the new "war"?

stumbleine

It's common knowledge that all five bandmembers were involved in the songwriting process back in the day, it was a true team effort.

I'm often criticized for seeming condescending, so I will try to be as polite as possible.

I'm afraid you are mistaken about all five band members being involved in songwriting back in the day. That simply is not true. Steven was not involved in songwriting.

Now, with that said, while Axl & Izzy were the primary songwriters, Slash and Duff still made VERY important contributions in terms of songwriting, not to mention the fact that Slash's incredible lead playing played a huge role in the success of the band.

I agree that most songs are more than just lyrics, but in addition to Axl and Izzy writing most of the lyrics, they also wrote most of the music (Izzy more so than Axl in this regard).

Before I get flamed, let me be very clear. I said MOST, not ALL.

It was a true team effort between Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff. I'm not disputing that at all. I'm simply pointing out that Axl and Izzy were the team leaders and primary writers. That's not to say they would have been successful without Slash or Duff (who not only made key songwriting contributions, but also contributed great instrumentation).

I hope you will not take it personally that I've chosen to correct the misconception that you posted. You seem like a fine gentleman.

Dude, Axl Rose was mainly a lyric/melody writer for old Guns n' Roses, that's his principal contribution, on the other hand, Izzy and Slash was the music writer. Just read the credits in Illusions booklet, Izzy and Slash ALLWAYS appear FIRST in the credit line, why they appers first, because they were the main writter of the song. Besides the Slash's guitar was FUNDAMENTAL to the sound of Guns n' Roses, his Riffs and solos were a trademark for the band so it's very unfair not consider Slash as important as Izzy and Axl for Guns n' Roses.

That happened in Guns n' Roses, but if we go beyond Guns, it's quite obvious that Slash's carrer has been more consistant and solid as artist than Axl and Izzy Stradlin; anyway, on guns, three of them were the most essencial for the band.

Edited by sergiodefenders

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's common knowledge that all five bandmembers were involved in the songwriting process back in the day, it was a true team effort.

I'm often criticized for seeming condescending, so I will try to be as polite as possible.

I'm afraid you are mistaken about all five band members being involved in songwriting back in the day. That simply is not true. Steven was not involved in songwriting.

Now, with that said, while Axl & Izzy were the primary songwriters, Slash and Duff still made VERY important contributions in terms of songwriting, not to mention the fact that Slash's incredible lead playing played a huge role in the success of the band.

I agree that most songs are more than just lyrics, but in addition to Axl and Izzy writing most of the lyrics, they also wrote most of the music (Izzy more so than Axl in this regard).

Before I get flamed, let me be very clear. I said MOST, not ALL.

It was a true team effort between Axl, Izzy, Slash and Duff. I'm not disputing that at all. I'm simply pointing out that Axl and Izzy were the team leaders and primary writers. That's not to say they would have been successful without Slash or Duff (who not only made key songwriting contributions, but also contributed great instrumentation).

I hope you will not take it personally that I've chosen to correct the misconception that you posted. You seem like a fine gentleman.

Dude, Axl Rose was mainly a lyric/melody writer for old Guns n' Roses, that's his principal contribution, on the other hand, Izzy and Slash was the music writer. Just read the credits in Illusions booklet, Izzy and Slash ALLWAYS appear FIRST in the credit line, why they appers first, because they were the main writter of the song. Besides the Slash's guitar was FUNDAMENTAL to the sound of Guns n' Roses, his Riffs and solos were a trademark for the band so it's very unfair not consider Slash as important as Izzy and Axl for Guns n' Roses.

That happened in Guns n' Roses, but if we go beyond Guns, it's quite obvious that Slash is more consistent as artist than Axl and Izzy Stradlin; anyway, on guns, three of them was the most essencial for the band.

depends on what you mean consistent. if you mean quantitiy i would agree if you mean quality then the answer to that is fuck no

What War?

IMHO, The HoF band was a last minute one night tribute to the fans nothing more and Izzy playing with Axl is a once in the while thing when Izzy is in the mood. Anyone who is a fan of Guns and knows the history can't serously believe the HoF band will ever do anything together again or that Izzy will ever join NuGuns and write music with Axl.................

but if we go beyond Guns, it's quite obvious that Slash's carrer has been more consistant and solid as artist than Axl and Izzy Stradlin

If you by "consistent" mean a one trick pony that is unable to evolve as an artist and doomed to just try to recreate past accomplishments with ever decreasing success, then yes, Slash is the most consistent of the three.

