Axl Rose is not a hasbeen and here's why...

Towelie

Check your facts again asshole 8302 and no need for anymore of your bullshit private message. Guns did not outsell def Leppard for the past 10 years, last year Leppard averaged 8,364 per show grossing 19 million compared to Guns doing 6,400 per show and grossing 11 million. Oh wait, Its not fair, Its not fair. You Double Talking Jive motherfucker.

AGAIN, they weren't touring by themselves, they were touring with HEART and they played TEN MORE SHOWS than GUNS, so again, you're an ass hat.

So, what your saying Is that Heart was the determining factor In Def Leppard having a larger attendance then Guns N Roses, If so ,out of the 8,364 how many fans do you think was there because Heart was on the bill.

I have no idea, what don't you ask someone who gives a shit?

That's what I thought.

Well in some parts of the world gnr can play stadiums like south and central america,germany some eastern europe countries (bulgaria,romania),japan,australia,india...gnr is big band maybe not bih like in 90'es,but still big...

They are big, but not as big as ironmt's girlfriends ass... that shit is HUGE!

And certainly not as big as your mothers. At least that's what I was told after she was gangbanged and left along the road.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always makes me laugh when people call Axl a "hasbeen" and other such derogatory insults. To me, the definition of a hasbeen is someone who continues in their chosen field despite continually waning popularity and relevance (Sebastian Bach, Motley Crue, Def Leopard etc). These are people who continue to make new music but the sale figures are poor and they regularly tour but the venues are increasingly remote.

Okay, GNR is no longer a stadium band, but Axl still performs in respectable world-class arenas the world over! How many other so-called "hasbeens" can play venues like the London o2 Arena on consecutive nights??

The key difference between Axl's GNR and many other 80s rock acts in 2012 is that he CHOSE to take a hiatus from 94-2000 and he CHOSE to only release one album in the last 20 years. Frustrating as that is, he is the one calling the shots and the truth is, he has thousands of people in the palm of his hand waiting on his next move.

Granted, Chinese Democracy didn't set the world on fire like AFD or UYI, but who these days is selling those kind of figures?? The days of epic million-dollar music videos and albums selling 10-20 million+ ended long before 2008, so to place these kind of expectations on Axl's GNR is hugely unfair. The reality is, if Axl dropped a new album next month, it would almost certainly enter the top 5 on Billboard which is not something many "hasbeens" could achieve.

I will agree with you that Axl is not a has been... Anytime anyone can go out and demand several 100-thousand dollars a show is not "has-been" Now I am not Crue fan at all but I dont think you can call Motley has beens either. They still do very well while touring and headline major festivals just Like GnR. I will say Motley is cheesy but not has-beens same with Def Leopard

Axl Rose isn't a has-been??

Say fucking who???

As far as the REAL world is concerned, outside of the few thousand of shut-in basement-dwellers on these forums, he's a fucking HAS BEEN.

What the fuck??

This is why he still sell out arenas... good point.

Btw, I don't really know what you are trying to do but it really seems you are trying very hard to be one of those attention whores (cupcakes)... and it aint workin' lemme tell ya.

Just very annoying and obnoxious that's it.

And cupcake this comment please, again... it will Pixel-Hurt me. :(

Btw, I don't really know what you are trying to do but it really seems you are trying very hard to be one of those attention whores (cupcakes)... and it aint workin' lemme tell ya.

OK fine.

How many arenas were SOLD OUT during the last "gnr" arena tour in 2011?

OK fine.

I'm not speaking of just US, I'm talking about the whole world. Maybe I exaggerated with the world "sold out", it is easy to do so, BUT around the globe, they sell a ton more than a, well, "sellout" would sell, atleast admit that.

OK fine.

I'm not speaking of just US, I'm talking about the whole world. Maybe I exaggerated with the world "sold out", it is easy to do so, BUT around the globe, they sell a ton more than a, well, "sellout" would sell, atleast admit that.

i dont have to admit a damn thing. you just said it all yourself. axl is a fucking washed up has been in the states and you can take that fact to the bank!!

Edited by estrangedtwat

OK fine.

i dont have to admit a damn thing. you just said it all yourself. axl is a fucking washed up has been in the states and you can take that fact to the bank!!

Ok.. .calm down... jeez.

I didn't say anything lol, I'm saying they play all the around the world (most bands don't have the ability to do so), sell a great amount of tickets, put on a 3 hour show, with a bunch of songs from ALL the Guns collection, and Axl still goes on stage and runs around, dances and has a great time. I don't understand why you are so negative. You seem like a cool dude, just chill out. :D Remember, it's just music. This guy, Axl Rose, gets to sing for a living. It aint politics.

Ah, but why care about the US?

Exactly, we all know that rock n roll in general is falling in the US and rarely one sells out an arena over here. Yeah, it is sad, but it's true. You hear bands talk, (so where's your favorite place to play), you rarely hear anywhere here, it's always Mexico or Argentina.

Edited by GNRFan53

You hear bands talk, (so where's your favorite place to play), you rarely hear anywhere here, it's always Mexico or Argentina.

Riiiiiight. All those kids that are just dying to "make it." Struggling to be the next Nirvana or Green Day......

They don't wanna play New York, or LA, or San Francisco or Boston or Chicago.....

No.

They wanna play in Mexico.

yeaaaaaaah.

Fucking Mexico is where it's at these days. Woo.

Or maybe....just maybe...if they're super lucky??? Argentina.

Yeah.

You hear bands talk, (so where's your favorite place to play), you rarely hear anywhere here, it's always Mexico or Argentina.

Riiiiiight. All those kids that are just dying to "make it." Struggling to be the next Nirvana or Green Day......

They don't wanna play New York, or LA, or San Francisco or Boston or Chicago.....

No.

They wanna play in Mexico.

yeaaaaaaah.

Fucking Mexico is where it's at these days. Woo.

Or maybe....just maybe...if they're super lucky??? Argentina.

Yeah.

.... you are misunderstanding my point.

I am saying that those decent sized alternative bands these days, almost all of them, who have a CAREER....

In the US, they play clubs and small arenas maybe... In other countries they may play stadiums or huge festivals.

Yet, for example, Justin Beiber can sell out American Airlines (at like 300 bucks a ticket) no problem. The music world here is changing, for the worse. You keep misleading what I am saying... on purpose i suppose.

A has been is just someone who is not relevant anymore and Axl at this point in his career is probably entering that state. Still the man choose like OP said to stay irrelevant for more than 15 years of his career and to compare him to acts like Def Lepard and Motley Crue is a joke GnR easily outsells those bands lol and thats just Axl imagine if the original 5 were together thats just funny to me :devilshades: . I see Axl entering that stage of irrelevance in the same vain that Robert Plant is; in that the community of Rock n Roll view him like a legend and thats basically what any musician wants. There is a reason why most musicians and vocalist name Axl Rose as the last great front man and to me thats a great way to just settle a career down n just go out n show people a good time like Axl n company is doing.

How is Robert Plant irrelevant when he won a Grammy for album of the year and chooses to play smaller venues?

If someone put out a classic album that manages to gain fans over future generations, the band never becomes irrelevant.

I think Axl went from competing against the past, to resting on his laurels in 2009, but he put a good band that did the songs justice. Slash took potshots at Buckethead, prob. would take potshots at Bumblefoot (like Adler took potshots against nuGuns, and Ron had to remind him they'd played together before), but he has nothing personal against them.

Van Morrison never toured for Astral Weeks, yet it became one of the highlight concerts of 2008, at the Hollywood Bowl. Maybe Axl was there? Van eventually milked it a bit and gouged fans over the next couple of years, but that album still meant a lot to people. Axl's become more like the Van Morrison of hard rock, but he gave Them up almost 50 years ago, but even he put stuff like Brown Eyed Girl on rest. Let's see Axl do that with SCOM, WTTJ, or PC.

if at least a new single isn't released on itunes before the vegas residency shows.....the critics will continue saying axl rose is washed up in the industry

if axl would release a new single on itunes and talk about the latest guns n roses masterpiece music video called better...if axl did things like this before the vegas residency shows...axl wouldn't be considered a has been in the general sense by the public and critics

if at least a new single isn't released on itunes before the vegas residency shows.....the critics will continue saying axl rose is washed up in the industry

if axl would release a new single on itunes and talk about the latest guns n roses masterpiece music video called better...if axl did things like this before the vegas residency shows...axl wouldn't be considered a has been in the general sense by the public and critics

You really think that would change the media's minds? I get your point and you may be right...

But the fact that the media just loves terrorizing everything tells me it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Axl would release a new single and the media and others would tear it apart.

Axl would do interviews and stuff promoting the vegas shows, they would call him names etc. again tear him apart.

I think Axl understands this, and has understood this since Appetite.

"It's so easy to be social

It's so easy to be cool

Yeah it's easy to be hungry

When you ain't got sh*t to lose"

Edited by GNRFan53

You really think that would change the media's minds? I get your point and you may be right...

But the fact that the media just loves terrorizing everything tells me it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Axl would do interviews and stuff promoting the vegas shows, they would call him names etc. again tear him apart.

