Original version of November Rain

fernandoGNR

I read in articles and interviews that the original version of November Rain was 18 ~ 25 minutes long. Did you ever hear that version of the song? What can you tell us about it? Was it just Axl and the piano? What did the rest of the band think about it? i don't think they love it at first.

Thanks Marc for all your answers, I love reading everything you have to say!

Edited by fernandoGNR

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I don't know how true this is, but I remember reading somewhere that Estranged was the second part of November rain. If it would be true, the songs would come up in about 19 minutes.

I read in articles and interviews that the original version of November Rain was 18 ~ 25 minutes long. Did you ever hear that version of the song? What can you tell us about it? Was it just Axl and the piano? What did the rest of the band think about it? i don't think they love it at first.

Thanks Marc for all your answers, I love reading everything you have to say!

I heard Axl playing it when I first met him back in 1984. I think it was at Tracii Guns home. They recorded it in May of 1986 for a quick 2 track demo. They did 2 different versions, one piano and vocals only 10 minutes and one with a acoustic guitar and vocals 5 minutes.

I don't know how true this is, but I remember reading somewhere that Estranged was the second part of November rain. If it would be true, the songs would come up in about 19 minutes.

I think you're right.

Now i remember, Matt Sorum said it on twitter

Oh yah It is a November Rain. Piece of trivia November Rain and Estranged were originally one complete song, a very long song

This is from Slash's book:

Prior to releasing Appetite for Destruction: (...) Tom [Zutaut] did manage to get us into the studio with Manny Charlton, the guitarist for Nazareth, at Sound City Studios on Whitsett and Moorpark out in the Valley. We worked on demos of 'November Rain', which was about eighteen minutes long in its original version, so needless to say we really needed to sit down and focus on arranging it

Marc, do you remember anything else about this? Thank you!

Edited by fernandoGNR

I think you're right.

Now i remember, Matt Sorum said it on twitter

Oh yah It is a November Rain. Piece of trivia November Rain and Estranged were originally one complete song, a very long song

This is from Slash's book:

Prior to releasing Appetite for Destruction: (...) Tom [Zutaut] did manage to get us into the studio with Manny Charlton, the guitarist for Nazareth, at Sound City Studios on Whitsett and Moorpark out in the Valley. We worked on demos of 'November Rain', which was about eighteen minutes long in its original version, so needless to say we really needed to sit down and focus on arranging it

Marc, do you remember anything else about this? Thank you!

No but I'm sure it did need some arranging. But I don't think it was ever that long.

Maybe it seemed like 18 minutes to Slash. Not sure if it was a song he personally liked, esp. if it was one Axl was continuing to work on since GNR's inception. Even when GNR took it out on the road before UYI was out, everyone knew the words because of how widespread the bootleg became.

I heard Axl playing it when I first met him back in 1984. I think it was at Tracii Guns home. They recorded it in May of 1986 for a quick 2 track demo. They did 2 different versions, one piano and vocals only 10 minutes and one with a acoustic guitar and vocals 5 minutes.

So Marc, you are saying this acoustic version is in fact Tracii Guns on Guitar?

No its not Tracii. I said Axl was at Tracii house and there was a piano there so Axl was playing it. The acoustic was done in May of 1986 1 year after tracii was out of the band

As a kid, prior to the release of the UYI's, I actually broke into my friends house to dub a bootleg cassette of those two November Rain recordings. He was unwilling to share, so I had to take matters into my own hands.

wow, that's actually pretty crazy.

No its not Tracii. I said Axl was at Tracii house and there was a piano there so Axl was playing it. The acoustic was done in May of 1986 1 year after tracii was out of the band

Is that Slash or Izzy on guitar?