Does anyone else think Nevermind was the best album of all time?

arnold layne

The overnight-success story of the 1990s, Nirvana's second album and its totemic first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," shot up from the nascent grunge scene in Seattle to kick Michael Jackson off the top of the Billboard album chart and blow hair metal off the map. No album in recent history had such an overpowering impact on a generation – a nation of teens suddenly turned punk – and such a catastrophic effect on its main creator. The weight of fame led already troubled singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain to take his own life in 1994. But his slashing riffs, corrosive singing and deviously oblique writing, rammed home by the Pixies-via-Zeppelin might of bassist Krist Novoselic and drummer Dave Grohl, put the warrior purity back in rock & roll. Lyrically, Cobain raged in code – shorthand grenades of inner tumult and self-loathing. His genius, though, in songs like "Lithium," "Breed" and "Teen Spirit" was the soft-loud tension he created between verse and chorus, restraint and assault. Cobain was a pop lover at heart – and a Beatlemaniac: Nevermind producer Butch Vig remembers hearing Cobain play John Lennon's "Julia" at sessions. Cobain also fought to maintain his underground honor. Ultimately, it was a losing battle, but it is part of this album's enduring power. Vig recalls when Cobain was forced to overdub the guitar intro to "Teen Spirit" because he couldn't nail it live with the band: "That pissed him off. He wanted to play [the song] live all the way through."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531/nirvana-nevermind-19691231#ixzz22GPuAG2k

The magazine put Nevermind seventeenth on their list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, but I believe it should be rated higher than that.

To put it simply, Nirvana changed music forever - for better or for worse.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good album. The best of all time? Don't be ridiculous.

AFD > Nevermind

LOL.

AFD doesn't even scrape the top 300

It's easily top 100 and the only reason I'm not putting it higher is cos once you start talking about the best 100 albums EVER written nobody can be any more accurate than that.

AFD > Nevermind

LOL.

And yet it's still better than Nevermind

No.

Fuck off kid. AFD > Nevermind. UYI's > Nevermind. Gn'R > Nirvana. Axl Rose > Kurt Cobain. My cock > Your cock.

Reported.

/facepalm

AFD > Nevermind

LOL.

It's easily top 100 and the only reason I'm not putting it higher is cos once you start talking about the best 100 albums EVER written nobody can be any more accurate than that.

This.

I also love Nevermind, but I even prefer In Utero. Also, what would be the criteria for "best?" When you talk about changing the face of music, that's more about "greatness" than "best," y'know, impact vs quality. Besides the fact that there are probably billions of albums, I wouldn't even know where to begin with a "best" list

This.

I also love Nevermind, but I even prefer In Utero. Also, what would be the criteria for "best?" When you talk about changing the face of music, that's more about "greatness" than "best," y'know, impact vs quality. Besides the fact that there are probably billions of albums, I wouldn't even know where to begin with a "best" list

Anybody who even uses the phrase "the best album of all time" is a chode cos if it even exists there's a very good chance they've never even heard it. :shrugs: