Does anyone else think Nevermind was the best album of all time?

arnold layne

I could make a good case for The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars at the moment

my dad loves that album

You can tell the man from me, he's a fuckin' top lad, God bless him, where the fuck'd you go wrong, eh? Fuckin' hell, imagine the headstart you get in life having that shit in your own house playing, my parents never even owned a record or tape player or anything, i had to find this shit out for myself!

There's a very good chance that I was watching an impromptu solo set from their bassist a week last Wednesday.

What, Bolder, where? And whatcha mean there's a very good chance, were you fuckin' there is spirit or something? :lol:

Place called "The Black Boy" in Hull. They do an open mic night and some fella came in and did a few songs. He was like scarily good and it didn't sink in until after who it was. :lol:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the packed out Hammersmith Odeon with David Bowie to...some boozer in Hull, fuck me how the mighty have fallen :lol:

Local lad it seems! ;)

Trevor Bolder (born 9 June 1950, Kingston upon Hull, England)

During his spare time in his hometown of Hull, Bolder has become an avid collector of whippets and is highly regarded in the North of England for his knowledge and expertise of the breed.

I thought I'd add in the second line for your amusement! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Never in my life, what a fucking odd choice of song for someone like her, i must give that a listen when i get home, cheers Dalsh :) Didn't she end up playing Adrian Moles mum on the telly?

Edited by sugaraylen

The overnight-success story of the 1990s, Nirvana's second album and its totemic first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," shot up from the nascent grunge scene in Seattle to kick Michael Jackson off the top of the Billboard album chart and blow hair metal off the map. No album in recent history had such an overpowering impact on a generation – a nation of teens suddenly turned punk – and such a catastrophic effect on its main creator. The weight of fame led already troubled singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain to take his own life in 1994. But his slashing riffs, corrosive singing and deviously oblique writing, rammed home by the Pixies-via-Zeppelin might of bassist Krist Novoselic and drummer Dave Grohl, put the warrior purity back in rock & roll. Lyrically, Cobain raged in code – shorthand grenades of inner tumult and self-loathing. His genius, though, in songs like "Lithium," "Breed" and "Teen Spirit" was the soft-loud tension he created between verse and chorus, restraint and assault. Cobain was a pop lover at heart – and a Beatlemaniac: Nevermind producer Butch Vig remembers hearing Cobain play John Lennon's "Julia" at sessions. Cobain also fought to maintain his underground honor. Ultimately, it was a losing battle, but it is part of this album's enduring power. Vig recalls when Cobain was forced to overdub the guitar intro to "Teen Spirit" because he couldn't nail it live with the band: "That pissed him off. He wanted to play [the song] live all the way through."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531/nirvana-nevermind-19691231#ixzz22GPuAG2k

The magazine put Nevermind seventeenth on their list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, but I believe it should be rated higher than that.

To put it simply, Nirvana changed music forever - for better or for worse.

It's not even in the same stratosphere as one the best albums of all time.

Metallica is just overrated they're not bad but massively overrated.

Nevermind is good album with great songs. But the most album of the all time ? Fuck No ! There are even better "grunge" albums as a whole - "Ten", "Dirt", "Superunknown".

It's hard to pick any album as the best of all time, not a big Beatles fan but White Album anyone ? Led Zeppelin II and IV, Exile on Main Street, Blizzard of Ozz, Back In Black, Texas Flood to name a few.

nirvana has 0 great songs metallica had 4 amazing albums that were monumental and influenced kids starting metal bands for almost 30 years now. who starts a grunge band today?

as for the albums you listed great albums although blizzard of ozz is slightly overrated IMO i has a couple really weak tracks but the great tracks override that for the most part lol

Name one good metal band influenced by Metallica ? Metallica is good but overrated nothing monumental.

I don't know about any new grunge bands becasue "grunge" is fucking stupid label all those band were different. I think of them as band who were within some genre but their style and ambition was much wider.

- take Alice in Chains , they are metal band but incorporating perosonal lyrics, vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars + very innovative guitar playing

- Soundgarden with those Sabbath riffs and drumming, but Chris Cornell is really unique songwriter and vocalist , also different kind of cryptic lyrics

- Pearl Jam is classic rock band but with really genuine and true.

