The Fucking Record Company

Millions

One of the side effects of all this recent touring, is that Axl is out there again - interacting with people, and doing meet-and-greets with the fans after the shows.

And, as you would expect - what is the most common question that these fans are asking Axl? Of course - its about the next album. If some of these fans are to be believed, one of the things Axl has been saying, is that there is confusion between the band and record company about responsibilities, and who owes what to who.

I find this quite insightful. When you think about how much the record company have paid over the years, you can understand that they feel entitled to more than just Chinese Democracy for their outlay. However, GNR's record company has changed several times, with buyouts and takeovers, and this had ramifications for the band's contract, which was restructured several times.

My feeling is that GNR feel that by handing over Chinese Democracy, they have fulfilled their end of the bargain, especially as the Best Buy deal would have offset a big chunk of the label's advance to the band. It seems that the band feel that in handing over Chinese Democracy, their end of the bargain is fulfilled. However, the record company paid ridiculous amounts for studio time, rare instruments, producers, etc...... and will feel that as a result they are entitled to ALL music created during that time, and as a result of their expenditure.

In my view, this divergence in attitudes is the real cause of the delay to the follow up to Chinese Democracy. GNR are basically refusing to hand over any more music until they get a big, fat wad of cash in return. Which the record label are obviously refusing to pay, feeling that they have already paid it in advance. And sadly, this one could go on and on, dragged through the courts, and then the appeals processes.

I always find it hilarious when random internet fans think they have any idea how things are between a band and their label, based off nothing but quick, off-hand comments from people in or around the band.

You find it hilarious? Are you sitting at your laptop screaming with laughter then? Really? Stop being such a pompous ass. Axl has actually said this to fans around the world. Maybe you can come up with a better explanation for his claims?

I wouldn't hand over money either if I was in the record company's position.

Agreed, DiceMan - I wouldn't hand over more money if I was the record company either. It just shitty that the fans are the ones losing out.

Edited by Millions

Axl's response to questioning fans, from Amir

"Well, we've just got to figure out what our deal with the label is".

I don't think that necessarily refers to the actual contract with the label, but simply where GN'R stand with the label in terms of whether another record garners much support from execs. I don't think Axl has formally approached the label about a follow-up to Chinese Democracy yet. So that's what I think he means when he suggests they will have to establish 'the deal', meaning the current opinions of the ringmasters.

That's why you don't work or ever will work for a record company. There is money to be made that's all they care about.

1. Record companies are almost all dead anyway.

2. Of course it's all they care about, it's called the "RECORD BUSINESS" for a reason.

That's why you don't work or ever will work for a record company. There is money to be made that's all they care about.

This whole thread is all speculations andd fallacies.

Funny, my cousin, a former vice-president of a major record label and who now is President of his own company in the music biz, said the same thing, not to mention that CD was underwhelming and overproduced and that Axl has an atrocious rep in the industry. He said Azoff would get the record out of Axl and that he wouldn't put up with any of his shit. He also said that he wouldn't want to work with someone who has such a bad reputation.

He also met Slash (and literally anyone who is anyone in the biz) and said he was a total spacer but nice.

IMO the music is already with the label, minus a few tweaks.

The sticking point, again just IMO, is the negotiation between Axl and the label about promotion and release strategy for the next album. It may be that Guns want x amount of promotional cash from the label, but they're not willing to play ball.

It may be catch 22. Axl was evidently pissed about how Chinese was released, and the label is reluctant to consider a new release given how Axl refused to promote Chinese.

I offer no pretence that I am in the know about howthese things work and I'm probably far off the mark.

Sounds like every business....thanks for your insight. I always thought most businesses were charities.......

I think your close

I think most of the songs are in their final stages, and just need some tweaking. There's less pressure this time, so their just finishing up the touring. I know the albums 5 years old but they've only toured it for around two. Which leaves plenty of time for recording. I think any hold ups will be on the labels end

IMO the music is already with the label, minus a few tweaks.

The sticking point, again just IMO, is the negotiation between Axl and the label about promotion and release strategy for the next album. It may be that Guns want x amount of promotional cash from the label, but they're not willing to play ball.

It may be catch 22. Axl was evidently pissed about how Chinese was released, and the label is reluctant to consider a new release given how Axl refused to promote Chinese.

I offer no pretence that I am in the know about howthese things work and I'm probably far off the mark.

This whole thread is all speculations andd fallacies.

And you're a hell of a cupcake lolcano!!!

No one needs a label to release music... Such a dumb excuse.

I think if you have a contract to only release music through them, then maybe you can't release it somewhere else. especially if they paid for you to make the music in CD era stuff. I'm not sure if this is true just wondering?

I think they still owe the label one more album. which the label may think is better to put out a Best of?

Edited by wasted

One of the side effects of all this recent touring, is that Axl is out there again - interacting with people, and doing meet-and-greets with the fans after the shows.

And, as you would expect - what is the most common question that these fans are asking Axl? Of course - its about the next album. If some of these fans are to be believed, one of the things Axl has been saying, is that there is confusion between the band and record company about responsibilities, and who owes what to who.

I find this quite insightful. When you think about how much the record company have paid over the years, you can understand that they feel entitled to more than just Chinese Democracy for their outlay. However, GNR's record company has changed several times, with buyouts and takeovers, and this had ramifications for the band's contract, which was restructured several times.

My feeling is that GNR feel that by handing over Chinese Democracy, they have fulfilled their end of the bargain, especially as the Best Buy deal would have offset a big chunk of the label's advance to the band. It seems that the band feel that in handing over Chinese Democracy, their end of the bargain is fulfilled. However, the record company paid ridiculous amounts for studio time, rare instruments, producers, etc...... and will feel that as a result they are entitled to ALL music created during that time, and as a result of their expenditure.

In my view, this divergence in attitudes is the real cause of the delay to the follow up to Chinese Democracy. GNR are basically refusing to hand over any more music until they get a big, fat wad of cash in return. Which the record label are obviously refusing to pay, feeling that they have already paid it in advance. And sadly, this one could go on and on, dragged through the courts, and then the appeals processes.

You just exemplified why Axl hates people from the internet with this series of far fetched assumptions and guesses.

You just exemplified why Axl hates people from the internet with this series of far fetched assumptions and guesses.

Assumptions, eh? Guesses? Its Axl's own words, you utter dick.

And while we're at it, why don't you stop assuming, and stop guessing what Axl does and does not hate. Fucking cretin.