Axl's voice

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

We have discussed this to death, but I think he's intentionally holding back. He has had some great performances of a lot of songs on this tour, but it isn't consistent like it was in those previous tours. I'm secretly hoping that he's holding back because he intends to get in the studio.

Why would he go on a tour where he is not gonna give 100% and do his best.. Sounds weird to me.

Because giving 100% at 3 hour shows night after night could possibly destroy his voice for good. He also sang way worse in 2001-2002.

Makes a bit of sense to me.

Not that I'm trying to make it make sense for you. That really doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is holding back, its obvious that when he wants to go full out, he still can.

I simply think he is starting to feel his age now. I mean the guy is the wrong side of 50 and singing guts out with rasp is going to have the effect of reducing your range. its either he rasps for the enxt few years and he loses anything above a certain note possibly forever, or he is careful and can still pull out the power notes towards 60.

He isn't 30 anymore though, he can't afford to be careless. If you think it sounds rough now, at least he can still get the notes. If he kept 2010 up for several years, my bet would be that by 2015 his voice would be totally shot and probably ruined...

Heck he probably lost 2-3 notes at the top end during that Euro 2010 tour, hence why he started to pull out of the very highest notes. Several years of that style of singing isn't going to help.

Also consider this is the FIRST time GnR have consistantly toured since UYI days. In previous tours with this band he had several years to really recover. Now I think Axl knows this band is pretty solid and will tour pretty much every year or so, so Axl can't afford to blow his voice totally out....he's toured every year from 2009 with this band.

Listening to some of last nights show, I think his mid range is starting to weaken alot now, so I think Axl hasn't got a choice but to go more raspy with it, for example during the 2nd half of Estranged you can really hear him struggling when he goes clean, so he inflects more rasp into it, pretty light rasp but its there.

Wow. The excuses fans come up with for the guy not sounding like he used to. Axl himself said he wont go on until he can give 100%, and now he Is holding back and doing It Intentionally. Come on man, his voice just Isn't what It once was, he still puts on a great show, so why can't we just accept that and move on.

Wow. The excuses fans come up with for the guy not sounding like he used to. Axl himself said he wont go on until he can give 100%, and now he Is holding back and doing It Intentionally. Come on man, his voice just Isn't what It once was, he still puts on a great show, so why can't we just accept that and move on.

So by your logic, Axl was giving 100% in 2001-2002 when he sounded way worse than he does now? I would completely agree with you if the situation wasn't far bleaker before. I would and did agree with you then.

He has the money to hire the best vocal coaches in the world to help him.

But he chooses not to stay in top form and/or rehearse. It's disrespectful to the fans at this point.

...or his voice really is shot and this is the best we are gonna get from now on? Some times you just can't help it... :shrugs:

Guest Broskirose

I think Axl's in that weird transition phase into getting his voice back. He either sounds horrible or amazing lately.

What conclusion have we come to then? My take would be that sometimes Axl Is untruthful. Maybe the whole I won't take the stage until I can give 100% Is his way of saying, I just wasn't ready to go on and If that means keeping the fans waiting, then so be It.

What conclusion have we come to then? My take would be that sometimes Axl Is untruthful. Maybe the whole I won't take the stage until I can give 100% Is his way of saying, I just wasn't ready to go on and If that means keeping the fans waiting, then so be It.

What that really means to me is that "My favorite re-run of Dexter isn't over yet, so I'm not going any fucking where." but you can interpret it how you want to. Everybody on this planet is far less than 100% truthful though, so whatever.

No need to get upset, your the one that said It was doubtful that Axl would ever admit to saying that he wasn't giving 100%. I just agreed with you and said that Axl Isn't always truthful.

Don't know what he did last night, but his singing was amazing:

Yeah I agree, this is an excellent performance of estranged.That little extra grit on the second half makes a difference,and to tell you the truth to me he sounds better here than on any old performance that I've seen vids of.Awesome.I'd love to hear this song live in concert.