It's so easy to be cool

releasing a fresh single on itunes before vegas residency shows would change minds. because rhianna just released a new song about diamonds. rollingstone.com previewed the song and the music public loves it. minds have been changed about rhianna. the same minds can be changed about axl rose too. if axl releases a new single before vegas residency

It's so easy to be cool

releasing a fresh single on itunes before vegas residency shows would change minds. because rhianna just released a new song about diamonds. rollingstone.com previewed the song and the music public loves it. minds have been changed about rhianna. the same minds can be changed about axl rose too. if axl releases a new single before vegas residency

Again maybe you are right... It would be nice to get a single too :)

It's so easy to be cool

Checked on Diamonds on YouTube today. It's ok, not full on Rhianna pop'ness..

and continues to play it safe through the ridiculous emphasis he still relies for the old material to put asses in the seats.

Relying on classic Guns N' Roses songs when playing Guns N' Roses concerts to an audience who mainly want to hear the classic material -- while still playing 5-8 songs from the most recent album! -- is not a "ridiculous emphasis on old material", it is giving the audience what they want while still showcasing the new songs and overall giving a kick-ass show few in the industry can match. I am sorry this is beyond you, but, to be honest, I think you are aware of this and just post crap to rile up people. Sad, really.

Saying that "axl's (sic) goal was to take a revenge on slash by proving that he could build a new guns n'roses" is pure conjecture. I believe that in Axl's mind there was a GN'R before Slash and he sees GN'R existing without him. Axl formed GN'R with Tracii and Izzy, they bailed, and it's Axl's band. He can tour and record with whomever he wants.

He took his sweet time releasing an album that he wanted to make and even four years later he stands by it by playing several of the songs live. He has a killer band, a strong legacy and a fanbase that still wants to see him live. I don't see that as "failing miserably."

If you don't like Chinese Democracy, that's fine. People are entitled to their opinion. But to say that he is a failure because he isn't living up to your standards really isn't fair. No wonder Axl doesn't like to come here, he has the worst "fans" in the world.

Brilliant, just brilliant. Thank you.

I never really respected Axl much at the beginning of his career, but the way he stubbornly refuses to cave in to what others want but instead insists on playing the game his way, is pretty admirable. He does what he wants, regardless of what others think and the amount of flak he receives as a result, and that requires quite a lot of integrity which I must respect.

Oh, Soulmonster, I just love how you take just fragments of what I said, a small piece to a bigger puzzle, and ignore the rest of the points raised.

It's fact that people are going to the shows because Axl keeps playing it safe and milks the cow dry. By now, there should be more of a delicate balance between nu material and old stuff. Give or take 50/50. Otherwise, you can't blame people for calling it a glorified karaoke outfit. Regardless of WHY that has't happened, it's beyond ridiculous Axl still puts THAT much emphasis on yesteryear all these years later, and I would love to see what would happen to attendance if he followed VR's and Slash's lead, and kept his heyday GNR stuff to a minimal and let his current outfit try and stand on their own two feet.

Nothing beyond me. Just, as usual, calling a spade, a spade.

hey guy, just dropping by to let you know the following....

1. OH yeah he's playing it safe omg..... He is 50 years old and plays 3 HOUR SHOWS

2. HE PLAYS 7 SONGS (IF NOT MORE) FROM CHINESE DEMOCRACY AT THESE SHOWS. (which is a normal setlist for most bands today) HAHAH

3. Only you and your buddy, mr. cupcakes, say this karaoke thing. Well and the media, you know the ones who want to know WHO MARRIED WHO!?!?!

1. With all the oxygen breaks and solo spots, it's really only an hour and a half-2 hrs, not 3, which is common for most acts. His voice has sucked since 2011, and hasn't gotten better. An attribute to what's defined as a has been.

2. He plays 7 songs tops. Mostly 5-6. And by this point, with all the time, effort, and money spent on nu guns, Axl should have more of a delicate balance with the set list by now, and regardless of why he doesn't is irrelevant to the point that it's flat out ridiculous. Of course he's not gonna stop playing CD altogether, because that would admit to the public that he is a failure, but if he did, most of the audience wouldn't bat an eye. And even when you put CD in the mix, they still come off more as a cover band. Fortus, Bumble, and Frank came in when the songs on CD were pretty established, and their contributions are pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. Ashba's are nonexistent, and except for when Shackler's Revenge is occasionally played, Bumble and Ashba go entire shows playing lead guitar to "GNR" songs they had absolutely nothing to do with. A pretty sad sight.

