The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Are Dexter and Breaking Bad that good? Like good enough to buy them on blu-ray? Game of Thrones was a incredibly good blindbuy but I'm not sure about these two.

Can't speak about Dexter, but Breaking Bad is absolutely worth it. Give it a season or so before it really gets great.

They're at normal price now, just hoping for a sale on BF so I can get both.

I think this one looks awesome:

78753_slip.jpg

If there's a steep markdown on Breaking Bad I'll pick up the collection. It's got tons of exclusive extras I think, but ain't no way I'm shelling out $200 when I already own 5 seasons.

Just picked up the extended edition steelbook of The Hobbit.

The one from Best Buy? You know it's only 3D with no 2D playback, right? That was a big mystery on the blu-ray forums until it was finally confirmed and that's why I decided against getting it.

Returning it now. FFS, Best Buy customer service sucks. Had to wait in one queue to return it and then wait in a separate queue to order it online since they don't have the non- steelbook edition in store. They could only refund me cash for some reason and won't let me pay cash for the order even though it's the EXACT cost they just refunded me. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ.

Honestly, unless things have changed a lot since I worked there, it sounds like someone didn't know what the hell they were doing :lol:

Worst part about that whole thing - after I posted she was sorting out the order for the non-BB exclusive and she said it was $59.99! I pretty much told her to shove it, it's $29.99 on Amazon :lol:

Yeah, she definitely didn't know what the hell she was doing :lol:

Probably someone they hired for the holidays.

I want to get the extended edition of The Hobbit as well as replace all my Lord of the Rings DVD's for the blu ray. Does anyone know if the extended blu ray has more scenes than the extended DVDs?

Didn't know they didn't have the same amount. Sheesh. How long are the extended DVD versions?

Not sure what I want to do as far as The Hobbit goes. I bought the regular 3D version when that came out, so I'm not sure if I should sell that and buy the Extended or just try to wait it out a few years and get the full Extended Set.

Wouldn't it be more economical to buy them as they come out?

The Fellowship of the Ring extended is around 3 hours and 28 minutes

The Two Towers is around 3 hours and 42 minutes

The Return of the King around 4 hours and 10 minutes. I find them all very watchable.

The Hobbit extended is about 3 hours, 20 minutes longer than the theatrical. I haven't seen it yet but some scenes that were cut that would have been helpful is where Bilbo was when they were in Rivendel. In the theatrical he disappeared.

If you actually wait for the Extended Editions, in theory. But then the full set will probably come out and have a ton of extras and eventually be available at a great price. I think I got the full LOTR EE set for either 39.99 or 49.99, can't remember. Great set, though.

• Like 1

If you've got a 55" or bigger TV, I say it's worth it. That's just me though. Some stuff looks awesome.

I want to get a projection screen for our basement though and a 3D projector, but I love the 3D on my TV.

The Return of the King around 4 hours and 10 minutes. I find them all very watchable.

The Hobbit extended is about 3 hours, 20 minutes longer than the theatrical. I haven't seen it yet but some scenes that were cut that would have been helpful is where Bilbo was when they were in Rivendel. In the theatrical he disappeared.

Are you sure the blu-ray versions have less scenes, P5?

Fellowship: 228 minutes

Two Tours: 223 minutes

Return of the King: 251 minutes

If you've got a 55" or bigger TV, I say it's worth it. That's just me though. Some stuff looks awesome.

I want to get a projection screen for our basement though and a 3D projector, but I love the 3D on my TV.

The Two Towers is definitley longer than The Fellowship. I think the reason the blu rays is longer is additional credits, no new scenes added.

I didn't say they're shorter, I just said they're not longer. The DVD and BD cuts are identical.

Picked up the non-BB version of The Hobbit extended and the Rolling Stones - Sweet Summer Sun today. The latter is $15 at Best Buy :popcorn:

Dammit, forgot about that when I was there tonight. I'll be there tomorrow though, so will probably get it then. How is it, P5?

Havent watched it yet. Honestly, I'm not even that excited about it between songs being cut and it being one of the worst shows of the tour from what I've heard.