bill ward officially not playing with sabbath

bran

Bill thinks he's good enough to play the entire set and doesn't want to take the risk of being replaced should his drumming not be adequate anymore

Tony, Geezer and Ozzy don't want to take that risk, were willing to give him a try and see how it went, while keeping someone backstage who could fill in if need be

I have to side with the 3 guys on this one. Reunion or not, if you're incapable of sufficiently doing something as important to the structure of the song as drumming is, you can't play the show.

It's not an issue of being able to play a full set or not, Bill is capable of that. It's a matter of the rest of the Sabbath camp wanting to belittle Bill's involvement and role in Sabbath.

Going back to my Vinnie Appice comment, I'm glad no one took it the wrong way, but I'd like to clarify. I didn't mean to sound like I thought Vinnie should replace Bill, because when it comes to the original Sabbath its those 4 guys, and no one else. I was just saying I wouldn't call Bill an essential element of the Sabbath sound as a be all, end all...just the original lineup. Glad no one jumped down my throat given the opportunity :P

I was just saying I wouldn't call Bill an essential element of the Sabbath sound as a be all, end all...just the original lineup.

Not sure I agree with that. There are some drummers who are essential to a bands sound like John Bonham, Keith Moon, Corky Lang ( Mountain) who just can't be replaced by any drummer. I think Steven was that type of drummer in Guns...

Bill played some unusual time signatures in BS music to the point where he almost sounded like he was a beat behind the rest of the band but it really added a distinct sound to the music.

I am a huge Mountain fan and have lots of bootlegs and I could tell you in a second which shows Corky Lang is not drumming on as he took leaves from the band from time to time.

Not that they are the best technically but some drummers just can't be replaced without changing the sound and feel of the music IMHO.......

Edited by classicrawker

Classic Rock Magazine

BLACK SABBATH PLAY INTIMATE HOMETOWN GIG AS BILL WARD BUST-UP INTENSIFIES

What a week it's been for Black Sabbath!

The reunited band played an up-close-and-personal show in their hometown of Birmingham, warming up for their forthcoming appearance at the Download festival. But the ongoing disagreements with original member Bill Ward meant that Tommy Clufetos, from Ozzy Osbourne's solo band, deputised on drums.

Meanwhile, the so-called 'Sabs Opera' cranked up another gear when all photos of Ward were mysteriously removed from the Sabbath website. People initially blamed the band… until it emerged that Ward's attorney had initiated the move. Ward then complained that he had been snubbed by Sabs bassist Geezer Butler and that, contrary to rumours, he would have been happy to play the Brum gig for free.

Still, there was some heartening news: at Saturday’s warm-up show the audience hailed Tony Iommi’s fight back from cancer by chanting his name, a moment which clearly moved the guitarist.

Check out the links below to read about the whole amazing drama.

Geezer Butler snubbed me says Bill Ward

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/geezer-butler-snubbed-me-says-bill-ward/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-Adestra&ns_campaign=1899&ns_source=Adestra&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=Geezer%20Butler%20snubbed%20me%20says%20Bill%20Ward&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=green_acres1%40charter.net&ns_mail_uid=60&ns_mail_job=2725

Bill Ward wiped from Sabbath website

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/black-sabbath-wipe-bill-ward-from-photo-history/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-Adestra&ns_campaign=1899&ns_source=Adestra&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=Bill%20Ward%20wiped%20from%20Sabbath%20website&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=green_acres1%40charter.net&ns_mail_uid=60&ns_mail_job=2725

Black Sabbath reunion review and setlist

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/black-sabbath-reunion-review-setlist-iommi-moved-as-crowd-chant-his-name/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-Adestra&ns_campaign=1899&ns_source=Adestra&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=Black%20Sabbath%20reunion%20review%20and%20setlist&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=green_acres1%40charter.net&ns_mail_uid=60&ns_mail_job=2725

Bill Ward contract claim was 'joke'

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/bill-ward-contract-claim-was-joke/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-Adestra&ns_campaign=1899&ns_source=Adestra&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=Bill%20Ward%20contract%20claim%20was%20%27joke%27&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=green_acres1%40charter.net&ns_mail_uid=60&ns_mail_job=2725

I don't know how capable he is today, but back on the first 4 albums Bill was definitely largely instrumental to their sound.

in 2005 he was able to do it, they had vinny waiting behind the curtain just in case but they never used had to go to him. i think for 3 or 4 shows bill would have been fine to play IMO

Bill or no Bill, the recording from the warmup gig is great. Ozzy sounds really good, too.

