GN"R to play India in Dec?

Ketan

According to Delhi Times,

GUNS N ROSES,the American hard rock band,is going to perform in Delhi in December.They will be in India for a three-city tour.According to the manager of the band,Rob Macsween,The band will arrive on December 4,and will first perform in Bangalore on December 7,followed by two shows on December 9 and 12 in Mumbai and Delhi respectively.

imagine my disappointment when i did not find any mention of it on the official website or on mygnrforum. :confused: :confused:

of course something similar had happened before in 2009 when apparently they were scheduled to play but it turned out to be a rumor

i dont know what to expect. Fortus had replied to an email saying that Axl was planing something for India after the end of summer... so i am hopeful but this doesn’t look reliable.

also is Rob Macsween still their tour-manager?

oh well.

Edited by Ketan

There's no point in getting hopes up without official confirmation from the band.

All the same, A 3 city tour would be mind-blowing. The crowds in Delhi tend to riot though - they did at the last Metallica show when there was a delay and the band cancelled.

But, shows. at Bangalore or Mumbai would be fantastic. Metallica sold 40000 tickets in Bangalore but a total of 55000 people snuck into the venue tongue2.gif. I'm guessing that with some good publicity beforehand, Guns could easily match that number.

There's no point in getting hopes up without official confirmation from the band.

All the same, A 3 city tour would be mind-blowing. The crowds in Delhi tend to riot though - they did at the last Metallica show when there was a delay and the band cancelled.

But, shows. at Bangalore or Mumbai would be fantastic. Metallica sold 40000 tickets in Bangalore but a total of 55000 people snuck into the venue tongue2.gif. I'm guessing that with some good publicity beforehand, Guns could easily match that number.

yeah well i remember the delhi fiasco, i was there. one look at the venue and i knew it wasnt gonna happen. thats wht i told my friends... DNA had arranged for metallica to play in a shadi ground. Bangalore concerts are always very well organized. too bad i had bought tickets for the delhi show.

anyway if anything gets confirmed i will book the bangalore show and not delhi where i actually live.

and yes... i do think guns would sell better than maiden or metallica

Edited by Ketan

Guest Len B'stard

i feel sorry for India, culturally speaking.

What do you mean exactly? Like deprivation ?

Well i mean like, they have such a wonderful and rich culture, aincent, y'know, a really old culture, with so much to offer, so much indigenous art, music, all sorts. It literally is one of the most culturally rich places in the world and yet, they seemed obssessed with making themselves or their culture into a third rate photocopy of western/American culture, it's REALLY sad to see and it permeates their cinema, their popular music, everything.

I mean just the range of wonderful instruments that are like, indigenous or ultilised by that country, the sitar, the tabla, the harmonium, their own musical theory, totally different to the western one, a really complex one and they just behave as if they're slightly embarassed by it, it's such a shame. Jesus, just the poets and the natural poetry of that language and the sort of verse it is capable of producing, deep, intricate, and like...y'know, they might sum up in one perfect rhyming couplet what would take like, an entire verse of english verse to convey...and still not quite make it.

Even their music and their singing, i mean singers like Muhammad Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar and all of them. And you just end up with these really puerile takes on Americanisms. You'd think such a rich and aincent culture would have more of a sense of self worth than that.

That would be interesting. Large bands generally avoid India because of it's corrupt tendencies in extorting more money from bands. I remember Brian Adams was suppose to play Delhi a year or two ago and backed out because organizers were shaking him down for more money (something to do with not giving the venue a passing grade on fire regulations until everyone got their beaks wet). Hope Axl knows what he's getting himself into.

Cheers,

Andrew

Well i mean like, they have such a wonderful and rich culture, aincent, y'know, a really old culture, with so much to offer, so much indigenous art, music, all sorts. It literally is one of the most culturally rich places in the world and yet, they seemed obssessed with making themselves or their culture into a third rate photocopy of western/American culture, it's REALLY sad to see and it permeates their cinema, their popular music, everything.

