I wonder if Axl has seen that, but most people consider the band that played at the HOF as GNR.

izzydoezit

So far 67,558 people have voted on this poll on TMZ, and 3/4 actually say that the real GNR is Slash's band that played at the induction ceremony. TMZ is not really biased towards Slash or anything and yet most people don't think that the band Axl tours with is "real Guns N' Roses".

http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/16/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-new-singer-myles-kennedy-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/#comments-anchor

Eh, no ;). The question in the TMZ poll is: "Who deserves the Guns N' Roses name, Axl or Slash?". It is not a poll about what band of musicians comprise "Guns N' Roses". I believe lots of people who think that Slash deserves the name also realize that Axl's got it.

yeah, that's even worse if you think about it. Axl has the name and according to the public opinion he doesn't deserve it.

I prefer people to not be ignorant about the fact that Axl holds the name. I also appreciate Axl being an underdog having to prove that his decision to continue with the name, was a good move.

People seem to forget that Slash quit guns, Duff quit guns, Izzy quit guns, All at different times (years apart) The band never actually broke up. why would he not continue with the name.

Dave Mustaine is a similar story with megadeth accept he is much more dedicated to the fans and his band than Axl seeing as Mustaine continually released albums while musicians were fired/quit.

duff, slash, and matt quit/got fired pretty much around the same time. I mean duff and matt left later on, but its not like anything was going on between the time slash left and the time they left. they just sorta sat around at home until they finally felt like moving on. he was basically alone at that point.

I see your point, But focusing on the original members whose names appeared on the original contracts when they got signed, 3 quit and 1 got fired so mathematically that just leaves Mr Rose. Im not defending him using the name and i don't nescassarily agree with what he has done with it since then but its just that regardless of who is in GnR now, there was so much time in between the end and the new beginning that i guess the general public thought they had actually broken up.

Edited by megaguns1982

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So far 67,558 people have voted on this poll on TMZ, and 3/4 actually say that the real GNR is Slash's band that played at the induction ceremony. TMZ is not really biased towards Slash or anything and yet most people don't think that the band Axl tours with is "real Guns N' Roses".

http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/16/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-new-singer-myles-kennedy-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/#comments-anchor

Eh, no ;). The question in the TMZ poll is: "Who deserves the Guns N' Roses name, Axl or Slash?". It is not a poll about what band of musicians comprise "Guns N' Roses". I believe lots of people who think that Slash deserves the name also realize that Axl's got it.

yeah, that's even worse if you think about it. Axl has the name and according to the public opinion he doesn't deserve it.

I prefer people to not be ignorant about the fact that Axl holds the name. I also appreciate Axl being an underdog having to prove that his decision to continue with the name, was a good move.

People seem to forget that Slash quit guns, Duff quit guns, Izzy quit guns, All at different times (years apart) The band never actually broke up. why would he not continue with the name.

Dave Mustaine is a similar story with megadeth accept he is much more dedicated to the fans and his band than Axl seeing as Mustaine continually released albums while musicians were fired/quit.

Megadeth was always Mustaine's thing. He created the band and was the core songwriter. There is no parallel between Axl and Mustaine actually. Megadeth is like a solo thing. So he fires and hires anyone he wants. GNR was a collaborative effort from day 1.

Of course a gossip site poll is going to side with the guys the media makes out to be the victims. Most people hate Axl and don't even know why. The internet is full of followers, and it's cool to say Axl is the asshole.

Sorry i disagree..

Axl is still a legend and probably will always be, but his "vision of GNR" is not as important as the band Guns N' Roses where Slash and Duff were in.

you can tell from the ammount of coverage the old GUNS received in just one "reuniting" day.

you can tune to a new GNR gig and notice most of the people don't care about the new songs at all, it's always the ones from the classic lineup that attracts the crowd and drives the energy.

so yeah most people refuse to accept Axl's "vision of GNR" as the true Guns N' Roses.. but that doesn't mean they hate him. that's just polarizing opinions.

Megadeth was always Mustaine's thing. He created the band and was the core songwriter. There is no parallel between Axl and Mustaine actually. Megadeth is like a solo thing. So he fires and hires anyone he wants. GNR was a collaborative effort from day 1.

Heh, but those days weren't many before the band started writing songs as they do today, with band members sending in song sketches that other guys contribute to. So at the time when the UYI lineup fell apart, Guns N' Roses had completely seized to be a group of musicians writing music in the romanticized, collaborative effort. In fact, they barely saw each other during the making of UYI.

A great example of what a band can go through without changing its name is Fleetwood Mac. This band started out as a British blues rock act in the 60's, then lost all members except two who moved to the US and continued as a adult, contemporary rock band bringing in a bunch of new guys. In other words, the band completely changed its lineup, style, region, music, etc. Did fans complain? I am sure they did. As much as GN'R fans? I sure hope not, GN'R fans are emotional, irrational whiners. What is interesting with Fleetwood Mac is that they succeeded far more after the changes, releasing 'Rumours' in the 70s and becoming one of the world's biggest bands. I am not saying that I believe Axl will manage to do that, but it would be cool. And I will certainly support his effort to do so, especially when you realize that the alternative is not a reunited GN'R, but a dead GN'R.

I don't know if YOU have seen that, but Axl hasn't really given a fuck about that since 1997.

It is what it is, it's unfortunate, but it's also been 15 years now.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

What, Axl isn't winning a poll on TMZ? Shocking, he must be devistated. Axl is public enemy number one at the moment. However, the fact is that people are quick to forget, it's fresh now, in a couple of months people in general won't care.

Edited by mustaine

It's very easy to explain. Slash was every bit as big as Axl in old Guns, so if Slash is playing with Duff and Steven(and Matt and Gilby), that's going to seem more like real Guns than just Axl and his latest lineup. Of course, neither is the full deal, but almost no one gives a shit about the legalities of who owns the name...

The simplest explanation is the truest and best.

What do they want exactly?

Be back in 1988 at a Guns N' Roses concert, wearing a long mullet with a stomach full of Budweiser's, and finally get laid.

Yes. genius! It must be an age-ism thing like that. I hope you were alive back in the day, because it's a fool's move to try and make a funny about somewhere you've never even been. Yes, mullets and Budwiser, that sums up the original GNR fanbase. :o

You know what the people fucking want, Mr. Timbre? They want their band to have an authentic "sound", not some diluted BS.

Show me one clip of Better without Robin, that sounds as good as the clip from HOB last month when Robin slipped in.

Show me one clip of Sweet Child being performed by Nu Guns that sounds as honest as the HOF (musically, not vocally) version.

I realize that many folks will generally hone in on the vocalist at a show, but many are also in tune with the instumentational aspect of a live show.

I sometimes wonder what the original five dudes would say if you could go back in timeand show them what becomes of their little gang of dirtballs...

As long as Axl tries to convince the public his new band is GNR they'll always be in the shadow of Slash, Duff, and Izzy. This isn't really a matter of opinion, the success Guns N' Roses had is way to much to expect anybody to live up to, which is really the dumbest thing about using the GNR brand in 2012. It is what it is though I guess, they'll tour, hardcore fans will show up, maybe in 7 years another album will come out that gets a few singles played on the radio.. :shrugs:

Edited by sweetness

Axl hates Slash, because Slash got way to much attention when he was in Gn'R and even gets more attention while doing is solo projects than Axl coverband.

That's why Axl replaced all the bandmembers with some unknown guyes, just so Axl would be in the spotlight all by himself.

Very funny shit!

Guest RonMexico82

The only thing that died was any chance Axl had to ever convince anyone other than his sycophantic circle that his band is GNR. A name does not a band make. He probably spent the night sitting on his electronic toilet crying into a bowl of rocky road ice cream.

The only thing that died was any chance Axl had to ever convince anyone other than his sycophantic circle that his band is GNR. A name does not a band make. He probably spent the night sitting on his electronic toilet crying into a bowl of rocky road ice cream.

or maybe Axl was at a party watching the decline of the mercenaries :shrugs:

and laughing about what VR was doing ...

Edited by Angeles_

The only thing that died was any chance Axl had to ever convince anyone other than his sycophantic circle that his band is GNR. A name does not a band make.

Yes, Axl not attending the HOF ceremony was the only chance he ever had of convincing people that his band is Guns N' Roses. This is probably the most insightful post ever on this forum, elegantly and wisely not considering the fact that Axl and the rest of the band has released music under the GN'R name recently and toured the world to great reviews. I look forward to more wisdom from you, please don't let it be too long.

The only thing that died was any chance Axl had to ever convince anyone other than his sycophantic circle that his band is GNR. A name does not a band make.

Yes, Axl not attending the HOF ceremony was the only chance he ever had of convincing people that his band is Guns N' Roses. This is probably the most insightful post ever on this forum, elegantly and wisely not considering the fact that Axl and the rest of the band has released music under the GN'R name recently and toured the world to great reviews. I look forward to more wisdom from you, please don't let it be too long.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: