The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Okay, haven't watched all of Sweet Summer Sun yet, but I've checked it out. Despite the fact that I think the Hyde Park gigs were among the worst performances of the tour, Hyde Park definitely does make a good Blu Ray release. It looks and sounds great, no complaints in that department. It was filmed in 1.77:1, and while it's certainly an unconventional ratio, it does look good. There's some lame editing in it though - Ruby Tuesday is all shots of people in the crowd except during the choruses. If it's a concert video I want to see the band.

My only real gripes with it are the gripes I knew I had before I'd even seen it. The main concert is not a full gig front-to-back; it's 16 tracks, none of which are any of the rarities from those gigs and/or guest songs (Other than Midnight Rambler of course). There's 3 bonus tracks; Emotional Rescue, Before They Make Me Run, and Paint It Black. Seeing as the concert segment was culled from both nights, I have no clue why these weren't just included in the concert. Glad they included Emotional Rescue though, that was great live. I also still think they dropped the ball not doing a boxset a la Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang. Glastonbury was a phenomenal gig also worthy of release, and it's a shame there isn't any official release of the full tour production. Not to mention all of the (mostly) amazing guest performances. I suppose I can still hold out hope for this to happen at some point...

All in all, worth picking up, especially given the small price tag on it.

Some real good deals on some HBO series and some Warner Brother releases:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=231462

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=231544

EDIT: Ended up order two copies of Generation Kill. One for myself and one for my brother for Christmas. Both for just under $28 shipped. Not bad at all.