Kurt Cobain's 'Nevermind' v. 'Appetite for Destruction'

arnold layne

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kurt said Nevermind came out sounding like a Motley Crue album to him.

They were both fighting the resistance against all digital production at the time, which very few bands were able to use effectively. Supposedly a lot of digital audio from that period have been problematic with remaster projects.

Kurt was more offended by Ed Van Halen calling Pat Smear "the Mexican" when he wanted to go up and play with Nirvana. He was, of course, wasted off his ass, but it disgusted the band further on older rock bands who were politically incorrect and making racist comments like that.

Kurt was for the bratty kids, but I think the musical snobbery that came from Nirvana fans to this day is ridiculous. He hated herd mentality, and it seems like the Nirvana fans who read the Journals like the bible, and the conspiracy theorists on who killed Kurt should just appreciate the fact he was around to give us good music while he was around.

It was the Gulf War era, the Rodney King beating, the cynicism in people at the time, more being lied to by presidents "read my lips, no new taxes", but it was also a celebratory timee - the end of Russian communism, the Berlin wall coming down, and a lot of bands that had been deemed "alternative" playing arenas and stadiums. U2 and REM were really the ones that opened the door as far as that went.

Jeff Buckley was for the ones who wanted something more refined and more diverse. He never made it to the next level like Ian Curtis, but both created a ripple effect in terms of impact. It wasn't immediate, people who were there at the time, knew it was special.

Kurt said Nevermind came out sounding like a Motley Crue album to him.

They were both fighting the resistance against all digital production at the time, which very few bands were able to use effectively. Supposedly a lot of digital audio from that period have been problematic with remaster projects.

Kurt was more offended by Ed Van Halen calling Pat Smear "the Mexican" when he wanted to go up and play with Nirvana. He was, of course, wasted off his ass, but it disgusted the band further on older rock bands who were politically incorrect and making racist comments like that.

Kurt was for the bratty kids, but I think the musical snobbery that came from Nirvana fans to this day is ridiculous. He hated herd mentality, and it seems like the Nirvana fans who read the Journals like the bible, and the conspiracy theorists on who killed Kurt should just appreciate the fact he was around to give us good music while he was around.

It was the Gulf War era, the Rodney King beating, the cynicism in people at the time, more being lied to by presidents "read my lips, no new taxes", but it was also a celebratory timee - the end of Russian communism, the Berlin wall coming down, and a lot of bands that had been deemed "alternative" playing arenas and stadiums. U2 and REM were really the ones that opened the door as far as that went.

Jeff Buckley was for the ones who wanted something more refined and more diverse. He never made it to the next level like Ian Curtis, but both created a ripple effect in terms of impact. It wasn't immediate, people who were there at the time, knew it was special.

great post.

man, sometimes when I'm reading your posts, I think I'm reading Chuck Klosterman.

one of my fave writers.

Do a topic on all things Syd Barrett. I think it's an absolute tragedy that someone barely 21 completely fell apart the way he did. I think it's cool Roger's mom looked after him and the band made sure he was taken care of, but how bad can it really be to just fall apart in the late 60s and live for 40 years the way he did? I always hoped Syd had pulled it together instead of being this Cambridge eccentric that lost the big picture, and watched on the sidelines as his bandmates rose to the next level.

Guest Broskirose

SCOM is the only song on AFD. RQ would be as well if not for the orgasm.

Edited by Broskirose

• 5 months later...