I mean just the range of wonderful instruments that are like, indigenous or ultilised by that country, the sitar, the tabla, the harmonium, their own musical theory, totally different to the western one, a really complex one and they just behave as if they're slightly embarassed by it, it's such a shame. Jesus, just the poets and the natural poetry of that language and the sort of verse it is capable of producing, deep, intricate, and like...y'know, they might sum up in one perfect rhyming couplet what would take like, an entire verse of english verse to convey...and still not quite make it.

Even their music and their singing, i mean singers like Muhammad Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar and all of them. And you just end up with these really puerile takes on Americanisms. You'd think such a rich and aincent culture would have more of a sense of self worth than that.

All that you mentioned is very true and important part of culture. But India's people are starving and most are extremely poor... India is not compromising their cultural beliefs they are trying to modernize their country and create jobs for their people. This is a necessity for the country to maintain its self. I've done a lot of business with India over the years and they have a long way to go, but they are very proud of their culture (at least all the people i have had dealings with)

That would be interesting. Large bands generally avoid India because of it's corrupt tendencies in extorting more money from bands. I remember Brian Adams was suppose to play Delhi a year or two ago and backed out because organizers were shaking him down for more money (something to do with not giving the venue a passing grade on fire regulations until everyone got their beaks wet). Hope Axl knows what he's getting himself into.

Cheers,

Andrew

This is very true in that part of the world. Gov't regulations are in place not to protect the people but to allow the Gov't officials to have their palms greased. I will say in India it has gotten better over the last couple of years because they want to continue to grow as a country. For example India's shrimp export will be the highest its ever been this year. They still have a ways to go, but they are starting to right the ship.

hitmanhart408 & dizzyreedsexmachine-

many songs have already been recorded for the next chinese democracy record. there's no need 2 record after this tour. the songs are ready to go for a 2012 release

How do you know those are the songs they will be releasing? How do you know they won't record new songs? You don't. You're hoping, but you don't know. I'm just giving you a possible scenario of what could happen over the next few months and year.

do u realize it is apparent that you r trying too hard to come across as someone with profound knowledge and insights while subtly insulting a billion people whom you consider to be in a rat race to sell out their cultural values for westernization?

india has such remarkable ability to adapt and include other cultures that it doesn't feel puerile to appreciate rock music. it is rather naive to think that if someone listens to Guns N' Roses they have forfeited all things indian and are trying hard to be americanized.

for all the knowledge u seem to posses about india it is rather disappointing that you failed to notice that India is one those cultures which doesnt discriminate any art form on the basis of its origin.

