18/12/2012 - Tokyo, Japan @Zepp Tokyo

Silent Jay

It affects him a little bit, I reckon. I think confidence plays a massive part too.

But personally i think his voice CAN be impressive if he puts more effort into it. Numerous parts in each show: see Welcome to the Jungle & Chinese Democracy for example, it's epic. And parts of other songs like when he does attempt the raspy part in Dont Cry & Patience.

I don't know why. Trouble with consistency? You know, i'm not surprised to be honest, if his voice is shot. The dude is 50, performs (with THAT voice) for 3 hours, so many shows since 2009. And maybe gained a little weight. Will be interesting to see what he's like after a long break. After all, look how much he improved from 02->06, and then in 09 & 10.

Also, i kinda believe he is holding back a bit. To me, it just doesn't seem like he is putting in the effort most of the time. If you watch shows from 09 and 10, he's much more like himself; running around, spinning, throwing mic stand, his typical dance moves, and looking really angry and aggressive. Now he just strolls around a bit, singing at a comfortable level. Pretty sure he said that on the Kimmel show too, that he doesn't think it's the sensible thing for him to do anymore or something like that.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just posted this on gnfnr and i figured i'l post here as well....

took me a while but I'm finally home after the show.

It was probably the best concert experience of my life. It was the show I'd dreamed of seeing for 20 years. At so many points during the concert I kept wondering to myself if it was REALLY happening....it was just surreal!

Things got off to a late start due to a problem with the soundboard, but around 8PM they finally let everyone inside and the lights went out. Japan has spoiled me for shows; it's just too easy to push to the front here. I'll never be able to enjoy a concert back home again. I just shoved my way front and center, just a few people between me and the barrier. I was within 10 feet of Axl the entire night.

I've seen Guns before, but from the nosebleeds of a giant arena. Being able to see them this close was mind-blowing. I could see everything: the sweat flying off their faces, the glances and nods at each other during songs. Axl was in a GREAT mood...he was smiling and gesturing the entire night.

The crowd was insane. Just jumping and fist pumping and singing along in shitty English the entire time. There wasn't a hint of aggression between anyone in the audience. Everyone was just beaming and having the time of their life. Me too....couldn't get the shit-eating grin off my face! I just was in awe....I simply couldn't believe it was really happening!

The stage was tiny. No room for Axl or any of them to run. No pyro, no video screens, no ramps. Just a bare stage with lights.

No surprises in the setlist, but that's fine. I do think it was cut short because of the late start, what with the trains and all. If I could change one thing, I'd have swapped Maddy for TWAT, but what we got was more than enough.

CD and Jungle were pretty much as expected but It's So Easy really came outta nowhere with its intensity. And then Brownstone. And then the moment I was waiting for....Estranged.

I knew I was gonna get emotional finally witnessing this song live, but man, I was not prepared. The first half of the song was great...I was loving it....but when it shifted, and Axl sang "When I find out all the reasons..." I fucking LOST IT. I mean, crying and snivelving like a kid whose first puppy died. Not just tearing up, I was full on CRYING with tears and snot running down my face for the entire second half of the song. Couldn't help it....it just happened. That's never happened to me before. Weird huh?

Catcher was AWESOME. The Blues was great. I dug the hell out of The Seeker. The Brick in the Wall jam was sick. Loved it.

You know what else was cool? Seeing the guitarists close up! I could actually tell them apart this time! Nobody told me Richard was so damn adorable when he plays! He was seriously CUTE...no other way to put it...the way he smiles and makes faces while he plays...just like an adorable 5 year old that just picked up the guitar. I thought that was funny.

KOHD dragged a bit for me. But by that point I was pretty exhausted...covered in at least 20 other dudes' sweat. Ugh. Crowd went apeshit for Whole Lotta Rosie. And the biggest reaction was actually YCBM....the crowd was at it's fever pitch during that song. Go figure.

I was sad to hear the jam before PC cause I knew it was all over, but at the same time, I was exhausted and ready to rest. Of course, the last train was gone so I was stranded in the outskirts of Tokyo til morning. A bunch of people waited at the back for Axl to show, but he just got into the van and drove off at like 1AM. I went to an all-night karaoke with a ridiculously cute Japanese girl I met after the show. Hot as hell, but weird. We sang GNR tunes til 6AM and she kicked ass....had a ton of rasp in her voice.

