First concert you ever went to?

Redhead74

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iris - biggest Romanian rock band. Stadium show in my home town, but it was a small stadium I suppose. They were touring for their big comeback album. (Picture Aerosmith in late 80s or 90s for comparison) I was 9 or 10. Went with my parents and my two cousins. It was the show that got me into Iris, and it was Iris that got me interested in rock music (Aerosmith later got me hooked).

My first show by a foreign band, also my first 'big' show, was The Rolling Stones in 2007. Great start, I gotta say.

Oh wait, if classical music count, my first concert was at the age of 6 and probably the dutch concert orchestra, playing Tsjaikovski or something like that. My dad used to drag us to those concerts. I severly hated going, when I was young. But my dad is totally into classical music. He is an expert. Now I love classical music, but as a child sittting still and being quit for the whole concert was a nightmare! I think I started to love rock music, just to piss him of! ;)

The standard of classical music is great in the Netherlands. I really enjoyed seeing performances at the Amsterdam concertgebouw, and the ballet and NDT are awesome too. Actually the Melbourne Symphony and the Australian Ballet are both fantastic too so I can't complain in that regard, but we have nothing like the NDT here.

WTF??? I dont believe it! The man was amazing when i saw him. Bummer Lenny! :(

Thing is i banged out a bottle of vodka before i got there, having never been to a seated gig (cept Noel Gallagher but i was up front and ended up standing anyway) and i'm 22 rows back in Wembley Arena, watching this little dot 50 miles away, with a bunch of old leather-faced mummys staring at nothing...remembered why i loved punk so much, cuz it's hands on, small places, eyeball to eyeball, a sea of writhing bodies floating over and through and around each other, this was a load of fuckin' bullshit, i'm too young for that shit...or too drunk...was a waste of fuckin' time, i don't pay money to sit down and watch some shit like i'm at the movies, clapping politely, fuck that. I dunno what i was expecting, the guy is in his mid 70s but still, fuck, i ain't that fuckin' knackered yet to be going through that shit :lol:

Honestly? Was a bunch of fuckin' bullshit, either that or my traditional gig routine of slingin' half a bottle vodka beforehand was perhaps badly timed in this instance.

Oh, what a shame man! When I saw him I went with my parents so I wasn't exactly expecting a mosh pit or anything! But the audience here in Melbourne was really into it, it was laid back but everyone was singing along and people got up to sway and dance in the aisles and stuff. It was pretty cool considering the majority of the audience was over 50. You could tell they were all 70s hippies, getting their little moment to be transported back to that time. :)

The standard of classical music is great in the Netherlands. I really enjoyed seeing performances at the Amsterdam concertgebouw, and the ballet and NDT are awesome too. Actually the Melbourne Symphony and the Australian Ballet are both fantastic too so I can't complain in that regard, but we have nothing like the NDT here.

Yes, it was 'het concert gebouw orkest, in those days with Bernard Haitink, who is now known all over the world.

How nice you have seen them. It is indeed a great orchestra. :thumbsup:

I am also a huge ballet fan! Did you also see the modern performances ? Nice to hear somebody loves going to that as well.

Yes, it was 'het concert gebouw orkest, in those days with Bernard Haitink, who is now known all over the world.

How nice you have seen them. It is indeed a great orchestra. :thumbsup:

I am also a huge ballet fan! Did you also see the modern performances ? Nice to hear somebody loves going to that as well.

Funny you should mention it. I remember seeing the NDT in 1987 and it was amazing! I did ballet myself for quite a few years and this one performance made a big impression on me. For the last 25 years whenever I have thought about it the music played in my head too but I never knew what it was. Then about 3 weeks ago Lenny (Sugaraylen) was giving me a lesson on punk and introduced me to PiL. By chance I discovered that piece of music which was a revelation to me. It's called The Order of Death and the NDT did the most extraordinary contemporary piece to it. Here's the track:

I just saw you already mentioned NDT.

The funny thing is, I became a fan of modern ballet after seeing a performance, where they used the music of Nina Hagen. There was other music in the other pieces as well, so maybe we are talking about the same show here :rofl-lol:

Oh and I did ballet from the age of 5 till the age of 15 intensivly. Had to give it up, cause of psychical reasons, but I loved it!

That is so funny! Imagine if we were at the same show! Anythings possible! I did ballet from 6 to 15 as well, so almost the same length of time. I gave up because I became a distracted teenager, who spent more time watching Axl and his snake dance than listening to my stuffy ballet teacher telling me what to do! Axl's a bad influence! I wish I hadn't given up but that's the way it goes sometimes. No one can tell a 15 year old what to do, hey? :lol:

WTF??? I dont believe it! The man was amazing when i saw him. Bummer Lenny! :(

Thing is i banged out a bottle of vodka before i got there, having never been to a seated gig (cept Noel Gallagher but i was up front and ended up standing anyway) and i'm 22 rows back in Wembley Arena, watching this little dot 50 miles away, with a bunch of old leather-faced mummys staring at nothing...remembered why i loved punk so much, cuz it's hands on, small places, eyeball to eyeball, a sea of writhing bodies floating over and through and around each other, this was a load of fuckin' bullshit, i'm too young for that shit...or too drunk...was a waste of fuckin' time, i don't pay money to sit down and watch some shit like i'm at the movies, clapping politely, fuck that. I dunno what i was expecting, the guy is in his mid 70s but still, fuck, i ain't that fuckin' knackered yet to be going through that shit :lol:

Honestly? Was a bunch of fuckin' bullshit, either that or my traditional gig routine of slingin' half a bottle vodka beforehand was perhaps badly timed in this instance.

You would hate the Symphony then which is too bad as a good classical symphony is amazing.....then again I hated it too when I was your age but got into it as I got older and realized how incredible a symphony orchestra sounds.....

I think i was just too immature and/or pissed for that shit..

Not necessarily. The wrong crowd can really be a dampener on what could be an amazing show. The other thing is the venue. Didn't you say he was playing at Wembley? That's 90,000 capacity isn't it? When I saw LC it was at an arena with under 15,000 capacity and even that I felt was at the limit of how big it should be. I think that he is probably best in small venues because it's not loud rock music and if the crowd are all dowdy and boring then you aren't going to get the right atmosphere at all. Such a shame. :(

James on the 9th of December, 2001. I suppose it's all been negated since they reformed in 2007 but that was supposedly their final tour... They were my first proper favourite band that I actually went out and bought the albums, B-sides, you name it. Musically, they were pretty much my whole world and at age 11 this was my first chance to see them live and also supposedly the last time I ever would...

I'll never forget the emotion in the arena when this was played:

The intro still gives me goosebumps, that awesome feeling of seeing your idols in person for the first time, the first atmosphere of a big gig like that combined with that crushing sense of finality. It was powerful stuff.

Mine was Pink Floyd, February 18, 1988: Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. I was 13 and my parents took me along (thanks Mum and Dad :thumbsup:). I remember it was amazing. :)

I hate you now. <_<

Very jealous!

I've seen a local band here and there, earliest I can remember was a Dutch band called The Sheer. The girl I was with at the time wanted to go. -_-

But the first decent gig was BB King @ Ahoy, Rotterdam. Man that was awesome!

Edited by username