India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!

~~~ Mark Twain (American writer)

how absurd it is then to suggest that someone going to a rock concert is obsessed with making India a third-rate copy of American culture. india is over 5000 years old. we have survived the test of time. we have adapted many foreign thoughts and believes over the centuries and made them our own. perhaps this is why i dont feel like a treacherous sellout as you would have me feel when i play the rock songs i have written with my rock band.

but then again it would take an indian to appreciate the good of both worlds.

Guest Len B'stard
do u realize it is apparent that you r trying too hard to come across as someone with profound knowledge and insights while subtly insulting a billion people whom you consider to be in a rat race to sell out their cultural values for westernization?

You feel that knowledge of Lata and Rafi is an attempt at conveying profound knowledge? Not really, pretty general stuff fella and I wasn't insulting anyone, if i wanted to insult someone i do not shy away from doing so.

india has such remarkable ability to adapt and include other cultures that it doesn't feel puerile to appreciate rock music. it is rather naive to think that if someone listens to Guns N' Roses they have forfeited all things indian and are trying hard to be americanized.

And where was it that you percieved that i was saying listening to Guns n Roses suggests they have forfeited all things indian? In fact, my post didn't even mention Guns n Roses, the idea of the post was sparked by Guns n Roses coming over there but if you read the post it is referring to the current culture existing in India today and referred more precisely to cinema and Indian artists.

for all the knowledge u seem to posses about india it is rather disappointing that you failed to notice that India is one those cultures which doesnt discriminate any art form on the basis of its origin.

Right but there's a difference between discrimination and what amounts to ethnic forgery.

how absurd it is then to suggest that someone going to a rock concert is obsessed with making India a third-rate copy of American culture. india is over 5000 years old. we have survived the test of time. we have adapted many foreign thoughts and believes over the centuries and made them our own. perhaps this is why i dont feel like a treacherous sellout as you would have me feel when i play the rock songs i have written with my rock band.

I agree with this actually, from "india is over 5,000 years old" onwards. Definitely. Nobody mentioned treachery...or selling out all these highly emotive phrases you employ, i simply said that as a culture the modern incarnation of India seems to be intent on westernising itself which to me is like, i dunno, i expect i'd feel kinda short-changed by that.

The fact is that it does not have to be this way. The British ruled India for fuckin ages, that generation didn't throw it's identity away and even in the 60s/70s/80s there were elements on western culture assimilated but the basic Indianness was preserved, this does not appear to be the case nowadays.

Watch any new Indian film, new Indian song and tell me it doesn't come across as cheap. Explain to me why in every new Bollywood film they might as well be in English cuz all the actors keep saying what they're saying in English half the time. I mean, why do that, Indians flock to see Bollywood films in droves, if all of these people understood English then they'd be watching those movies, this is their thing and should be a reflection of that.

Seriously, you wanna talk to me about Indians and wholesale copy and forgery of western culture, watch Ram Jaane and then watch Angels With Dirty Faces and tell me that it ain't indentical? At least in Ram Jaane the setting is still vaguely recognisable as India, these days it's even worse. And this ain't just one film this is most of that industry, i could literally go on all night picking out movies and songs that are just straight rip offs.

I'm not trying to insult you or insult your culture, fuck, your culture IS my culture, i'm from Azad Kashmir, or my family is, the older uncles of my family were born in India, i'm brown-skinned, this isn't some kind of race assault, this is me looking at a culture that i feel to be partly mine and feeling sadness for the state it is in.

This is not the way you get respect, by copying and by mimicry and by forgery, this does not make people look at Indians and erase all the embarassing memorys of little men in loincloths and red dots on their heads, fuck that shit and bring those men back.

Each culture should bring something of itself to the table, that is how you get respect, not by mimicry. As for the Mark Twain quote, thats pretty much my whole point to begin with here.

People don't stand up and tell you things like this unless they consider you apne, others will just laugh at you or be afraid of offending you.

Edited by sugaraylen

hitmanhart408 & dizzyreedsexmachine-

many songs have already been recorded for the next chinese democracy record. there's no need 2 record after this tour. the songs are ready to go for a 2012 release

How do you know those are the songs they will be releasing? How do you know they won't record new songs? You don't. You're hoping, but you don't know. I'm just giving you a possible scenario of what could happen over the next few months and year.

because these are the songs recorded for the next chinese democracy release

You feel that knowledge of Lata and Rafi is an attempt at conveying profound knowledge? Not really, pretty general stuff fella and I wasn't insulting anyone, if i wanted to insult someone i do not shy away from doing so.

