What's with the over-glorification of Journey, three decades later?

DirtyDeeds

I don't know if it's like this where all you guys live, but every night around this city, there is a different Journey tribute band playing somewhere, and they are one of the most popular with karaoke. If I hear "Don't Stop Believing" one more time I might snap. Whenever their yearly tour makes a stop at a nearby amphitheater, it's this big fucking deal. What's up with this? I mean they were okay but nothing more, and they haven't released any relevant music in three decades. I know they were a lot more geared toward chicks, but I used to be able to tolerate them, but they have been so overplayed I can hardly take hearing one of their songs now. And now they are all over the place. They don't even have Steve Perry anymore! They have some young Filipino guy they found on youtube I think. What is the reason behind their trendiness over the last couple years?

I hear you. There's an outdoor karaoke bar right outside where I work, and in the summer I hear Don't Stop Believin' and Separate Ways at least 100 times a day. No word of a lie. Good band, but you're right, over glorified. That's actually a good way of putting it. I started really noticing it in high school. Suddenly everybody was all about Journey, and Don't Stop Believin' in particular.

I honestly think the one old episode of Family Guy where they sang it had something to do with it. :lol:

Edited by James Bond

They're good songs, but I agree that they're a massively overrated band. I didn't start getting into them at all until earlier this year - Joey Belladonna does a lot of their stuff in his side project (Very well I might add, IMO he can sing them as well as Steve Perry), and I started checking them out because of that, but I was a bit underwhelmed when I got past the dozen or so songs I've seen Joey sing :shrugs:

I hear you. There's an outdoor karaoke bar right outside where I work, and in the summer I hear Don't Stop Believin' and Separate Ways at least 100 times a day. No word of a lie. Good band, but you're right, over glorified. That's actually a good way of putting it. I started really noticing it in high school. Suddenly everybody was all about Journey, and Don't Stop Believin' in particular.

I honestly think the one old episode of Family Guy where they sang it had something to do with it. :lol:

I think you're right about Family Guy.

Guest Len B'stard

Never heard nothing of em cept what my punk education told me, which is that they're a bunch of old hippies. Should probably give em a listen and judge for myself actually, any reccomendations or are they not worth the time?

Never heard nothing of em cept what my punk education told me, which is that they're a bunch of old hippies. Should probably give em a listen and judge for myself actually, any reccomendations or are they not worth the time?

In my opinion, they are a band where the whole is not as great as the sum of the parts. They have a phenomenal lead guitarist (Neil Schon) and lead singer (Steve Perry), and the other musicians, whose names I forget, are also very good, but as a band they just aren't really worth it. And knowing what I (think I) know about your taste in music, you probably wouldn't much care for them.

Nevertheless, here's a list of some of their greatest hits:

Lights

Wheel in the Sky

Any Way you Want it

Stone in Love

Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)

Don't Stop Believin'

Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (Deeds' comment: God almighty, save me!)

Faithfully

There are more hits, but there's a sampling. The first half of the list is tolerable to me, the second half makes me want to gag. They did a lot of cheesy power ballads.

Trust me Len, not worth the time.

Doubt you will like them but for me they were best on the "Infinity" and "Evolution" albums..........

What's not to like about this video?

Steve Perry is a wealthy beach bum in Del Mar (San Diego) betting on horses all the time, supposedly he lost his voice and that's why he hasn't done anything in about a decade. Supposedly there were sightings of him popping up doing karaoke. I think Steve's like Axl when it comes to the voice.

Journey was still a big band in the mid 80s, then they completely stopped. I don't know or remember what happened. You just figured they'd be one of those bands that would keep going, and they just didn't (not counting the newer versions).

Their feud is kind of lame, but kind of in between GNR and Styx on the hate level. They got together at a Guitar Center event in LA, and that's been it since the late 90s.

I really don't know what to think of the wife stealing thing Schon did though. Seems like a dick move? Maybe they deserve each other?

I think this is their first hit song?

Edited by dalsh327

From '80-'83 they were the biggest band in America. Great live band, too.

From Infinity through Frontiers they put out a great album every year from '78-'83 (Frontiers came out in early '83, the lead single "Separate Ways" was released in fall of '82).

I don't look at them from a "hits" perspective, but from an album-oriented one. It's been weird seeing them become hip again, mainly for just the one song. They've got so many that are great.

If you like AOR, there's no way to not like Journey.

Even if you don't dig their music, watch some live videos and at least respect their musicianship. Top notch talent all the way around.