3. Most of the general public is under the impression he's just an nostalgic act now. Most go to see Axl sing the hits. Not because of what he's done post '96. That's fact. And like his voice, even that will eventually wear thin.

Edited by Bobbo

and continues to play it safe through the ridiculous emphasis he still relies for the old material to put asses in the seats.

Relying on classic Guns N' Roses songs when playing Guns N' Roses concerts to an audience who mainly want to hear the classic material -- while still playing 5-8 songs from the most recent album! -- is not a "ridiculous emphasis on old material", it is giving the audience what they want while still showcasing the new songs and overall giving a kick-ass show few in the industry can match. I am sorry this is beyond you, but, to be honest, I think you are aware of this and just post crap to rile up people. Sad, really.

Saying that "axl's (sic) goal was to take a revenge on slash by proving that he could build a new guns n'roses" is pure conjecture. I believe that in Axl's mind there was a GN'R before Slash and he sees GN'R existing without him. Axl formed GN'R with Tracii and Izzy, they bailed, and it's Axl's band. He can tour and record with whomever he wants.

He took his sweet time releasing an album that he wanted to make and even four years later he stands by it by playing several of the songs live. He has a killer band, a strong legacy and a fanbase that still wants to see him live. I don't see that as "failing miserably."

If you don't like Chinese Democracy, that's fine. People are entitled to their opinion. But to say that he is a failure because he isn't living up to your standards really isn't fair. No wonder Axl doesn't like to come here, he has the worst "fans" in the world.

I never really respected Axl much at the beginning of his career, but the way he stubbornly refuses to cave in to what others want but instead insists on playing the game his way, is pretty admirable. He does what he wants, regardless of what others think and the amount of flak he receives as a result, and that requires quite a lot of integrity which I must respect.

Oh, Soulmonster, I just love how you take just fragments of what I said, a small piece to a bigger puzzle, and ignore the rest of the points raised.

It's fact that people are going to the shows because Axl keeps playing it safe and milks the cow dry. By now, there should be more of a delicate balance between nu material and old stuff. Give or take 50/50. Otherwise, you can't blame people for calling it a glorified karaoke outfit. Regardless of WHY that has't happened, it's beyond ridiculous Axl still puts THAT much emphasis on yesteryear all these years later, and I would love to see what would happen to attendance if he followed VR's and Slash's lead, and kept his heyday GNR stuff to a minimal and let his current outfit try and stand on their own two feet.

1. OH yeah he's playing it safe omg..... He is 50 years old and plays 3 HOUR SHOWS

2. HE PLAYS 7 SONGS (IF NOT MORE) FROM CHINESE DEMOCRACY AT THESE SHOWS. (which is a normal setlist for most bands today) HAHAH

3. Only you and your buddy, mr. cupcakes, say this karaoke thing. Well and the media, you know the ones who want to know WHO MARRIED WHO!?!?!

1. With all the oxygen breaks and solo spots, it's really only an hour and a half-2 hrs, not 3, which is common for most acts. His voice has sucked since 2011, and hasn't gotten better. An attribute to what's defined as a has been.

2. He plays 7 songs tops. Mostly 5-6. And by this point, with all the time, effort, and money spent on nu guns, Axl should have more of a delicate balance with the set list by now, and regardless of why he doesn't is irrelevant to the point that it's flat out ridiculous. Of course he's not gonna stop playing CD altogether, because that would admit to the public that he is a failure, but if he did, most of the audience wouldn't bat an eye. And even when you put CD in the mix, they still come off more as a cover band. Fortus, Bumble, and Frank came in when the songs on CD were pretty established, and their contributions are pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. Ashba's are nonexistent, and except for when Shackler's Revenge is occasionally played, Bumble and Ashba go entire shows playing lead guitar to "GNR" songs they had absolutely nothing to do with. A pretty sad sight.

3. Most of the general public is under the impression he's just an nostalgic act now. Most go to see Axl sing the hits. Not because of what he's done post '96. That's fact. And like his voice, even that will eventually wear thin.

:thumbsup:

It's unfortunate too. I would love for Axl to have the same drive and ambition to move on from old GN'R like he seemed to have in 2001-2006. We were supposed to have 3 albums by now. Axl said in 2006 they were "working on a song for the third album," we still haven't got the second one yet.

