First concert you ever went to?

Redhead74

Mine was Pink Floyd, February 18, 1988: Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. I was 13 and my parents took me along (thanks Mum and Dad :thumbsup:). I remember it was amazing. :)

I hate you now. <_<

Very jealous!

My Mum and Dad have good taste in music actually. I was very lucky in that regard. I remember once going on holiday with them and driving in the car for hours and hours and I was listening to GNR Lies on my Walkman (must have been 1988 or 89) and Dad goes to me "what are you listening to?", so I tell him, "Guns n Roses, Dad". So he says "well let's have a listen then". So I give him the cassette (the acoustic side, mind you) and he puts it in the car tape deck and I sit there with my Mum and Dad in the car while Axl's blaring out of the speakers: Patience, You're Crazy, Used To Love and One In A Million. Dad says, "Gee, that's pretty good" amd Mum mumbles something about the language not being very nice and that was it! They thought it wasn't bad at all which I was quite surprised about. Dad even asked me to put it on again the next day. :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mum and Dad have good taste in music actually. I was very lucky in that regard. I remember once going on holiday with them and driving in the car for hours and hours and I was listening to GNR Lies on my Walkman (must have been 1988 or 89) and Dad goes to me "what are you listening to?", so I tell him, "Guns n Roses, Dad". So he says "well let's have a listen then". So I give him the cassette (the acoustic side, mind you) and he puts it in the car tape deck and I sit there with my Mum and Dad in the car while Axl's blaring out of the speakers: Patience, You're Crazy, Used To Love and One In A Million. Dad says, "Gee, that's pretty good" amd Mum mumbles something about the language not being very nice and that was it! They thought it wasn't bad at all which I was quite surprised about. Dad even asked me to put it on again the next day. :)

Haha! Not bad at all! My dad really did get me into a lot of great artists at a young age. Stuff like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Paul Simon etc etc. Then that sort of wore down a little when I was around 12/13. But at 14 I discovered rock music (GnR, AC/DC, Aerosmith etc) and came right back to everything dad had played me for years. :lol: So yeah, I was blessed with a big and broad musical education as well. :) Like you said, in the car especially. Making mix tapes and playing them in the car or around the house. There was always music around.

The concert-going went the other way though. My dad never really went to many gigs at all. And only if they were very close to home. I started to go to concerts more and more and got my dad to come along to quite a few of them. ^_^ Got him from just going to small venues that were close to going along to arena's abroad. :P

Quid pro quo I guess. :)

That's very cool! I remember hearing a lot of Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel And Pink Floyd when I was little and then in my teens and 20s I deliberately turned to other styles of music (because that's what teenagers do right?) because I wanted to associate with something that represented the opposite of my parents. Then slowly over time I've come back to really love that early stuff, just like what you did, and am even doing it recently now so many years later. Its like coming full circle. That's life I guess. :)

You saying I'm old? :anger:

Did he enjoy the lovely racism of One in A Million (i do)?

You know, they didn't say a thing about it. Mum wasn't too happy about the liberal use of the word fuck in You're Crazy (it was a lot worse back in 88 than it is today) but other than that they didn't criticise any of it. They said that Patience was lovely. :)

Well I loved Dangerous by MJ. I was only 3 when I got it. Other than that, look for anything that was released around 95-97 and odds are I loved it back then. Used to get up early morning too to watch music videos from when I was about 4.

You saying I'm old? :anger:

No I'm saying you were lucky as fuck. Though when I think about all the awesome music from my childhood I feel old as shit.

Actually I feel luckier to have been around for the original lineup of GNR. so the late 80s was better than the 90s I reckon. The intro of Paradise City can still give me a shiver because I used to go nuts when it came on the radio when it was a big hit. I used to watch the music video (on VHS) over and over and over until the tape was nearly worn out. I'm feeling very nostalgic tonight for some reason. Doing so much reminiscing! :lol:

That's very cool! I remember hearing a lot of Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel And Pink Floyd when I was little and then in my teens and 20s I deliberately turned to other styles of music (because that's what teenagers do right?) because I wanted to associate with something that represented the opposite of my parents. Then slowly over time I've come back to really love that early stuff, just like what you did, and am even doing it recently now so many years later. Its like coming full circle. That's life I guess. :)

Oh! Neil Young was definitely part of my childhood as well. ;) You just took longer to rebel I guess. I got into rock at 14 and stuck with it. ;) So my 20's were easy. Rock rebellion for me was 14-17 with some more metal etc. Although generally it was more a hardrock gnr acdc'ish deal. It does make you dig deeper in music and you eventually get back to the stuff you already knew. :) Hey, I came full-circle around the age of 20. Not bad ey? :D Then again I'm 28 now and still discovering a lot of old-new music :)

Oh! Neil Young was definitely part of my childhood as well. ;) You just took longer to rebel I guess. I got into rock at 14 and stuck with it. ;) So my 20's were easy. Rock rebellion for me was 14-17 with some more metal etc. Although generally it was more a hardrock gnr acdc'ish deal. It does make you dig deeper in music and you eventually get back to the stuff you already knew. :) Hey, I came full-circle around the age of 20. Not bad ey? :D Then again I'm 28 now and still discovering a lot of old-new music :)

Funny, we all have our own journey. I got into rock in the late 80s, so mid to late teens. Then I started clubbing and got into dance music and went to raves and stuff like that in my 20s. Then in my late 20s and early 30s I listened solely to classical music for about 5 years. Then I came started coming back to the early stuff with Leonard Cohen and some of the rock stuff and more recently with Neil Young. I kind of went all over the place. :lol:

Funny, we all have our own journey. I got into rock in the late 80s, so mid to late teens. Then I started clubbing and got into dance music and went to raves and stuff like that in my 20s. Then in my late 20s and early 30s I listened solely to classical music for about 5 years. Then I came started coming back to the early stuff with Leonard Cohen and some of the rock stuff and more recently with Neil Young. I kind of went all over the place. :lol:

Were you like the musical equivalent of being bi-curious?