If Axl is choosing to not use rasp, do you feel cheated?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

I saw Axl and Co (with Izzy!) at Vegas residency, he sounded amazing until about 2 hours into the show then Mickey came out to play. I truly do not think he chooses clean or rasp, it has everything to do with how much he is singing along with how much rest between each show

Regardless of whatever reason he's not using rasp, yes I do. Although, I believe it's just him partially losing his spark, and not giving enough of a shit to regain it.

Why am I gonna go all out and pay top dollar for somebody who's not gonna go all out and give me top notch? Axl may not "owe us" anything, but that goes both ways.

No, 'cause I would never see Axl's Band live.

If I did go, I'd use those 3 hours to flirt with drunk girls, get free weed, and beat Street Fighter IV on my iPhone for the umpteenth time.

Who knows, maybe I'd pay attention on Jungle, or Shackler's.

I just come here for the Fernando horoscope tweets. :shrugs:

You wouldn't notice a vocal change at the show, only lookin back on YouTube videos you will.

I went to 5 shows in 2010 and 7 in 2012. his mickey voice on Youtube wasn't really noticeable and not distracting to the shows in 2012.

Question should be, will you continue to watch YouTube videos if axl intentionally doesn't use the rasp. He spoke about the rasp after don't cry at the Dublin show this year.

That wasn't about the rasp, that was about the thing he does at the end on the album where he holds the "aye" on Cry for a while.

I saw him in Hamilton later that year and it was a fantastic show!

It was and I enjoyed it more than the show in Hamilton in 2010.

Nothing tops 2010 Hamilton. Twat alone makes it better. I still loved the 2011 show but hearing all the CD tunes in 2010 makes that a better show IMO

I think the 2010 show was fucking great, but overall I preferred the 2011 gig. To each their own I suppose.

Assuming Axl is choosing not to use rasp when singing live, and there's not a medical problem where he's no longer able to do it...

Don't you feel cheated?

You pay your hard-earned money to support a band that deserves way less of a fanbase than they possess, and Axl turns out bad performance after bad performance since Rock in Rio 2011.

At one point do you stop paying and demand more of Axl? What is his motivation to try harder when the same people support him regardless of the quality of his performances?

Yes we paid our hard earned money JUST to hear his rasp. Lmao the threads you guys make are idiotic. He can do what he wants, a

long lasting career or 1 or 2 more years of ruining his voice with the rasp. Stupid. If you feel "cheated" dont go hahahahahaha what a concept.

Edited by GNRFan53

Sometimes 2010 rasp was a bit excessive on some songs

No such thing.

Everyone who says "well he didn't use rasp on the Chinese Democracy album!" forget that his voice was garbage on most of the album.

2010 was like seeing 1991 Axl do the songs from Chinese Democracy for the first time. It was fucking awesome.

That's excesive rasp

I would rather hear this than no raspiness at all. That or either Patience voice.

Its quite amazing how little tolerance people have for Axl's voice. At the end of the day he's in the last 3rd of his career, no rocker from the 70's or 80's has the same voice capacity anymore its impossible to maintain and Axl's isnt exactly a conventional signing style. Whilst its a shame we didn't get more years of rasp due to all the bullshit, people have got to start accepting he will never sound the same as he did in the 80's or 90's.

Then just sing in a natural voice. Don't try to have a certain type of voice for different songs. Kinda like how Patience sounds to me. Sure there are raspy parts in Patience. But for the most part it doesn't sound much different than his speaking voice. At least to me anyway.

Its quite amazing how little tolerance people have for Axl's voice. At the end of the day he's in the last 3rd of his career, no rocker from the 70's or 80's has the same voice capacity anymore its impossible to maintain and Axl's isnt exactly a conventional signing style. Whilst its a shame we didn't get more years of rasp due to all the bullshit, people have got to start accepting he will never sound the same as he did in the 80's or 90's.

I think the fact people do get so bothered by it is testament to how much more loved he is/was than other rockers.

The 'saving his voice' theory to me is bull....I mean Brian Johnson (AC/DC) can still rasp through an entire 2 hour set show at 64!! Why couldn´t Axl?

This is rasp,but he sounds like Donald Ducks sick cousin or he's ready to cough up a lung the whole time.

Sometimes 2010 rasp was a bit excessive on some songs

No such thing.

Everyone who says "well he didn't use rasp on the Chinese Democracy album!" forget that his voice was garbage on most of the album.

2010 was like seeing 1991 Axl do the songs from Chinese Democracy for the first time. It was fucking awesome.

This.

And no, I don't feel cheated tat he's saving his voice. But I do feel cheated that he didn't sing ALL the Chinese songs in 2010. We'll probably never have versions of Twat, Prostitute and Rhiad to match the 2010 versions of the other songs. Same goes for Estranged, Civil War etc by the new band.

I saw him in Hamilton later that year and it was a fantastic show!

It was and I enjoyed it more than the show in Hamilton in 2010.

Nothing tops 2010 Hamilton. Twat alone makes it better. I still loved the 2011 show but hearing all the CD tunes in 2010 makes that a better show IMO

But there isn't a listenable bootleg :(

The rasp debate is more or less a debate about Axl's work ethic and drive. Most of the shitty M Mouse shows we see, Axl not coincidentally seems out of shape, not taking things seriously, merely going through the motions

It seems to clearly be a major factor, yeah. In 2006 and 2010 he came out the traps to get his new album over and gave 100%.

If he and the label ever got their shit together, put a new album out properly and promoted it, I think it's quite plausible we'd here 2006-level vocals again, if not the resurrection of 2010.