And where was it that you percieved that i was saying listening to Guns n Roses suggests they have forfeited all things indian? In fact, my post didn't even mention Guns n Roses, the idea of the post was sparked by Guns n Roses coming over there but if you read the post it is referring to the current culture existing in India today and referred more precisely to cinema and Indian artists.

Right but there's a difference between discrimination and what amounts to ethnic forgery.

I agree with this actually, from "india is over 5,000 years old" onwards. Definitely. Nobody mentioned treachery...or selling out all these highly emotive phrases you employ, i simply said that as a culture the modern incarnation of India seems to be intent on westernising itself which to me is like, i dunno, i expect i'd feel kinda short-changed by that.

The fact is that it does not have to be this way. The British ruled India for fuckin ages, that generation didn't throw it's identity away and even in the 60s/70s/80s there were elements on western culture assimilated but the basic Indianness was preserved, this does not appear to be the case nowadays.

Watch any new Indian film, new Indian song and tell me it doesn't come across as cheap. Explain to me why in every new Bollywood film they might as well be in English cuz all the actors keep saying what they're saying in English half the time. I mean, why do that, Indians flock to see Bollywood films in droves, if all of these people understood English then they'd be watching those movies, this is their thing and should be a reflection of that.

Seriously, you wanna talk to me about Indians and wholesale copy and forgery of western culture, watch Ram Jaane and then watch Angels With Dirty Faces and tell me that it ain't indentical? At least in Ram Jaane the setting is still vaguely recognisable as India, these days it's even worse. And this ain't just one film this is most of that industry, i could literally go on all night picking out movies and songs that are just straight rip offs.

I'm not trying to insult you or insult your culture, fuck, your culture IS my culture, i'm from Azad Kashmir, or my family is, the older uncles of my family were born in India, i'm brown-skinned, this isn't some kind of race assault, this is me looking at a culture that i feel to be partly mine and feeling sadness for the state it is in.

This is not the way you get respect, by copying and by mimicry and by forgery, this does not make people look at Indians and erase all the embarassing memorys of little men in loincloths and red dots on their heads, fuck that shit and bring those men back.

Each culture should bring something of itself to the table, that is how you get respect, not by mimicry. As for the Mark Twain quote, thats pretty much my whole point to begin with here.

People don't stand up and tell you things like this unless they consider you apne, others will just laugh at you or be afraid of offending you.

Dude, for a desi guy with Kashmiri roots, you sound like a you worry about the cultural assimilation that you yourself seem to strongly characterize in very obvious fashion. Does having a handle patterned on Sugar Ray Leonard make you less Desi, or more American? It surely does neither.

The world is more globalized than ever and cultural influence/assimilation/integration are irreversible. That being said, India's culture is too old, too deep and too diverse for anything to destroy it or for a little Rock N' Roll to remove people from their roots. India is as much Mohammed Rafi, as it is Ravi Shankar, as it is Freddy Mercury. You can't prevent people from listening to one or the other. In addition, just because they like one, it doesn't mean that they can't like all three! (That being said, if a wee little lad named Farrokh Balsara had shunned western music in Mumbai, or resolutely stuck to listening to Mohd. Rafi and Lata M. after he moved to the UK, would we have got Queen? What would Axl have been like if ol' Freddie Mercury hadn't opened himself to Western influences tongue2.gif).

Diverse cultural influences have been the norm in India. It just doesn't have a single, monolithic culture - India and not the USA, is the original melting pot. A small example - Bangalore's Rock N' Roll concerts are always held at the Bangalore Palace grounds - a massive open area next to a palace modeled on Windsor Castle, owned by a former Maharaja, from an ancient Indian dynasty - there you have it, all the influences which you spoke of - Indian, British and American, in coexistence. All those influences have their own value. No one is complaining. <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

If 50000 Indians pack a GN'R concert and scream along to AXL singing "Do you know where the fakkkk you are", they will still go back to watching their Bollywood movies AND their Satyajit Ray classics, go out and eat at KFC AND eat Roti and Dal at home, watch their MTV at night AND go to Carnatic music classes in the morning.

Axl once said that he hopes that people forget all the problems of their daily lives in the 3 hours that they spend at a GN'R concert. So, when they're there, they don't need to worry about the corruption, the inequality, or any of the other problems that many of them face daily. Besides, those problems won't go away if they keep away from Rock N' Roll and listen to only bhajans and qawallis. 500 years ago, India and China together accounted for 60% of the world's GDP. At current growth rates, things are well on their way to getting back to something like that in another 50 years.

In the meantime, let the people have their Rock N' Roll.