Imagine how boring this place would be if Axl and Slash ever made up...........you all would have nothing to fight about and we would be left with threads about Axl's mustache, when will Axl release his next album and the names of the ChiDem leftovers............

"The only thing that would make it [a reunion] would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it"

That's quite obviously in regards to what the public would want and consider to be a "reunion".

but if we go beyond Guns, it's quite obvious that Slash's carrer has been more consistant and solid as artist than Axl and Izzy Stradlin

If you by "consistent" mean a one trick pony that is unable to evolve as an artist and doomed to just try to recreate past accomplishments with ever decreasing success, then yes, Slash is the most consistent of the three.

You can't be serious, and you must be frustrated that Axl can't make good music without Izzy and Slash.

What has Axl accomplished before Slash joined "his" band? The answer is nothing. What has he accomplished after Slash quit "his" band? Same anwser.

why does everything have to be a fucking war? or this side vs that side or axl vs slash. axl is still in gnr the rest are not and have nothing to do with current guns n roses. it was awesome seeing duff and izzy on stage with gnr again but they are not in the band . the HOF lineup of velvet revolver with myles kennedy singing is not gnr as well. so this thread is kind of retarded (no offense to retarded people)

Great post.

To the majority of posters, it isn't a war.

There are just 5-6 Axl worshippers and 5-6 posters who still are mad at Axl for breaking up the old band........and those 10-12 posters chime in on every topic. And both sides try and dictate to others what they can and can't post about.

The remaining regular posters aren't at war, and they are intelligent enough to look at the entire GnR situation with an unbiased eye. There is just a vocal minority on both sides that seem obsessed wtih the axl-vs-slash and current-vs-classic band "war."

You can't be serious, and you must be frustrated that Axl can't make good music without Izzy and Slash.

What has Axl accomplished before Slash joined "his" band? The answer is nothing. What has he accomplished after Slash quit "his" band? Same anwser.

Same could be said about Splash

"Splash"... that's funny...

And once again, if A) it Axl didnt continue GNR with the Chi Dem-era, and he just fell off the face of the planet, then B there would be no "war" to mend between Axl and Slash and the other members. Then C) There would be no real angle for the HOF. The hopes of the HOF were to corner them all into a reunion, even for one night, because that satisfy everyones hopes for a happy, massively profitable ending. You have to have a threat of a sad ending for there to be a possible happy ending.

To be clear, if Axl didnt continue with Chi Dem, and Buckethead, Tommy, Brain and the others did not continue this band, GNR probably would not have been inducted into the HOF this time around at least. Rock n Roll is in sad shape and so they are banking on something to deliver them out of this mess. To construct a poor analogy: In the 90s, I am sure there were lots of 70s disco bands who were HUGE in their day not even being considered for the Hof because rock wasnt in such a desperate situation and revolved around discos antithesis, punk.

It's all about the times. It's not just how great the music was. Hell, GNR was bigger in '91/'92 than they were in '88/'89, and yet almost without exception people Today, prisoners of the moment they are, say AFD is the greatest and UYI not so much.

Edited by Eu4ic

You can't be serious

Why can't I be serious?

and you must be frustrated that Axl can't make good music without Izzy and Slash.

He wrote 'There Was A Time' and 'Better' without those guys, so no, you are wrong again. I am not frustrated at all. Although I would have liked to see what he could have written with Izzy and I am very happy he is not writing with Slash any more. And I am not frustrated at all.

What has Axl accomplished before Slash joined "his" band? The answer is nothing.

Yes, the original lineup didn't manage to do much in the few months that went on before Slash joined the band. We agree on this, but it is still completely irrelevant to my point about Slash being a one trick pony that is doomed to desperately try to write music that comes close to what he did in his prime while failing miserably. If you still don't get it: I fully acknowledge and appreciate Slash' contributions while in GN'R.

What has he accomplished after Slash quit "his" band? Same anwser.

Are you seriously saying that Axl has achieved as little after Slash quit as he did in GN'R before Slash joined? And you are asking me if I am serious?

I'm not really even a Slash fan, I couldn't stand Velvet Revolver...... but I can admit that your statement is ridiculous.

In terms of music - Slash has been featured on six albums in the same time that Axl has put out one album.

Slash has had a number one album, a number three album, released an album that sold 4 million copies, won a Grammy, had a couple number one "rock" hits.

Axl is concentrating on keeping his "integrity" intact and touring. And touring. And touring.

Slash just routinely puts out music that his fans enjoy.

I've been an Axl Rose die-hard fan for longer than you have been alive.

But to say that he has accomplished more in the past 15 years than Slash has is just ignorant on your part.

