Axl's voice

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

Don't know what he did last night, but his singing was amazing:

Axl sounds amazing in that video. :thumbsup:

80 % Mickey mouse 20% rasp. At least he is trying to sing the part of "i see the storm its getting closer" with some rasp,but he is still far away from singing it right.

I just gave up from expecting a 2010 voice.I will remember him like 91-92 and from 2006-2010.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to get upset, your the one that said It was doubtful that Axl would ever admit to saying that he wasn't giving 100%. I just agreed with you and said that Axl Isn't always truthful.

Upset about what? I think that your inability to comprehend what you read is causing a misunderstanding.

He has the money to hire the best vocal coaches in the world to help him.

But he chooses not to stay in top form and/or rehearse. It's disrespectful to the fans at this point.

I agree with you as it pertains to the Rio debacle and I think he does himself, his band and us a huge disservice when he sings clean, weak falsetto on live TV and pay-per-view that end up watched by millions on youtube. However, as pertains to the bulk of the shows once he gets going in both 2002 and 2011-2012 I think it's fair enough. When you're at the shows, as I know having been to tens of them, his voice is being pumped so friggin loud that even if he's actually singing with clean falsetto it just sounds like he's screaming like a banshee at the top of his chest voice. That's what these idiots don't understand: it's not that the pesky iphones and youtube compressors make him sound shit, it's that when the same vocal is being blasted through a PA it sounds a shitload better.

I don't agree with the poster below you who says 'he's lost it, it's gone'. It's pretty obvious he's simply saving it, and good for him. He's already gone round England one time since Chinese came out and rasped the roof off the O2 two nights in a row. He's on the 2nd go-around now and he's hopefully saving it so next time he comes round he can sing the absolute fuck out of The General.

As Philly proved he can turn it on when he wants to and personally I think certain songs including Better and SoD sound better when he sings clean and uses rasp at specific points.

No need to get upset, your the one that said It was doubtful that Axl would ever admit to saying that he wasn't giving 100%. I just agreed with you and said that Axl Isn't always truthful.

Upset about what? I think that your inability to comprehend what you read is causing a misunderstanding.

Inability to comprehend, I don't think so. When you are having a normal conversation with someone do you always end your conversations with so whatever? You completely contradicted what Axl said, remember, giving 100% and Intentionally holding back, something doesn't add up, so whatever.

Axl should play in small venues like he did in Dallas this year, which believe me he sounded awesome. not to say he sounds like crap or anything but like u guys said he is inconsistent n I believe it's cause he can't waistband big stadium crowds. But when he is in small venues he dosnt have to strain his voice as much so naturally he won't get as tired thus keeping his voice fresh.

Inability to comprehend, I don't think so. When you are having a normal conversation with someone do you always end your conversations with so whatever? You completely contradicted what Axl said, remember, giving 100% and Intentionally holding back, something doesn't add up, so whatever.

Apathy does not equal upset. Not in the real world anyway. I always end my conversations in "so whatever" when it doesn't really matter to me what comes next, so whatever.

That's the best he's ever sounded on Estranged imo, and by a long shot. The raspy (not too raspy, not too clean) combined with the amazing vibrato gives the singing on the song another whole new level of awesomeness :thumbsup:

That's the best he's ever sounded on Estranged imo, and by a long shot. The raspy (not too raspy, not too clean) combined with the amazing vibrato gives the singing on the song another whole new level of awesomeness :thumbsup:

that its true,its the best version of Estranged ( with this lineup) ,but he is faaaaaaaar awaaaay to even sing it right.As i said before 80% mickey mouse 20% rasp.Its better! in this tour we had 100% mickey mouse in all of the shows.Just check in this tour the part of "if feel the storm is getting closer" and you will know.

That's the best he's ever sounded on Estranged imo, and by a long shot. The raspy too raspy(not , not too clean) combined with the amazing vibrato gives the singing on the song another whole new level of awesomeness :thumbsup:

that its true,its the best version of Estranged ( with this lineup) ,but he is faaaaaaaar awaaaay to even sing it right.As i said before 80% mickey mouse 20% rasp.Its better! in this tour we had 100% mickey mouse in all of the shows.Just check in this tour the part of "if feel the storm is getting closer" and you will know.

