Why the focus on AFD?

Vincent Vega

I've noticed that among the old school fans, but especially in the press, there's a sort of focus on AFD and the AFD era--Almost to the exclusion of Lies, the UYIs and TSI...I know most old fans like those albums but they seem to be generally overlooked in favor of AFD. It almost feels at times like old GNR only released one album with the ratio of talk that AFD gets in comparison to the other albums...And with the media it seems like Lies and the UYIs and TSI are totally just ignored or forgotten about today, even though Lies was a hit and the UYIs were massive hits in their own regard. So, why is there such a focus on AFD?

(UYI 1 + UYI 2) >AFD

AFD > UYI 1

AFD > UYI 2

AFD will always, no matter what, be the album GnR is remembered for. It's up there with major landmark rock albums like Back in Black, Led Zeppelin 4, Never Mind The Bollocks, Nevermind and Paranoid.

(UYI 1 + UYI 2) >AFD

AFD > UYI 1

AFD > UYI 2

AFD will always, no matter what, be the album GnR is remembered for. It's up there with major landmark rock albums like Back in Black, Led Zeppelin 4, Never Mind The Bollocks, Nevermind and Paranoid.

There's a difference though. The media doesn't pretend that those albums are those artists' only albums, like they seem to do with GN'R and AFD. It's one thing to have it be their MOST remembered release, but the media and some fans treat it like it's the only thing they ever did, or the only major thing they ever did. It's not like Lies or the UYIs were flops commercially or otherwise. Lies sold 6 million at least in the US and the UYI albums sold around 18 million worldwide with I believe 7 million each in the US alone. And while IV is a landmark album, Zep's other albums are highly recognized, same with Nirvana's other records and Black Sabbath's. It's not Nevermind is treated like it was the only thing Nirvana ever did.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Appetite has this energy and vibe that is just on another level. Great written songs, all performed wonderfully with great performances by everyone.

The Illusoins, while great albums and a bit more musically adventurous (which I love), feel a little disjointed to me - I enjoy AFD way more in terms of full album listening. It has the "ebb and flow" the truly great records have.

Edited by WhazUp

• 2 months later...

Appetite has this energy and vibe that is just on another level. Great written songs, all performed wonderfully with great performances by everyone.

The Illusoins, while great albums and a bit more musically adventurous (which I love), feel a little disjointed to me - I enjoy AFD way more in terms of full album listening. It has the "ebb and flow" the truly great records have.

The energy and vibe you're referring to is a band of bums from the street who were desperate to succeed and very much on the edge of dying or flaming out as musicians. A lot of the best songs on the Illusions seem to be songs that were written before AFD was recorded.

The energy and vibe you're referring to is a band of bums from the street who were desperate to succeed and very much on the edge of dying or flaming out as musicians. A lot of the best songs on the Illusions seem to be songs that were written before AFD was recorded.

Yeah, I assume that the reason behind why that period brought out great songs that were on Appetite and the Illusions is because it was such a new and exiting time for all of them that the creativity and productivity was much higher before the money and fame came along. Not that they didn't do anything great afterwords, but once you have enough money where you don't have to rely on each other the chemistry inevitably changes.

That is why I love Appetite, it really is an honest record. It encapsulates 5 guys who came from nothing but out of that came something fucking awesome :thumbsup:

Edited by WhazUp

• 2 weeks later...

AFD was revolutionary similar to Nevermind when Niravana took off. People remember those albums that really defined a breakthrough for music. I think AFD has such iconic songs and the who album is amazing. I liked Illusions too and think they are amazing. I think one of the huge differneces was Steven. Having Steven do the drums on Illusions would have made it more like AFD sounding in my mind. Illusions sounds different because of the drumming and keyboards. I think AFD is more of a party album since it is more of a rocker and has less ballads. I think most GNR fans remember Illusions and AFD. Lies has a few hit songs that people remember.

Lies was not a full studio album some of it was live and it was more of a cash out album that they did while waiting for Illusions to come out. I think TSI was a cash out album too something they could put together quickly since it was all covers. It was mean to tie us over tell the next album and also make them some money. That is the reason both those albums are not remembered as much. They did not put a full effort in those versus the albums where they write all the material and put a lot of effort into them like Illusions.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that among the old school fans, but especially in the press, there's a sort of focus on AFD and the AFD era--Almost to the exclusion of Lies, the UYIs and TSI...I know most old fans like those albums but they seem to be generally overlooked in favor of AFD. It almost feels at times like old GNR only released one album with the ratio of talk that AFD gets in comparison to the other albums...And with the media it seems like Lies and the UYIs and TSI are totally just ignored or forgotten about today, even though Lies was a hit and the UYIs were massive hits in their own regard. So, why is there such a focus on AFD?

Becouse its their first big succes and their first album overall... thats why it doesn't mean that they don't have better albums (My personal favorite is Chinese Democracy followed closely by Use Your Illusion II) but the first big one is always the most remembered but then again everyone is entitled to their opinions

People connected to AFD more.