What's the truly biggest obstacle to a reunion?

Madridista

Probably the fact that Axl basically wants Slash wiped off the earth and wishes he never met him. It's probably Axl's biggest regret-ever meeting Slash.

As Rose clearly stated in his message board rants and Billboard's interview earlier this month, he really has no intention of ever reuniting with Slash. "There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose tells James, adding later that, "Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies. In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoidedâ€"and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-calls-slash-a-cancer-in-new-chinese-democracy-interview-20090227#ixzz1yXcCXZ2L

Do ya think Axl would ever do something like this IF Slash were dying? The obvious answer is a resounding hell no! Unfortunately.

Robbie Robertson put aside a 35-year feud with Levon Helm

The Band star Robbie Robertson put aside a 35-year feud with estranged bandmate Levon Helm on Sunday and visited him in the hospital as the drummer battles the final stages of cancer.

Helm’s wife Sandy and daughter Amy posted a message on his website on Tuesday asking fans to send “prayers and love” to the stricken rocker.

And a day after Jane Fonda, who worked with Helm on 1984 TV movie The Dollmaker, offered up her tribute to the ailing rocker, Robertson has followed up comments he made about the drummer at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday with a statement detailing his final meeting with his “old bandmate”.

Robertson and Helm famously fell out after The Band split in the late 1970s and the rockers have had a fractured relationship ever since, but the singer/songwriter has revealed the health crisis has brought the pair back together, stating, “Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old bandmate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

“On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.”

Robertson adds, “Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.”

You know, Steve Harris was adamant at some point that Bruce would never return to Iron Maiden. Hell, Bruce even stopped making metal albums for a while and he bashed Maiden and Steve whenever he could. People thought a reunion was impossible because of all the bad blood between them.

Until they found themselves in the same room. According to the official Iron Maiden biography, all the hate was gone the minute they saw each other. They hugged and talked like old friends as if nothing had happened. Fast forward a few years, Iron Maiden has made 4 albums since the reunion.

My point is... what would happen if they all met in the same room? Would the feud disappear as if it'd never been there? Maybe that's all it'll take. For them to be in the same room and for them to talk.

:shrugs:

You know, Steve Harris was adamant at some point that Bruce would never return to Iron Maiden. Hell, Bruce even stopped making metal albums for a while and he bashed Maiden and Steve whenever he could. People thought a reunion was impossible because of all the bad blood between them.

Until they found themselves in the same room. According to the official Iron Maiden biography, all the hate was gone the minute they saw each other. They hugged and talked like old friends as if nothing had happened. Fast forward a few years, Iron Maiden has made 4 albums since the reunion.

My point is... what would happen if they all met in the same room? Would the feud disappear as if it'd never been there? Maybe that's all it'll take. For them to be in the same room and for them to talk.

:shrugs:

Interesting point, it would have to be a smallish room on maybe a boat or somewhere they couldn't walk out. Pity someone couldn't do one of those Candid Camera setups where they think they are going to something & they find themselves in the same room & simply cannot leave.

What do you think would happen? A fight, non speaking or perhaps mending old fences?

Axl and Slash are the main problem. Axl, in his mind, did no wrong and the story was "everyone against me and Slash trying to take over Guns". Slash, in his mind, did no wrong and the story was "Axl was crazy since the beginning and it got worse after 1989". The fact that both of them totally ignore that they also contributed to the break-up is the main reason that we will never have a reunion, not that I care though.

When Axl said that Slash wanted to take over Guns, I believe him. When Axl said that Slash was trying to convince others that Axl should be fired, I believe him but also I believe Slash when he tells stories about Axl being a control freak and a really hard person to work with. So, in the end, the most dangerous band in the world, the best line-up of Guns N' Roses, lasted more than most people think should have. It's sad but you can't force people that DO NOT want to work together to reunite.

Edited by pi2loc

Axl would never agree to speak to Slash. So Slash can't "apologize" or kiss ass. And the train left- Axl is 50+. Any reunion would be dumbed down/cheesy/$$$$ now. Which sucks. Plus Axl wants Slash to die soon. He hates him and will to his death bed. Sad but true.

I think Axl takes more of a "he's dead to me" attitude about it. Doubt he wishes death on him, but the more time goes on, the more the AFD lineup is put in the past, the more likely they'll be able to talk to each other again. Right now, he has no reason to talk to him. In a year, that could change. In 10 or 20 years, that could change, too.

Or not.

I'm sure Axl's going to be asked about Slash getting a star, and he's just going to say Charlie Sheen paid 40K to sponsor Slash instead of 40K to the "goddesses" and allude to Slash being a fame whore. But I think Axl and Slash are done with the mud slinging in interviews.

