Is CD a nostalgic record?

wasted

When I listen to songs like Catcher or TWAT it makes me think of the late 90s. It's all very sepia tinged. It's like when you listen to a Stones record now I think of them in the 70s. When I listen to CD I think of the 90s. CD is as retro as AFD and UYI was just for a different decade.

AFD though sounded very now like My Michelle or SCOM were about people in their lives. Whereas CD seems to be about people you used to know. AFD was now. UYI predicted the future. CD is looking back at those two records.

Edited by wasted

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

No, it's just a really mediocre album. It's overproduced, has shitty vocals, no good guitars on most songs and is just generally crap. A few good songs, but mostly awful.

I never really cared for lyrics, but I find it amusing that people always say that the lyrics for this album are so great on this forum, because to me self pitying, self victimizing lyrics aren't great, they're just pathetic.

Each to their own, I suppose. :shrugs:

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Music historians who have reviewed CD say it's brilliance is in how it was able to fuse just about every genre of modern music starting with the Beatles era to now.

In otherwords, if you wanted just one record that could give you a sense of what music has been like in the last century, CD would be that record.

Of course, for those still stuck in the late 1980s and only want 1980s hard-rock ... they will be obviously disappointed.

Music historians who have reviewed CD say it's brilliance is in how it was able to fuse just about every genre of modern music starting with the Beatles era to now.

In otherwords, if you wanted just one record that could give you a sense of what music has been like in the last century, CD would be that record.

Of course, for those still stuck in the late 1980s and only want 1980s hard-rock ... they will be obviously disappointed.

I'm gonna call shenanigans on that one

I'll call ... but I'll give you a chance to retract or re-affirm your hand ...

it just brings back all the memories of when those first leaks happend, and downloading them and hearing new songs from gnr, it was a really weird time with lots of great memories mixed with memories of frustration :lol:

Still got shenanigans on this.

No, it's just a really mediocre album. It's overproduced, has shitty vocals, no good guitars on most songs and is just generally crap. A few good songs, but mostly awful.

I never really cared for lyrics, but I find it amusing that people always say that the lyrics for this album are so great on this forum, because to me self pitying, self victimizing lyrics aren't great, they're just pathetic.

Each to their own, I suppose. :shrugs:

Na, it's you and your inability to understand music in general.

Edited by Russel Nash

AFD was now. UYI predicted the future. CD is looking back at those two records.

Awesome. I never looked at it that way. Thank you for making me think, wasted. And I'm serious, not trying to be an ass. That view point mostly works with how I view those records... I kind of disagree with CD 'looking back' on those records, but still a good analogy for the overall tone of the records.

It's Axl doing grunge, industrial and nu metal.

Couldn't disagree more.

I find it amusing that people always say that the lyrics for this album are so great on this forum, because to me self pitying, self victimizing lyrics aren't great, they're just pathetic.

Kinda like your view on politics eh?

Its like the last cd album that matters. And it sums up the whole of rock history.

Its like all the bitter fall out from the biggest party the world has ever seen. Now its time to cut those credit cards and look for a loophole.

I think for some people music is like a disease or addiction. It makes them feel good so they want more.

But artists are addicted to doing something new. To reinvent their soul is a neccesity.

YOu know what wasted... You made me want to do a you tube video.

You should cover TIL.

Still got shenanigans on this.

I think she is being sarcastic.

The majority of it was made, 1998-2002, and it reflects that. What were the trends then? Numetal (shackler's), Coldplay (Prostitute), NIN (Rhiad)? It reflects the the late-90s rock scene. In 2008, when it was actually released, rock music had reigned itself in.

Wow. Totally, totally agree. Have always thought TWAT, Maddy, Rhiad and Prostitute had a mid 90s feel. I could totally hear Prostitute on VH1's Pop-Up Video show.

A lot of the other tracks though I think are just outright timeless. TIL especially.

Never get a "nu-metal" vibe from Shacker's. It just sounds like a really hooky version of something cool Buckethead had an influence on.

To me I think CD its like a child born from a raping.

Not what Axl wanted to, label didnt let him do.

Label never wanted it to happen.

Written n recorded by people not in the band at the

Releasing time.

All the good it could have been and never was.

Best word itd be frustrated.

A true and respected vision of Axl in 2001 it could

Have been a total blast

Oh My God-Silkworms-Chinese Democracy

Better - Madagascar - TWAT - Prostitute

Catcher - The Blues - Riad- This I Love

Sorry - If The World

That with Bucket n Robin would have make

A remarkable Album.

Shame.

Edited by rosesforcure

Chinese is Axl without the Guns. He (Axl) tried hard, very hard, and as hard as he tried, and as much money and time as he threw at it, he failed to produce a single hit. The one thing the album has, is novelty value, the novelty being the over produced detail, the work of someone (AXl) so focused on the detail they somehow failed to see the bigger picture. The vocals are unbelievably inconsistent. There's no denying the talents of all involved, just too bad it was mixed together the way it is.

Chinese is Axl without the Guns. He (Axl) tried hard, very hard, and as hard as he tried, and as much money and time as he threw at it, he failed to produce a single hit. The one thing the album has, is novelty value, the novelty being the over produced detail, the work of someone (AXl) so focused on the detail they somehow failed to see the bigger picture. The vocals are unbelievably inconsistent. There's no denying the talents of all involved, just too bad it was mixed together the way it is.

Axl was and is Guns so Chinese is a Guns N`Roses album and could n`t give two shits about hits it`s a daunting masterpiece

Correction, Axl was 1/5 of Guns N' Roses.

Axl was and is biggest contributor of the band now please don`t go on your usual tirades I`m not downplaying others` importance and contributiuons but Axl is a founder, vocalist, primary songwriter and a leader