Ever since the Rock In Rio 2011, Axl has seemed to be comfortable being a nostalgia act and playing songs from the old band. Now, his voice has deteriorated, his seems to hide behind all the jackets and hats he wear's on stage, and it doesn't seem like we're going to have new music in the near future. If there's no new music before, or during, the upcoming tour, the "there will be new album in 2012" was false.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

It's so easy to be cool

If Axl was the same guy he was in 1986-1994, if he was releasing music on a timely basis and touring and promoting that music there wouldn't be much to make fun of him. The fact that he only released on album in 20 years isn't exactly positive news. Axl just has to get himself out there again, out in the media, in the spotlight. That's why I liked the TMS interview, because many people saw Axl as a human being, not a psycho/recluse. If he did more stuff like that the perception of him could change. Hiding away in some mansion not rehearsing, not doing interview's, and eating out isn't going to help his media perception. Add to that the fact his voice has deteriorated and he hasn't put out new music since Chinese Democracy when I'm pretty sure he has 3 albums worth of material he could release.

I understand there's thing weird opinion that Axl not doing interviews and not being in the spotlight means he has "integrity," but that doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. Axl use to be a normal artist, a person who seemed to want people to listen and enjoy his craft, his music. Now, he seems confident playing music from 1987 and having his band cover the old band material instead of having them have their own music to play.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

1. Count the number of actual songs in a setlist... 26 SONGS... of HIM SINGING. Yeah he may run off stage for a couple of seconds for the guitar solos etc. Oh well, when he aint singing his butt off, he can do what he wants. I don't see you on stage doing what he does do I?

2. 7 songs of Chinese Democracy, a normal rockband plays probably 14 songs total. Which means 7 ChiDem is a pretty good number for one show. OF COURSE he is going to play some of the huge songs, because people want to hear AXL sing HIS songs. HIS voice. Even us as fans, well not you, always stirring crap up. Axl has some awesome players in the band and WHEN the next album comes out, with the contribution of the whole band, maybe you can go into quiet, but you won't, you'll have another thing to stir up. I'm sure you have accounts on the KISS fan forums too. HAHA

3. Don't speak for the 'general public', speak for maybe the MEDIA, because you hear what they say, and who cares what they think? All they are concerned about is Kim Kardash.

and FINALLY, all the stuff you post brings me to this question... Why are you even here if you have THAT many frustrations with the band? I have never seen you post anything positive.

If Axl was the same guy he was in 1986-1994, if he was releasing music on a timely basis and touring and promoting that music there wouldn't be much to make fun of him. The fact that he only released on album in 20 years isn't exactly positive news. Axl just has to get himself out there again, out in the media, in the spotlight. That's why I liked the TMS interview, because many people saw Axl as a human being, not a psycho/recluse. If he did more stuff like that the perception of him could change. Hiding away in some mansion not rehearsing, not doing interview's, and eating out isn't going to help his media perception. Add to that the fact his voice has deteriorated and he hasn't put out new music since Chinese Democracy when I'm pretty sure he has 3 albums worth of material he could release.

I understand there's thing weird opinion that Axl not doing interviews and not being in the spotlight means he has "integrity," but that doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. Axl use to be a normal artist, a person who seemed to want people to listen and enjoy his craft, his music. Now, he seems confident playing music from 1987 and having his band cover the old band material instead of having them have their own music to play.

Ok, atleast you have a good sense of criticism. Like I said, who cares what the media thinks? and even if Axl was more into the media aspect, people would still trash every little 'mistake' he makes. Looking the wrong way, sounding the wrong way, doing the wrong thing, doing the right thing. There is always something wrong with what he does... We all know the original lineup wouldn't be the same as it used to be if something did spark up. It's like divorcing a wife on a bitter aspect. Axl started GN'R so he should be able to continue it. In my eyes, atleast he is continuing it with some good musicians instead of doing nothing at all. He handles all the negativity very well, better than some people did in that limelight. :\

Edited by GNRFan53

It's so easy to be cool

well. it's a game changing song for rhianna. shows her in a new light. shows she can do more than techno beats and stuff. that she can change minds and do cool pop songs for a female artist like alicia keys and britney spears. axl can do the same thing. axl can change the same minds. releasing a new song. a new song like: soulmonster. the general. or blood in the water. if axl did it and did it before vegas residency shows...axl would be supported in general and everybody would be watching and streaming vegas residency shows for everybody

It's so easy to be cool

well. it's a game changing song for rhianna. shows her in a new light. shows she can do more than techno beats and stuff. that she can change minds and do cool pop songs for a female artist like alicia keys and britney spears. axl can do the same thing. axl can change the same minds. releasing a new song. a new song like: soulmonster. the general. or blood in the water. if axl did it and did it before vegas residency shows...axl would be supported in general and everybody would be watching and streaming vegas residency shows for everybody

I promise you, it wouldn't please everyone.... there are tons of people here that could still moan about his wrongdoings.