Interesting point, it would have to be a smallish room on maybe a boat or somewhere they couldn't walk out. Pity someone couldn't do one of those Candid Camera setups where they think they are going to something & they find themselves in the same room & simply cannot leave.

What do you think would happen? A fight, non speaking or perhaps mending old fences?

I picture Axl sitting with his arms folded pouting like a 3 yr old.And Slash just sitting there,afraid to open his mouth,cause if he does,that 3 yrs old would get up and punch his lights out.I love both these guys,they need to seriously get over themselves already! :( :(

The reunion will never happen for a very simple reason. None of the problems or issues that destroyed GnR have been solved. They're still there. At least from Slash's point of view. You know, Axl wanting to have all the creative control in the band, wanting his bandmates to be mere hired hands and going on stage too fucking late. That is still what happens in GnR today. So a reunion would not last 24 hours.

It's like you break up with someone you love cause u cant stand her. Years go by and you get back together cause you miss each other like crazy. Result? You break up again cause none of your issues were solved. they were there waiting for u to go back.

For a reunion to work, they'd need to talk things through. Axl would need to show up on time and rehearse, consider the rest of the band as bandmembers and not hired hands who do as he pleases, there would need to be no drama for Izzy to come back, for instance and Duff and Slash would need to stay sober for the rest of their lives.

I dont know if that would ever happen.

So a reunion is impossible. Besides, Axl is too happy with this current GnR lineup, cause nobody questions him, theyre there to do what he wants. and if you question him or want him to put out more music, youre out of the band.

Period. IMO.

And the rest of the guys are doing whatever they want to be doing. No drama, no fights, no nothing. Who would wanna give that up? And money cant be the reason they get back together. They all have money and fame.

The reunion will never happen for a very simple reason. None of the problems or issues that destroyed GnR have been solved. They're still there. At least from Slash's point of view. You know, Axl wanting to have all the creative control in the band, wanting his bandmates to be mere hired hands and going on stage too fucking late. That is still what happens in GnR today. So a reunion would not last 24 hours.

It's like you break up with someone you love cause u cant stand her. Years go by and you get back together cause you miss each other like crazy. Result? You break up again cause none of your issues were solved. they were there waiting for u to go back.

For a reunion to work, they'd need to talk things through. Axl would need to show up on time and rehearse, consider the rest of the band as bandmembers and not hired hands who do as he pleases, there would need to be no drama for Izzy to come back, for instance and Duff and Slash would need to stay sober for the rest of their lives.

So a reunion is impossible. Besides, Axl is too happy with this current GnR lineup, cause nobody questions him, theyre there to do what he wants. and if you question him or want him to put out more music, youre out of the band.

Period. IMO.

And the rest of the guys are doing whatever they want to be doing. No drama, no fights, no nothing. Who would wanna give that up? And money cant be the reason they get back together. They all have money and fame.

That's bullshit. When was the last time Axl fired anybody? Matt Sorum. Apparently, Tommy and Axl have had fights, and BBF bitches about the band and new music all the time to the press.

Yeah, Axl is a saint. Everyone is wrong, but him. Gotcha.

Slash's latest album is half-baked, and Axl is going nowhere with his cover band.

It IS fucking time for Steve/Duff/Matt/Geffen/Marc Canter or even FANS to ambush Axl and Slash with some sedative syringes, and lock them in a studio until they talk and write some new material. Damn!

Period. IMO.

Slash, Duff and Axl should talk at some point, reunion or not. Not even make it about band business but just something informal where they can get together for a dinner one night and forget the bullshit.

I think the AFD lineup dynamic is something Axl associates with a part of his life he doesn't want to revisit. Maybe he thinks there's some evil aura or entity if that dynamic came together. But when I read something Stewart Copeland said about The Police reunion, he said when they plugged in and played, the tension was still there, as if it never left, and they started behaving as if they never broke up. They had to keep themselves in check in the present.

I don't know if the band members would be able to handle each other. I think it would be somewhat friendly but tense if it was over a dinner. But getting in a room and playing? It would sound great, but I think it would fall apart pretty fast. They'd have to put a lot aside in order to do it, and for what, a handful of songs? Maybe a one-off at the Troubadour for a handful of friends.

Truthfully, the time for the reunion was at the HOF. The world was watching and hoping Axl would get It together and take the stage with the original lineup for a few songs, and as we all know, that didn't happen. IMO that was really the last chance that we had of ever seeing the greatest rock n roll band of all time on the same stage together again.