Now to me personally I would say in the old days it was way to heavy on the rasp,and rough.And as far as the music itself never sounded as good live as it does now.Not to beat down the old guys but the extra band members definetly adds to the overall sound.I would agree with Bruno Poeys description of this performance.

Would love to hear a studio unrestricted version of Estranged that would show what Axl can still pull out with his voice when he feels up to it.

Still it's a fact that probably we'll never have Axl's almost heyday rasp voice from 2010 ever again...

Just listened to It on the blue ray player with surround sound, although better then most from the last few years, I still think New Haven 1993 and uniondale 1991 blow It away.

the worst version of estranged at any show from 1991 to 93 kills,destroy and rape ( not in this order) to the not even decent last version of estranged.He has tried to sing it right but HE DID NOT,any other thinks its a big lie to yourselves.

Edited by rudolf1978

As much as he busts out the "Mickey" these days, I don't think it's 2002 bad. He still has some power behind the clean vocals. I've said before that I think he really hurt his voice in 2010 and thought to himself that he can't go on singing like that. I think he's trying to find a comfortable balance between the rasp and the cleans. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. In any event, to me the only logical explanation for the decline in his voice between 2010 and 2011 (aside from not rehearsing and getting back into shape prior to the tour) is that he hurt his voice in 2010. Singing with that heavy rasp on every note can't be good for your voice. This time around, he's doing it differently.

As much as he busts out the "Mickey" these days, I don't think it's 2002 bad. He still has some power behind the clean vocals. I've said before that I think he really hurt his voice in 2010 and thought to himself that he can't go on singing like that. I think he's trying to find a comfortable balance between the rasp and the cleans. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. In any event, to me the only logical explanation for the decline in his voice between 2010 and 2011 (aside from not rehearsing and getting back into shape prior to the tour) is that he hurt his voice in 2010. Singing with that heavy rasp on every note can't be good for your voice. This time around, he's doing it differently.

And what about the bronchitis he seemed to suffer before the RIR '11 show - couldn't it also play a part on it?

And what about the bronchitis he seemed to suffer before the RIR '11 show - couldn't it also play a part on it?

That would account for Rio. Bronchitis plus trying to sing when you've got cold water pouring on you certainly wouldn't be easy.

As far as I'm aware though, bronchitis doesn't last for months so it wouldn't be a factor now

I still remember how shocked I was to hear the performance of Jungle from the concert after Rio (Chile I think). A total turn around from how awful Jungle sounded at Rio. It was pretty damn good!

I still remember how shocked I was hearing how he sounded In Rio. We stayed up half the night waiting and stopped watching 3-4 songs Into the set. That performance as far as I'm concerned was without a doubt the worst sounding performance I have ever heard.

This was from the show after Rio, when Axl rebounded as good as anyone ever. Check out that last note Axl belts out.

Check the part " i feel the storm its getting closer" and again Mickey Mouse. I always check this part,because for me its like the epic moment of an megaepic song,and if you fucked or dont sing this part properly the song looses its effect.

Its like screaming "you know were you are, you are in the jungle" with a low voice like in "sorry".

Just to remember,becuase i think some dont remember well how Axl used to sound.

Estranged with the 2010 voice would sound awesome.

This was from the show after Rio, when Axl rebounded as good as anyone ever. Check out that last note Axl belts out.

Check the part " i feel the storm its getting closer" and again Mickey Mouse. I always check this part,because for me its like the epic moment of an megaepic song,and if you fucked or dont sing this part properly the song looses its effect.

Its like screaming "you know were you are, you are in the jungle" with a low voice like in "sorry".

Imo Axl is not sounding good at all in that Indiana video, especially in " i feel the storm its getting closer" part. Reminds me of Tokyo DVD

Edited by Kalervo

I love the current estranged, that Chile version is great, but indiana is awful, especially the 2nd half. Sandpaper Throat. If you want a decent old one, i recommend this: