What other Neil Young songs would you like Axl to cover?

Randy Lahey

The NY fan inside me would love Axl to try something a bit different like Ordinary People or sonething off of Trans (Pitman would be all over that), but I mean something like Southern Man or Words would also be cool :) I'm the Ocean would be pretty amazing too :)

You know your Neil Young. Trans and Mirrorball are both hugely overlooked and vastly underrated albums. I'm the Ocean ranks as one of my favorite songs of all time. Downtown was actually the song that got me into Neil. I was already a big PJ fan and when I heard it on the radio I was like damn, who's this old dude? It started a lifelong obsession with all things Neil that continues to this day.

I've always thought that Axl and Neil share some of the same qualities- they both do things on their terms, regardless of the fallout. I think they're both honest and authentic as artists, but they definitely approach their work very differently. Neil gets his stuff out quickly without much refining. The entire Mirrorball album was allegedly recorded in 1 week- and thats with a band of guys that he'd never worked with before.

The NY fan inside me would love Axl to try something a bit different like Ordinary People or sonething off of Trans (Pitman would be all over that), but I mean something like Southern Man or Words would also be cool :) I'm the Ocean would be pretty amazing too :)

You know your Neil Young. Trans and Mirrorball are both hugely overlooked and vastly underrated albums. I'm the Ocean ranks as one of my favorite songs of all time. Downtown was actually the song that got me into Neil. I was already a big PJ fan and when I heard it on the radio I was like damn, who's this old dude? It started a lifelong obsession with all things Neil that continues to this day.

I've always thought that Axl and Neil share some of the same qualities- they both do things on their terms, regardless of the fallout. I think they're both honest and authentic as artists, but they definitely approach their work very differently. Neil gets his stuff out quickly without much refining. The entire Mirrorball album was allegedly recorded in 1 week- and thats with a band of guys that he'd never worked with before.

I think Neil enjoys having it where he can rotate bands, i think at some point he and Pearl Jam will do something again. esp. when Mirror Ball is almost 20 years old.

Albums shouldn't take more than a month if you already have most of the songs fleshed out. It probably took him a long time to put Greendale together because it had a lot of pieces to it.

I think Neil enjoys having it where he can rotate bands, i think at some point he and Pearl Jam will do something again. esp. when Mirror Ball is almost 20 years old.

Albums shouldn't take more than a month if you already have most of the songs fleshed out. It probably took him a long time to put Greendale together because it had a lot of pieces to it.

Actually Greendale (which is another one of my favorite records) didn't take long to write and record at all. He actually wrote and recorded about a song a day over the course of about 2 weeks. Aside from the backing vocals and the whistling sound on Sun Green (which he generated using feedback from a megaphone) the songs are all live takes. I have the deluxe album edition (and the comic novel, film, and unplugged solo performance of the record) which comes with the complete video footage of the studio takes as well as interviews with the band.

The film may have taken considerably longer, but the album itself is one of the quickest he's ever written and recorded- which is saying something for him.

Greendale and Chinese Democracy are probably my two favorite records of the 2000's- polar opposites in recording and production, but both artistically honest and valid.

Edited by Mr. Dude

"Old Man" with Slash and Izzy on acoustic guitars but it would have to have been back in the 80's or 90's when Axl still had his rasp............don't think he could do the song justice now.....

Actually I think Old Man would suit Axl's current cleaner falsetto voice better. I don't really see that as a song that would be better served with a raspier voice.

You could say the same thing for him singing "Free Falling" yet his rasp worked brilliantly at points in that song..............I would want to hear Axl sing "Old Man" in his prime not now where he is struggling as I think his rasp would sound brilliant at points in that song....I can hear it in my head as I type this..............

They covered it. Plant sang it. Check the link, watch the video.

He covered what song and what link?

Looks like the link is for When the Levee Breaks. They very well may have covered it. I just thought it an odd choice to play for Neil's induction considering that it was a Buffalo Springfield song that Stephen Stills wrote and because the Springfield weren't inducted for a few more years (which Neil didn't show up for btw). Still, maybe they did and it slipped my mind.

Edit- I stand corrected. I watched it and now I remember them playing it. I think I remember reading that it was upon Page's request that they played it.

"Old Man" with Slash and Izzy on acoustic guitars but it would have to have been back in the 80's or 90's when Axl still had his rasp............don't think he could do the song justice now.....

Actually I think Old Man would suit Axl's current cleaner falsetto voice better. I don't really see that as a song that would be better served with a raspier voice.

You could say the same thing for him singing "Free Falling" yet his rasp worked brilliantly at points in that song..............I would want to hear Axl sing "Old Man" in his prime not now where he is struggling as I think his rasp would sound brilliant at points in that song....I can hear it in my head as I type this..............

He covered what song and what link?

I feel ya. I don't think its a song that he would struggle with nowadays though. I think its a song that would fit his current vocal style (and condition). Its not too taxing and Neil himself sang it in a falsetto-like voice (back then anyway). I think Axl can still sing, I just think that its hard to do some of the older stuff. His voice has changed and I think stuff like the Seeker, Don't Let it Bring You Down, and (potentially) Old Man would serve his accentuate his current voice.

Yeah but I don't want Axl to sing the whole song in falsetto as I think there are parts where his rasp would sound amazing and I don't know he is up to that task these days..............same with "Free Falling" it was great because Axl did not sing it like Tom Petty........ :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

Well what I meant was, Axl should cover it in the style of John Entwhistle.

Billy Corgan's just a little too emo smug self-important faux-wannabe-avante-garde-faker. Whereas on the other hand: John Entwhistle is cool.

ucwatimean?

Yes, and I just meant that Corgan covered it not that this or that version was any better or worse than any other.

unowatimean?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with Neil Young material so if someone wants to share some of his greatest songs or whatever, that would be cool.

where do you begin?!

Pretty much impossible to do but the classics are a good place to start and then work your way from there

check out; Old Man, Heart of Gold, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Rockin in the Free World, Like a Hurricane, Hey Hey My My, Cinnamon Girl to start.

best stuff for me is on his On the Beach album (1975), got incredible tracks like Walk On, Ambulance Blues, Revolution Blues (probably my favorite song), Motion Pictures to name a few.

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

so many great songs, young is my favorite artist

probably Fucking Up (from Ragged Glory) or Danger Bird (Zuma)

My favorite artist too- there's no else who comes close

Since I've been such a fanatic since I was a kid I tend to lean more toward the obscure at this stage, but really I love just about everything he's ever done. Whether he's working with CrazyHorse, The Blue Notes, CSNY, Pearl Jam, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, or Ben Keith he always puts his own uniquely personal stamp on it. I love it all from the straight country to the folksy acoustic to the electronica to the lumbering hard rock.

• 2 months later...

I do indeed. Huge fan of everything hes done! I agree that they're overlooked albums, especially trans. The melodies are incredible!

At this point, I really hope Axl is finished doing covers.

With one album released over the past 23 years, I really hope that Axl is only concentrating on releasing/playing new material.

Covers have always played a big part on Gn'R material…. Mama Kin, LALD, KOHD, Sympathy for the Devil, just to name a few.

Nothing wrong with that imo, I'd love to see a few more covers from Axl's band, like Sailing.