Who could've replaced Jim Morrison in The Doors?

Vincent Vega

When Jim Morrison died suddenly in Paris in July 1971, the rest of the band were composing material for when he returned. The band wasn't sure if he was ever going to return; Jim had been giving the band and others mixed messages--On one hand saying he planned to return to America in September 1971, on another saying he never planned to leave France; On one hand, washing his hands of music, at least for that time, yet when he was told that LA Woman was getting a very positive reception, he said something along the lines of "If they like that, just wait till they see what I'm gonna do next." Not the exact phrasing. He seemed to be very unsure and indecisive with where he wanted to go with his life--Telling Patricia Keneally he planned to leave Pamela and move with her to New York in October '71, yet also seeming still very much in love with Pamela. He was acting odd; He visited Pere Lachaise Cemetery with a friend just days before his own death.

After he died, The Doors had a bunch of material, some songs outtakes from the LA Woman sessions that Jim never put vocals to, some new material the band had worked on with him before he left for Paris, and some brand new material. They considered very strongly at first replacing him and asked Iggy Pop (whose main inspiration was Jim) if he'd join, but he felt he was both too young and also felt he couldn't replace Jim...So they decided that Ray and Robbie would lead the band as singers, and released two final albums as The Doors.

Who do you think COULD have been a good replacement for Jim in 1971? I think Alice Cooper could've been really interesting as a replacement for Jim given his song Desperado. He could croon similar to Jim and also had the same dark macabre interests and to top it off, he was a personal friend and drinking partner of Jim. Van Morrison could've been an interesting choice too.

Edited by Indigo Miser

When Jim Morrison died suddenly in Paris in July 1971, the rest of the band were composing material for when he returned. The band wasn't sure if he was ever going to return; Jim had been giving the band and others mixed messages--On one hand saying he planned to return to America in September 1971, on another saying he never planned to leave France; On one hand, washing his hands of music, at least for that time, yet when he was told that LA Woman was getting a very positive reception, he said something along the lines of "If they like that, just wait till they see what I'm gonna do next." Not the exact phrasing. He seemed to be very unsure and indecisive with where he wanted to go with his life--Telling Patricia Keneally he planned to leave Pamela and move with her to New York in October '71, yet also seeming still very much in love with Pamela. He was acting odd; He visited Pere Lachaise Cemetery with a friend just days before his own death.

After he died, The Doors had a bunch of material, some songs outtakes from the LA Woman sessions that Jim never put vocals to, some new material the band had worked on with him before he left for Paris, and some brand new material. They considered very strongly at first replacing him and asked Iggy Pop (whose main inspiration was Jim) if he'd join, but he felt he was both too young and also felt he couldn't replace Jim...So they decided that Ray and Robbie would lead the band as singers, and released two final albums as The Doors.

Who do you think COULD have been a good replacement for Jim in 1971? I think Alice Cooper could've been really interesting as a replacement for Jim given his song Desperado. He could croon similar to Jim and also had the same dark macabre interests and to top it off, he was a personal friend and drinking partner of Jim. Van Morrison could've been an interesting choice too.

nobody. Not trying to be sarcastic or rude. I love Alice and all, but him and Jim are too completely different singers. Some singers can and have been successfully replaced, but not Jim. In my opinion anyways.

I'm a huge Doors fan. They're my fav band. I don't believe that anybody could have replaced Jim, and I can't believe they tried, especially so soon after Morrison passed away. He passed away in July '71. They released Other Voices in November '71, a mere 4 months later. It seems like they could've at least waited a little longer to release OV. I'm cool with Ray, Robby and John carrying on but not as The Doors. They should've taken that new material, found a new singer and carried on as a new band. Ray felt that way after they officially disbanded, saying in an interview that they should've called themselves Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore.

In 2002, Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger reformed The Doors with Ian Astbury of The Cult. They were sued by drummer John Densmore and forced to change their name.

that would have been my pick ian was great with the doors

I'm a huge Doors fan. They're my fav band. I don't believe that anybody could have replaced Jim, and I can't believe they tried, especially so soon after Morrison passed away. He passed away in July '71. They released Other Voices in November '71, a mere 4 months later. It seems like they could've at least waited a little longer to release OV. I'm cool with Ray, Robby and John carrying on but not as The Doors. They should've taken that new material, found a new singer and carried on as a new band. Ray felt that way after they officially disbanded, saying in an interview that they should've called themselves Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore.

The trio sounded fine, but completely agree they should've gone under another name.