Also, not sure why people are shitting all over Sharon - until someone shows me evidence that it's in any way her fault, I have nothing against her.

She's doing 2 TV shows. To me, the incident with her accountant a while ago tells me she's minimally involved in Ozzy's career. She prob. coordinates Ozzfest and probably when Black Sabbath was initially getting together, she was there, but she hasn't been involved in rehearsals or the new recordings. It's mostly Tony and his manager's decision.

Bill or no Bill, the recording from the warmup gig is great. Ozzy sounds really good, too.

Also, not sure why people are shitting all over Sharon - until someone shows me evidence that it's in any way her fault, I have nothing against her.

She's doing 2 TV shows. To me, the incident with her accountant a while ago tells me she's minimally involved in Ozzy's career. She prob. coordinates Ozzfest and probably when Black Sabbath was initially getting together, she was there, but she hasn't been involved in rehearsals or the new recordings. It's mostly Tony and his manager's decision.

Exactly.

Except for when is comes to Ozzy solo (and even then, she doesn't have as much as an influence on him as a person as people think), Sharon has nothing to do with Ozzy or especially Black Sabbath.

I was just saying I wouldn't call Bill an essential element of the Sabbath sound as a be all, end all...just the original lineup.

Not sure I agree with that. There are some drummers who are essential to a bands sound like John Bonham, Keith Moon, Corky Lang ( Mountain) who just can't be replaced by any drummer. I think Steven was that type of drummer in Guns...

Bill played some unusual time signatures in BS music to the point where he almost sounded like he was a beat behind the rest of the band but it really added a distinct sound to the music.

I am a huge Mountain fan and have lots of bootlegs and I could tell you in a second which shows Corky Lang is not drumming on as he took leaves from the band from time to time.

Not that they are the best technically but some drummers just can't be replaced without changing the sound and feel of the music IMHO.......

Bill wouldn't have been right for anything post-Ozzy, that is the point I'm trying to make, to put it another way. He just wasn't the right fit anymore once Dio came in, and Heaven And Hell is proof of that. Vinnie really brought a whole new dimension to the drumming on those songs when he played them live, and he was the perfect fit for the Dio era. As far as I'm concerned, The Mob Rules is the best Sabbath album ever, because the 4 members gelled so well together.

Bill wouldn't have been right for anything post-Ozzy, that is the point I'm trying to make, to put it another way. He just wasn't the right fit anymore once Dio came in, and Heaven And Hell is proof of that. Vinnie really brought a whole new dimension to the drumming on those songs when he played them live, and he was the perfect fit for the Dio era. As far as I'm concerned, The Mob Rules is the best Sabbath album ever, because the 4 members gelled so well together.

heaven and hell is my favortie but mob rules is second :shades:

the mob rules era of sabbath gelled so well even during heaven and hell since vinny did most of the heaven and hell tour. its a real shame we didnt get 8 or 9 albums from this lineup i love born again and the tony martin era as well but man the dio/appice/butler/iommi era was special

Sorry I did not catch your drift in the original post and I agree 100% Bill was not the right drummer for the Dio era...And I prefer Heaven and Hell to Mob Rules but both albums kick ass!

On the topic of Black Sabbath, does anyone else not discredit the post-Dio eras?

This song is fucking dope:

I love every era of Sabbath to some extent. As far as the Tony Martin stuff goes, I really love Eternal Idol and Headless Cross (The title track of the latter is in my top 5 Sabbath songs across all eras).

On the topic of Black Sabbath, does anyone else not discredit the post-Dio eras?

This song is fucking dope:

great song but i prefer tony martins version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtHI0yJDbo

ancient warrior has a badass riff from eternal idol as well

love all of sabbath from ozzy to tony martin and everything in between i like forbidden as well(waits to get pelted with garbage) my fave post ozzy/dio albums would be probaby born again,headless cross, cross purposes

the eternal idol lineup was sick

tony martin- vocals

tony iommi- guitar

bob daisley- bass

eric singer- drums

Edited by bran