David Cross on when your friends start having kids

Randy Lahey

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Odd world we live in where people dislike children so much.

Some people take a stand and fight to the death to defend a woman's right to abort her child.....but would put that same woman in jail if she brings the child to a movie or restaurant.

If the movie theatre or restaurant allows parents to bring children to their establishment, then your issue should be with the business owners. I guess I'm in the minority on this forum because I appreciate businesses and people who are family friendly.

When I saw the new Batman a couple brought their baby and it slept through the entire movie. But the teens in front of me texted through the entire movie. The lady behind me tapped her foot against the back of my chair for two hours, and the drunk guys beside me not only reaked, but talked through the entire show.

If I want peace and quiet with no distractions, then I rent a movie or I have friends come over for dinner. When I pay $10 to go to a movie theatre, I go knowing there will be hundreds of strangers there, and there will be distractions. That small ten dollar bill buys me the right to see a movie, it doesn't assure that all 150 there have to live up to my expectations.

To each his own though. But I feel like we need more love and tolerance in the world, and not so much anger towards people who are different from us.

Great post. Some people are great parents because they can provide a child with whatever they need where as some people can't. I have nothing against people who choose not to settle down and have kids but it's crazy for me personally NOT to want it. It's something I'd love! I hope I find myself in the ideal situation to have kids one day. I'm not going to even think about it unless it's ideal i.e right person and enough money. Well, that's the plan anyway.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to disagree on a couple of points.

If the movie theatre or restaurant allows parents to bring children to their establishment, then your issue should be with the business owners. I guess I'm in the minority on this forum because I appreciate businesses and people who are family friendly.

Well yes, and I've heard of some restaurants that have decided against letting parents bring kids. But is it too much to ask parents to have a little control? If you are McDonald's or something that's one thing. At a decent restaurant it's another story. People should have a little common courtesy.

When I saw the new Batman a couple brought their baby and it slept through the entire movie. But the teens in front of me texted through the entire movie. The lady behind me tapped her foot against the back of my chair for two hours, and the drunk guys beside me not only reaked, but talked through the entire show.

If I want peace and quiet with no distractions, then I rent a movie or I have friends come over for dinner. When I pay $10 to go to a movie theatre, I go knowing there will be hundreds of strangers there, and there will be distractions. That small ten dollar bill buys me the right to see a movie, it doesn't assure that all 150 there have to live up to my expectations.

To each his own though. But I feel like we need more love and tolerance in the world, and not so much anger towards people who are different from us.

Basically, those people should be kicked out of the theater. I don't know about you, but I always thought the expectation is that you shut off your cellphone and shut up while a movie is playing. Anything less and you're being a complete jerk. Jerks don't deserve love and tolerance. They are the ones who should try using a little consideration towards others and following societal expectations for behavior in any given situation. It's a movie for crying out loud, not a concert. Most people are going to want to follow along, and missing a piece of the puzzle because of some self-centered douchebag who doesn't know how to act around others could ruin the whole film.

Edited by KBear