- Nirvana was an ambitious punk band

there is noting this band have in common in muiscal sense , yeah they're all from Seattle

my dad also likes old school metal and hard rock but he is a bigger 60s and 70s classic rock fan. most what i listen to i found on my own after a little guidance by sneaking into my older brothers room lol

as for nirvana i love this song

Edited by bran

Metallica is just overrated they're not bad but massively overrated.

Nevermind is good album with great songs. But the most album of the all time ? Fuck No ! There are even better "grunge" albums as a whole - "Ten", "Dirt", "Superunknown".

It's hard to pick any album as the best of all time, not a big Beatles fan but White Album anyone ? Led Zeppelin II and IV, Exile on Main Street, Blizzard of Ozz, Back In Black, Texas Flood to name a few.

nirvana has 0 great songs metallica had 4 amazing albums that were monumental and influenced kids starting metal bands for almost 30 years now. who starts a grunge band today?

as for the albums you listed great albums although blizzard of ozz is slightly overrated IMO i has a couple really weak tracks but the great tracks override that for the most part lol

Name one good metal band influenced by Metallica ? Metallica is good but overrated nothing monumental.

LOL.

Heathen is one. Or did you not know about them? How about Darkseed? Gojira, Machine Head (not my favourite, but a lot of people love them), Mastodon. Metallica has influenced a lot of good or great metal bands over the years. Just because they're not hugely popular doesn't mean anything.

LOL.

Heathen is one. Or did you not know about them? How about Darkseed? Gojira, Machine Head (not my favourite, but a lot of people love them), Mastodon. Metallica has influenced a lot of good or great metal bands over the years. Just because they're not hugely popular doesn't mean anything.

it was utterly stupid of a question i wasnt going to even respond :lol:

metallica has influenced so many bands its not even funny

also heathen kicks ass great band after 18 years they put out the evolution of chaos i did back flips. they are also going to release a live album

I dislike 98% of Metallica's output. I've heard their entire catalog and only like two or three songs (because the others all sound the same, and/or they sound like shit).

That said, not influential? :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: They're one of the most influential metal bands of all time.

i hate everything after and justice

Guest Len B'stard

I can't stand Metallica. Biggest load of run of the mill bollocks i've ever heard. That horrible lead singer and his West Biker growl gets SOOO annoying after a while, total fucking cack. And God have you seen em in interviews? They're the most horrible thick arrogant cunts in the world. I mean i should talk, a fan of Sid Vicious going on about horrible thick arrogant cunts but...there was also something quite sweet and silly about Sidney, the notion of this skinny gangley English guy going around giving it large, saying silly ridiculous things in interviews like "i wanna be like Iggy Pop and die before i'm 30" Uh, Iggy still alive Sid :rofl-lol:

Metallica just look like a bunch of horrible cunts with no let up and more important than anything, any of their music i've heard is absolute fuckin' shite.

Edited by sugaraylen

I think any band that was able to stick to their guns with the music, and get distributed in record stores everywhere, is influential, but they weren't the originators of thrash metal, which was a punk and metal hybrid. Lemmy owns that one, and even back then was old enough to be Hetfield's dad. I think the biggest complaint about Metallica in the studio was the bass. It's one of the things fans gripe about the most, get a remix in and bring Cliff's bass up more, and re-record the rest of it with Jason.

Lars prob. should've gotten a job as distributor for record stores in SoCal, considering how much he spent in having them imported from Europe.

I think the biggest complaint about Metallica in the studio was the bass. It's one of the things fans gripe about the most, get a remix in and bring Cliff's bass up more, and re-record the rest of it with Jason.

I have no clue why someone would hire Cliff Burton just to bury that man in the mix (even worse when you consider Kirk only played the solos until Load, so with Cliff turned down, its essentially James and Lars for the most part)

I really liked them as a teenager.

Fade To Black, Jump In The Fire, Master, Battery, Sanatarium (sp).......I don't know which one it is, but once I "grew up" I stopped liking them, or they changed their sound a bit - which made me stop listening to them.

But I've always thought that Master of Puppets and Fade To Black - as a 1-2 heavy-to-ballad song combo ranks near the top of the list for hard rock type bands.