will axl pick a more interesting album cover for chinese democracy II?

HisRoyalSweetness

as amazing as the whole chinese democracy experience was, i can't help feeling the album cover was a little bit of a missed opportunity. i mean, don't get me wrong... the bike was awesome. but i do sorta feel like it could have been slightly more awesome, or at least more representative of the album as a whole.

do you think axl will pick a more exciting cover for the next volume in the chinese democracy saga? like maybe a pole? or a fork? or maybe a an old hub cap?

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

no don't get me wrong... i love the bike! and i can totally appreciate the poetry of it being a picture from china on an album called "chinese democracy." that's rich and beautiful and deep.

but he's going to need another album cover for the next volume. unless you're thinking he may go super bold and release all four volumes with the same bike album cover. or maybe multiple angles of the same bike?

i guess it would be somewhat risky to break with the bike imagery now, after so many have come to associate it with chinese democracy. just the other day, i was out for a ride and somebody said, "hey man, nice chinese democracy machine!" so yeah, i could see the temptation not to mess with the recipe for success. he could run the risk of a re-branding nightmare ala new coke if he tries too hard to tamper with the gnr formula we all know and love.

but who knows... maybe a new album cover could draw even more new fans to the band. i have plenty of friends who don't like bikes but are way into walking sticks. that's just an example, but you get what i mean. maybe he could attract new fans of different inanimate objects? it's a gamble... but life always is!

guys, please try not to make a joke out of this thread. obviously, axl's not going to pick a midget jumping on a trampoline. he's clearly trying to pick album cover imagery that's subtle and minimalist in order to provide some sense of balance for the overstuffed sonic nightmare on the cd itself.

midgets jumping on a trampoline IS NOT subtle or minimal.

i was thinking maybe a can opener? photographed in china, naturally, so it makes logical sense.

guys, please try not to make a joke out of this thread. obviously, axl's not going to pick a midget jumping on a trampoline. he's clearly trying to pick album cover imagery that's subtle and minimalist in order to provide some sense of balance for the overstuffed sonic nightmare on the cd itself.

midgets jumping on a trampoline IS NOT subtle or minimal.

i was thinking maybe a can opener? photographed in china, naturally, so it makes logical sense.

That may be true, but you would think that Axl would want to go a little more "in your face" with this album. He needs something that will grab people's attention when they see it on store shelves. Nothing grabs attention like midgets on trampolines.

yeah, but it wouldn't make logical sense. maybe if they were chinese midgets jumping on a chinese trampoline, photographed in china. but that still strikes me as a crass, tasteless and transparent grab for attention.

the bike was a tad bit boring, but still dignified and enigmatic. i really think he should try to strike that same balance, just for the sake of artistic continuity between albums.

i got it!!!!! how about a desk chair?

i mean, don't get me wrong... the bike was awesome. but i do sorta feel like it could have been slightly more awesome, or at least more representative of the album as a whole.

You're such a deep thinker, why don't you give us a few examples of covers that would have been "more representative of the album as whole" so we can bask in the glory of your intelligence?

i mean, don't get me wrong... the bike was awesome. but i do sorta feel like it could have been slightly more awesome, or at least more representative of the album as a whole.

You're such a deep thinker, why don't you give us a few examples of covers that would have been "more representative of the album as whole" so we can bask in the glory of your intelligence?

that's tough because i'm not a graphic designer but here are a few quick ideas just off the top of my head...

a decaying elephant carcass

twelve pounds of lumpy diarrhea

a portrait of fat axl alone in his underwear, crying "white hot tears" over his desire to see slash stay popular and relevant.

I don't mind the CD album cover but it is nowhere near my fav. It reminds me of the Zeppelin 4 album cover, the old dude with the sticks. That cover also is just average imo. Which when I compare the Zeppelin 4 cover with zeppelin I- In through the out door, Zeppelin 4 is clearly the worst. Which is funny since it is considered their best album (not my fav) but you get what I mean. When I think of gnr's albums, only appetite is the really good cover. Which is funny since it was the second choice, and honestly the cross is way better than the robot cover. But honestly other than Appetite all of guns album covers are pretty weak overall. I would say lies is probably second best. So if we ever get another album I hope they try a little harder, because for a band of their status, weak album covers.

that strikes me as too literal and heavy handed. maybe if there was a gnr sticker on the garden hose? or on the brick wall behind it?

Maybe he could spin it all on its head and use a picture of a wok or some chopsticks next to the Statue of liberty. So it's like China but in America (where he's from). That would blow people's minds.

Edited by spunko12345