I took the train back and went to work like a zombie....practically fell asleep several times and my voice was totally shot.

I bought a t-shirt cause it had a unique Japanese looking design....probably too small for me but it's an awesome souvenir. Expensive too. I'll post a pic later.

OK....I've been awake a loooong time now. That's all I can think of or remember right now.

Fantastic review and it's awesome to see that you got your wish fulfilled!!! They sang WLR - i'm so jealous.

20121218001_zps793dc471.jpg

Boarding the train at Shinjuku Station bound for Tokyo Teleport station in Odaiba

20121218004_zpsd798b820.jpg

Walking from Tokyo Teleport station to Zepp Tokyo located beneath the Sky Wheel in Palette Town

20121218007_zps071ddad5.jpg

Approaching the Sky Wheel

20121218008_zps3199b16c.jpg

The Sky Wheel on a chilly December 18th 2012

20121218009_zps2a8fac64.jpg

20121218010_zpsd1125d0d.jpg

20121218013_zps95fe5b50.jpg

Approaching an entrance to Palette Town

20121218012_zps9b044d7a.jpg

Approaching an entrance to Palette Town

20121218017_zpse047c421.jpg

Entering Palette Town enroute to Zepp Tokyo

20121218018_zps94f0ee6e.jpg

Walking thru Palette Town enroute to Zepp Tokyo

All photos credit/courtesy of Steve A. Jones

Edited by SteveAJones

20121218014_zps374f1bb1.jpg

Christmas Tree Illuminations in Palette Town enroute to Zepp Tokyo

20121218019_zpsb769a877.jpg

Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm draws near

20121218022_zps11402676.jpg

Main entrance to Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm draws near

20121218020_zps971eed70.jpg

Main entrance to Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm draws near

20121218023_zps09ae5c2c.jpg

The line has now formed behind Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm comes and goes

20121218025_zps11890029.jpg

The line has now formed behind Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm comes and goes

20121218029_zpse3c5a968.jpg

Official merchandise sales tent in front of Zepp Tokyo

20121218030_zps992c7977.jpg

Official merchandise sales tent in front of Zepp Tokyo

20121218028_zpse19f5a8b.jpg

The outer right side of official merchandise sales tent in front of Zepp Tokyo

All photos credit/courtesy of Steve A. Jones

Edited by SteveAJones

Anyone saved that WTTJ video? Cant watch it!

I searched Youtube and found this (and others, as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfZW_8RpXQ

@ 1:43 when he rubs his belly i loled.

It's not that Axl is trying to rub his belly, I think its supposed to be his hand on the back of a chicks head going down on him, its just that his belly has pertruded to the point where the gesture begins and his belly ends lol.

I meant to say I can't believe this band will go all the way to tokyo to play for a couple thousand people. to me that seems crazy

Edited by jimb0

Nice pics Steve!!

There were way more designs of t-shirts though...did you snap that pic when they were still setting up? Or maybe they sold out of stuff that fast! I bought the one in your pic with the samurai/skull cause I liked that it was a Japan-centric design and not just the vegas stuff with a different date slapped on it.

I know I saw a lot of Japanese fans taking pics of the full merch set-up....maybe there are some pics on Japanese fans' blogs. I wasn't thinking....didn't take one!

I've been in this country too long though....the habit of buying dumb over-priced merch at every show rubbed off on me! I bought a shirt, the towel and even the rubber wrist band cause it was only 500 yen! Sheesh.

Nice pics Steve!!

There were way more designs of t-shirts though...did you snap that pic when they were still setting up? Or maybe they sold out of stuff that fast!

I photographed the merchandise tent at 6:43pm so it seems whatever was available was selling out fast. Unfortunately for me, I was on the hunt for a ticket at the time so I did not purchase anything and will now have to try to track everything down. I really wanted the shirt and scarf too.

I still hope to post my review here, as well as some of my best photos from the concert and the videoclips I recorded. It was an awesome night!

Edited by SteveAJones

Looks like some enterprising Japanese fan tapped into Axl's mic feed again, just like in 2009. There appear to be several boots floating around the net of the entire show, but at this point they are only being offered for sale by greedy assholes. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it spreads to fans for free, just like the epic 2009 show did. It took a few weeks for that one to start circulating as well.

So keep your eyes open for boots of this show!!

scroll down and listen to samples here:

http://www.junk-headz.com/guns-page.htm

Edited by estrangedtwat