Edited by Groghan

I'm not really even a Slash fan, I couldn't stand Velvet Revolver...... but I can admit that your statement is ridiculous.

In terms of music - Slash has been featured on six albums in the same time that Axl has put out one album.

Slash has had a number one album, a number three album, released an album that sold 4 million copies, won a Grammy, had a couple number one "rock" hits.

Axl is concentrating on keeping his "integrity" intact and touring. And touring. And touring.

But to say that he has accomplished more in the past 15 years than Slash has is just ignorant on your part.

Nobody gives a shit how many accolades Slash has. By that logic, Lady Gangbang is more accomplished than Slash and WAY better than Axl. Furthermore, Van Gogh wasnt an accomplished artist because he didnt sell but maybe one painting during his lifetime.

Edited by Eu4ic

Nobody gives a shit how many accolades Slash has. By that logic, Lady Gangbang is more accomplished than Slash and WAY better than Axl. Furthermore, Van Gogh wasnt an accomplished artist because he didnt sell but maybe one painting during his lifetime.

+1

Groghan has lost his mind...shame he used to me one of my favorite members around here.

+1

Groghan has lost his mind...shame he used to me one of my favorite members around here.

He's just on a negative wave like everyone else, must be disappointed about having the same thing over and over. Happens...

I prefer the overall sound of the HOF lineup. It just sounds more like Appetite to me. But unfortunately the HOF lineup was likely a one night ordeal. I have been listening to SCOM and PC from HOF in my car full blast is absolutely rocks.

+1

He's just on a negative wave like everyone else, must be disappointed about having the same thing over and over. Happens...

Groghan if you need some loving I can hire you some models

I prefer the overall sound of the HOF lineup. It just sounds more like Appetite to me. But unfortunately the HOF lineup was likely a one night ordeal. I have been listening to SCOM and PC from HOF in my car full blast is absolutely rocks.

I see you managed to mute Myles voice? Cool story bro.

For my part I was talking only about the music.

It's 5 o'clock, Ain't life grand, Contraband, Slash, Apocalyptic Love, Made in Stoke: all solid rock albums.

(I'm not including Libertad cause it's a little weak)

Chinese D.: filled with songs that make me want to kill myself.

That's the way it is for me.. it's ok if you like CD though.

hey all,a couple of threads lately got me thinking,are we turning Izzy's positive cameo with Axl in London into

something negative?who is more GNR,the HOF band or the Indiana duo?

let's not be stupid and "take sides"again on this issue.

HOFband was inducted as "Guns N Roses",it can be argued that Axl and Izzy are just as much Guns,

but who cares?

let's all co exist.

After seeing how this thread has gone, so much for "co existing" lol

So you like 2 songs from Axl, that's cool. I like most of what Slash has done since his departure, except a few songs (like she mine..urgh..).

No, I like a lot of songs Axl has written, I was just listing the two obvious songs to counter your argument.

Cool you can get some enjoyment out of Slash' recent music :thumbsup:

+1

How have I lost my mind?

Tell me one thing about my post that isn't true.

Slash has been 10 times more productive than Axl, in terms of being a musician. Fact.

Slash has released more music for his fans to enjoy than Axl. Fact.

Slash's body of work since GnR includes number one albums, songs. Fact.

Slash has been a member of a band that won a rock grammy. Fact.

Those are facts. It has nothing to do with whose music YOU LIKE better. I can't stand Coldplay, but millions of people do. And their success speaks for itself. I hate their music, but I can admit that they are a successful band. Why is that so hard for you to do?

I even mentioned that I'm not a big Slash fan, and that I didn't like either VR album at all. Listen to both of them maybe 10 total times, and haven't listen to either one in over a year.

I listen to songs off CD 5-6 days a WEEK.

I would take one new GnR album over 10 Slash solo albums. But that is just a PERSONAL preference. I'm sure Slash fans would be in heaven if they get 10 more albums from Slash. It is all personal taste.

Axl Rose is still my favorite singer of all time.

Appetite, Lies, Illusions, CD are all firmly established in my top 20 albums of all time list.

But because I don't blindly worship every move a rock singer makes.......that makes me a hater?

I can admit that another musician is having a great career - even if I don't like their music. But you are so tied into Axl worship that you can't admit things that are just logical to the rest of the world..........and I'm the one losing my mind?

I mean no disrespect by this. But I don't want to be one of your favorite posters. I would rather be appreciated by free thinking and open minded posters, who are able to look at all sides of an issue. I don't want to be associated with posters who worship a rock singer and every move he does. People who idolize singers, actors, celebrities are a little scary.