If Axl is choosing to not use rasp, do you feel cheated?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Assuming Axl is choosing not to use rasp when singing live, and there's not a medical problem where he's no longer able to do it...

Don't you feel cheated?

You pay your hard-earned money to support a band that deserves way less of a fanbase than they possess, and Axl turns out bad performance after bad performance since Rock in Rio 2011.

At one point do you stop paying and demand more of Axl? What is his motivation to try harder when the same people support him regardless of the quality of his performances?

Before this year, I automatically went to shows in my area. Most recent show was early 2012. Unless I see improvement in the upcoming shows, I probably won't pay to see them again. If there is improvement, I'm sure I'll go.

Improvement tot the rasp or an overhaul of the set list?

He doesn't have to use the rasp, because I understand how detrimental it is at this point. However, I think Axl could work harder on choosing a vocal timbre that would be sufficient to pull off some of the harder songs where he tends to sing in the purer toned helium voice. In place of a gritty rasp, he could use a hint of rasp in the style of Ian Gillian/Robert Plant/David Lee Roth, etc. Or something.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind if he sang like Stephen Pearcy. Pearcy's rasp is less refined than Axl's, but it might be easier to pull off because of that. Seriously. I'd like to hear Pearcy cover a GnR song.

Edited by brainsaber

Before this year, I automatically went to shows in my area. Most recent show was early 2012. Unless I see improvement in the upcoming shows, I probably won't pay to see them again. If there is improvement, I'm sure I'll go.

Improvement tot the rasp or an overhaul of the set list?

Ideally, both. If rasp came back, I'd definitely go. If set list was overhauled but voice was the same, I'd probably go. But I'd be listening to a lot of bootlegs before making the final decision.

I don't feel cheated. If he's intentionally using less rasp to maintain the longevity of his ability to sing as I've suspected for some time, I'm perfectly okay with it. I don't hate the clean voice to begin with, and if it means I keep getting to see GN'R live, sounds good to me :thumbsup:

I don't feel cheated. If he's intentionally using less rasp to maintain the longevity of his ability to sing as I've suspected for some time

There is no proof about that

No, but there's plenty of reasons to think he is. This has been my theory since shortly after Rio, and it seems others may be thinking the same nowadays.

I don't feel cheated. If he's intentionally using less rasp to maintain the longevity of his ability to sing as I've suspected for some time

No, but there's plenty of reasons to think he is. This has been my theory since shortly after Rio, and it seems others may be thinking the same nowadays.

It's very strange that after 2010, a year where he put more rasp in every song than ever before, then in 2011, he start using clean voice, if he is really doing this to maintain the longevity of his hability, something should have happened at the end of 2010.

Sometimes 2010 rasp was a bit excessive on some songs...like Catcher in the Rye, but perfectly suited most other songs. Then in 2011 some songs were OK but most sucked because of the (almost) total lack of rasp. If only Axl could have found an in between balance for his voice...

It's very strange that after 2010, a year where he put more rasp in every song than ever before, then in 2011, he start using clean voice, if he is really doing this to maintain the longevity of his hability, something should have happened at the end of 2010.

On the flip side, I see it as an indicator of an intentional change that it happened over a break in touring. My guess would be he realized sometime late in 2010 that he couldn't keep touring constantly and singing like that. Some people try to pin the clean voice on not rehearsing over the 10 month break between Abu Dhabi and Rio but that's illogical; it doesn't seem he rehearsed at all between the 2007 shows and Taipei and that was a 2 and a half year gap, yet the rasp was still there in 2009.

Sometimes 2010 rasp was a bit excessive on some songs

No such thing.

Everyone who says "well he didn't use rasp on the Chinese Democracy album!" forget that his voice was garbage on most of the album.

2010 was like seeing 1991 Axl do the songs from Chinese Democracy for the first time. It was fucking awesome.

No such thing.

Everyone who says "well he didn't use rasp on the Chinese Democracy album!" forget that his voice was garbage on most of the album.

2010 was like seeing 1991 Axl do the songs from Chinese Democracy for the first time. It was fucking awesome.

That's excesive rasp

No such thing.

That's excesive rasp

You're on crack - that's perfect.

I saw him in Hamilton later that year and it was a fantastic show!

It was and I enjoyed it more than the show in Hamilton in 2010.

Nothing tops 2010 Hamilton. Twat alone makes it better. I still loved the 2011 show but hearing all the CD tunes in 2010 makes that a better show IMO

No such thing.

That's excesive rasp

Hey I'm not saying I don't like it, for me is awesome, but you have to recognize that he uses more rasp than he used to

No such thing.

That's excesive rasp

No such thing.

That's excesive rasp

Hey I'm not saying I don't like it, for me is awesome, but you have to recognize that he uses more rasp than he used to

but its amazing

No such thing.

That's excesive rasp

No such thing.

That's excesive rasp

but its amazing

I'm not denying it xD

You wouldn't notice a vocal change at the show, only lookin back on YouTube videos you will.

I went to 5 shows in 2010 and 7 in 2012. his mickey voice on Youtube wasn't really noticeable and not distracting to the shows in 2012.

Question should be, will you continue to watch YouTube videos if axl intentionally doesn't use the rasp. He spoke about the rasp after don't cry at the Dublin show this year.