18/12/2012 - Tokyo, Japan @Zepp Tokyo

Silent Jay

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs a metronome playing throughout the whole song to stay on-tempo.

Fucking sad.

lol I think it's for Frank and Dizzy as well. Nothing wrong with a metronome imo.

...why would the drummer need a fucking metronome in his ear at the same time he's drumming. That's retarded.

Axl needs to get less fat.

Here's GNR performing the same song in Tokyo in 2009 (also Axl's monitor feed):

Fucking sad.

lol I think it's for Frank and Dizzy as well. Nothing wrong with a metronome imo.

...why would the drummer need a fucking metronome in his ear at the same time he's drumming. That's retarded.

Do you even know what a metronome is for?

The drummer needs it the most, as it sets the tempo for him and the others can simply follow him. But in "This I Love" there is a lot of piano/vocal parts without drums - hence the metronome for Axl.

Fucking sad.

Do you even know what a metronome is for?

The drummer needs it the most, as it sets the tempo for him and the others can simply follow him. But in "This I Love" there is a lot of piano/vocal parts without drums - hence the metronome for Axl.

Why did Axl not need it in 2009

Frank always has a metronome playing in his ear, at least for Chinese Democracy songs. ALWAYS. Axl, though, as far as we know, never used to. This is the first time we've heard AXL using one.

Correct. Most artists who use IE-monitors are using a metronome (usually the drummer - as that sets the tempo for the others as well).

But in 'TIL' there are long parts without the drums, hence the metronome in Axls' IE-monitor.

Listen from 02:00. They mess up at about 02:08, which is why Frank starts accenting on the hi-hat (its frank messing up, because Axl rushed his singing a bit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1Tfay-zCA

Edited by Jeez

Frank always has a metronome playing in his ear, at least for Chinese Democracy songs. ALWAYS. Axl, though, as far as we know, never used to. This is the first time we've heard AXL using one.

Correct. Most artists who use IE-monitors are using a metronome (usually the drummer - as that sets the tempo for the others as well).

But in 'TIL' there are long parts without the drums, hence the metronome in Axls' IE-monitor.

Listen from 02:00. They mess up at about 02:08, which is why Frank starts accenting on the hi-hat (its frank messing up, because Axl rushed his singing a bit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1Tfay-zCA

I understand why he needs it, it's just interesting that didn't used to use it, and now he does

In a real band the drummer is the one to keep time. In New GNR they use a metronome. BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Well, the metronome plays in Frank's ear (and I assume Chris' ear) so he can keep the song at the same tempo until it's finished. This makes it easier for Chris to time his parts and keep them on tempo as well. This is generally what bands do when they add synth/computer-based sounds to their music.

Just think about it... The songs needs to be played in the same tempo every time to be in sync with for instance the animations on the big screens. In some songs they're also using a backing track which would be pretty much impossible if not using a metronome to keep the timing right. It also makes it possible to use pyro (imagine timing the firework in the beginning of CD or in Live and let die without a metronome)

Most big arena bands with IE-monitors are using a metronome.. Rolling Stones is an example. You're pretty retarded if you think using a metronome is some kind of cheating.

I wonder if Axl decided it himself or someone else went to him and was like "You're off rhythm a lot in This I Love... like every night man"

Haha honestly I can't imagine anyone in the crew would have the balls to say it. Hopefully Axl heard it himself. Or maybe they just added the metronome without saying anything :lol:

Edited by Jeez

In a real band the drummer is the one to keep time. In New GNR they use a metronome. BAHAHAHAHAHA.

TIL doesn't have a lot of drums so your post is just retarded. Maybe you should think a bit before trying to be funny...

Genius, he doesn't need to do a drum solo, he only needs to accent on the hi-hat to keep time. It's what real bands usually do.

TIL doesn't have a lot of drums so your post is just retarded. Maybe you should think a bit before trying to be funny...

Genius, he doesn't need to do a drum solo, he only needs to accent on the hi-hat to keep time. It's what real bands usually do.

Yea so you can either have Frank stepping on his hi-hat pedal through the whole song for everyone to hear, or you can just let Axl hear the metronome Frank is hearing in his monitor.

Try hard.

Yea so you can either have Frank stepping on his hi-hat pedal through the whole song for everyone to hear, or you can just let Axl hear the metronome Frank is hearing in his monitor.

Try hard.

It's not a major deal, but it says a lot. Axl has a drummer but would rather utilize a drum machine. It's things like this why an actual drummer is there in the first place. To count things in, to keep time, basically for everyone to work off. Axl would rather use a drum machine than Frank. Don't blame him to be honest...

Edited by Peter Shneck

It is a strange idea to steal an ear monitor sound, it is not meant to be broadcasted.

But, that TIL was so nice. I like the way Axl’s vocals are so easy to hear on top of the music and his voice is in such a good condition.

Dj’s solo is just getting smoother and better each year. Without the metronome sound, I would like to listen to this version when driving.

They use a metronome, so what?

It is a strange idea to steal an ear monitor sound, it is not meant to be broadcasted.

But, that TIL was so nice. I like the way Axl’s vocals are so easy to hear on top of the music and his voice is in such a good condition.

Dj’s solo is just getting smoother and better each year. Without the metronome sound, I would like to listen to this version when driving.

They use a metronome, so what?

cupcakes find things to bitch about, that's what...

Try hard.

It's not a major deal, but it says a lot. Axl has a drummer but would rather utilize a drum machine. It's things like this why an actual drummer is there in the first place. To count things in, to keep time, basically for everyone to work off. Axl would rather use a drum machine than Frank. Don't blame him to be honest...

You don't get it do you? Go listen to the record, there's no drums at all until 3 minutes into the song. Having Frank doing the hi-hat throughout the song live would sort of "ruin" the song, which is only piano, strings and Axl singing.

It's got nothing to do with Axl "choosing" it over Frank. Frank has no part in the first half of the song to begin with.

Try hard.

It's really pathetic that people are making a big deal about this.

Edited by The Real McCoy