Marc, considering a trip to L.A.

PITBOSS

What kinds of stuff is there to do in the L.A. area? I've been to L.A. when i was a kid to go to disneyland but i don't remember much about the city.

My question what kinds of stuff could we do in February? What are the must see places (besides Canter's)? Will it be warm enough for the beach?

Check out this place if you're anywhere near the corner of Hollywood and Vine.

frolic-room-082909-03.jpg

I've been to LA twice in the past two years and this was my favourite bar both times. Awesome little divey place and the drinks are dirt cheap! :)

Feb. could be rainy, it's like an ice slick the years there's no rain. There's been rain so it might not be an issue.

Mechanical bull sounds like Saddle Ranch. Good people watching place.

LA Times is online if you want to see what shows are going on that week.

Santa Monica Pier & the Promenade if you're doing the family thing, Venice is another good people watching place and a bite to eat.

Old Pasadena and the swap meet at the Rose Bowl.

Bootleg videos - Santee Alley.

Awesome music store - Amoeba. Sometimes they have in-stores.

If you're a wino - you have Santa Barbara and Temecula, SB is better as far as that goes.

Beer snob - prob. Long Beach, the Yard House.

The comedy clubs in LA can have surprise appearances.

Supposedly downtown LA's improved a lot, haven't been there in 5 years.

There's always free tickets to see a TV show get taped.

Go to Sunset Strip. Rainbow Club, Whisky. I did. Man, it was great. Wish I had more time to spend there.

Also Key Club (which was where Gazzarri's used to be located) , Roxy (but I've never been to On The Rox), and Viper Room. If you have time to waste, sometimes you can find out where they're shooting a TV show or movie, usually the road's blocked and there's a line of trucks on side streets. Last time I was in LA they were setting up for that Will Smith superhero movie. There was a way of finding out what they were filming, but can't remember where.

• 3 weeks later...

about to book the hotel. anybody know what areas NOT to get a hotel that maybe dangerous? anybody have some input for some more activities to do while we are there?

Check this place out.

http://www.thehotelhollywood.com/

Really comfortable, well situated and reasonably priced. There's a great little pizza place across the street and it's a block from Hollywood Blvd and two blocks from Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. :)

about to book the hotel. anybody know what areas NOT to get a hotel that maybe dangerous? anybody have some input for some more activities to do while we are there?

Check this place out.

http://www.thehotelhollywood.com/

Really comfortable, well situated and reasonably priced. There's a great little pizza place across the street and it's a block from Hollywood Blvd and two blocks from Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. :)

Just read the reviews, it must have changed hands since 2009. Pretty good if you're seeing something at the Hollywood Bowl and not too far from the Metro line.