Axl is a big fan of digital manipulation. I think it was the Riad(or scraped) solo that was an amalgamation of Bucket and Ron's takes.

Actually, I think Brain said once how Axl wanted him to play the songs in one take to have the right feel.

I trully think Axl wanted to not have as much Pro Tools as people think, but he had to once band members left.

Great point Voodoo!!!...

I also feel that the above reasons, is why the SCOM solo don't sound right with the duet between Ron and DJ. Rons' tone is very soft and digital, where DJ's tone is weak in itself but it's abit more choppy and sharp. So when Ron takes over from DJ during the fast run, it sounds so un-balanced and un-natrual...

I can't see why no one has noticed it and made a point to bring it up, because it's noticable as anything. Too different of a tone those guys have got, to share an iconic solo like SCOM...

If DJ can't to it all......give it to Ron to do, at least then it would sound all in the same notation at least. <_<

Brains drums are an exception which alluded me. However he did have to play Josh's parts note for note also lol. It is inconsistent with Axl's penchant for comping solos though I must admit. I'm just going by what Axl and Brian May themselves said.

*Edit* And vice versa

Being a 'technical' guitarist usually involves having the skill to do what most guitarists cannot. Whether it be 8 finger tapping, fast slides, sweeping techniques, shredding, very fast bends, going through scales swiftly, playing complex chords(ie not just your basic open chords) etc. Playing in odd timings and multiple keys also. I think it's just playing guitar at it's most complex level. I personally do not think Slash could play like Ron or Bucket even if he set out to do it unless he practiced for a few years progressively.

What Bucket is probably missing to you is most likely "feel", heart, soul. It's a very vague term and does not have a definite meaning but I think it's when a guitarist exceeds a level of simplicity. Much like when too many notes are thrown into a lead run and/or too quickly, it lacks soul. Or when a bend is done too quickly where it's basically a slow slide up and down. It lacks soul. Or when a vibrato is done too quickly and/or with not enough force. Also when a solo runs through many different keys it throws off the listener. To me, whilst playing, I can conjure up a decent soulful solo whilst sticking within the pentatonic(blues) and Aelion(basic minor 'sad' scale), however once I add some notes in there or venture into other scales, it's harder to remain in that soulful element. Apparently the human mind can also recall only 10 or so different notes within a short period of time, so those excess notes would be wasted. Also helps if there is a motif or a 'story' to the solo, much like Don't Cry's solo where it's sort of telling a story and taking you through a journey. Almost like a lead vocal without the lyrics.

I personally do not think Bucket lacks soul in his playing at all though, he has great, powerful bends and vibrato and good sense for melody and can lay off the million notes a second routine occasionally. But Slash probably plays more melodic all the time which gives off that impression. That's my opinion anyway :)

Thanks, that was very interesting. It kind of spelled out what I thought but I don't have the knowledge about guitar playing to explain it like you did.

*Edit* And vice versa

Thanks, that was very interesting. It kind of spelled out what I thought but I don't have the knowledge about guitar playing to explain it like you did.

No problem :) That's my interpretation of it at least :)

Great point Voodoo!!!...

I also feel that the above reasons, is why the SCOM solo don't sound right with the duet between Ron and DJ. Rons' tone is very soft and digital, where DJ's tone is weak in itself but it's abit more choppy and sharp. So when Ron takes over from DJ during the fast run, it sounds so un-balanced and un-natrual...

I can't see why no one has noticed it and made a point to bring it up, because it's noticable as anything. Too different of a tone those guys have got, to share an iconic solo like SCOM...

If DJ can't to it all......give it to Ron to do, at least then it would sound all in the same notation at least. <_<

Because Axl wants DJ to shine, maybe. Its IMHO the most important solo in GNR songs. I won't get into why I think Ron got the most difficult part of the solo, but the thing is that DJ gets the honor for a crowd pleaser.

But yeah, Ron and DJ have different tones. I don't DJ's tone is bad, but I don't really love it either. I do love Ron's fretless + wah tone, I think it sounds awesome (maybe because he uses 0.11 or above strings in his fretless).

Brains drums are an exception which alluded me. However he did have to play Josh's parts note for note also lol. It is inconsistent with Axl's penchant for comping solos though I must admit. I'm just going by what Axl and Brian May themselves said.

I know, and, like I said, its very noticeble how Bucket's solos in songs like Scraped and Riad were also comped. I think even Better was comped too.

And, to be sure, this is why I say Richard is the closest thing Gnr has to a lead player. DJ and Ron are kinda like polar opposites occupying extreme notions of what a lead rock n roll player is: one is the super technical, nerdy, reserved type and the other is driven by image, contemporary-ness, cigarettes, tattoos; a lil cocky, does crowd-interaction etc. So between them Axl can achieve a wide range of effects. But to anchor this, Richard is in the middle of those two AND he plays bluesy rock better than either of them.

Buckethead is a fantastic player and writer but he just doesn't fit in term of the visibility factor ...

Dumb to say, i know but it`s the truth ! When Guns finally returned in 2001 / 2002 everybody was like : What the fuck is that ? A circus ? A goth guy ( Robin ) and a freak with a mask ( Bucket ) ?!?!?!?!

No Offense here !! :)

This incarnation of Guns iy my favourite

Ron is such a good guitarist and he fits really well.

Only my opinion.

I totally agree with you dude. All the boys fit really well. Their individualism and sound gels perfectly !

Great point Voodoo!!!...

Because Axl wants DJ to shine, maybe. Its IMHO the most important solo in GNR songs. I won't get into why I think Ron got the most difficult part of the solo, but the thing is that DJ gets the honor for a crowd pleaser.

But yeah, Ron and DJ have different tones. I don't DJ's tone is bad, but I don't really love it either. I do love Ron's fretless + wah tone, I think it sounds awesome (maybe because he uses 0.11 or above strings in his fretless).

I know, and, like I said, its very noticeble how Bucket's solos in songs like Scraped and Riad were also comped. I think even Better was comped too.

Which solo in Scraped and Riad are you talking about because I am sure the main solo was Ron. I believe Bucket did the outro on Scraped.