R.I.P. Alvin Lee

Zint

Never heard of him.

Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:

On topic. I love the Filmore recordings Ten Years After did in 1970. Listened to that show fuck knows how many times. :)

I've never heard of him either, I've heard of TYA but have no clue on their songs unless I hear one and recognise it. Always sad to hear of the death of a performer but I'm guessing he might have been a fair age? No?

Never heard of him.

Broski and Cardi not hearing of him does not surprise me but I am surprised you never heard of him Bran as it sounds like you grew up with classic rock.

Anyway I had the priviledge of seeing TYA several times and Alvin was an awesome guitar player....another legend bites the dust...R.I.P.

Lee ex bandmates stunned by death

Comments 2 MARTIN KIELTY at 11:46am March 7 2013

TYA: Ric Lee, Leo Lyons, Chick Churchill, Alvin Lee

Alvin Lee’s former bandmates Ric Lee and Leo Lyons have expressed their shock at his death yesterday.

The drummer and bass player offered the following tributes:

Ric Lee: “We are all stunned. All of us. I don’t think it’s even sunk in yet as to the reality of his passing. We are all thinking of his family and friends today, and offer our own condolences.”

Leo Lyons: “It came as a complete shock to me. I still haven’t taken it in. I feel very sad. He was the closest thing I had to a brother. We had our differences, but we shared so many great experiences together that nothing can take away. I will miss him very much. He was an inspiration for a generation of guitar players. Keep on rockin’, Alvin!”

Many other musicians have echoed Lee and Lyons’ comments about Lee, who passed away in Spain as a result of medical complications following routine surgery. He was 68.

They include:

Geezer Butler: Shocked and saddened. One of the true greats and a major influence on Sabbath. The fastest guitar in the west. He was one of the few people that believed in Sabbath when we started out, and he got us our first major London gig, at the Marquee. A true gentleman and lovely bloke.”

Bill Ward: “Thank you, Alvin, for all that you were. For all that you gave. You were one of a kind. Your music rocked with passion, force, excitement; brave in risk, bringing this listener to the point of ‘wowism’. In short, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Our condolences go to Alvin’s family.”

Slash: “He was the first badass, super fast lead guitarist I remember hearing as a kid. legend.”

Glenn Hughes: “So very sad to hear of another friend passing.”

Joe Bonamassa: “Rest in peace, Alvin Lee. Another hero gone this week… This is becoming too regular. A very sad night.”

Joe Satriani: “A big influence on my playing. He was a great musician and a gentleman too. I still have the pick he gave me a few years back…”

Keith Emerson: “Dear Alvin, you checked out way too early my friend. I’ll miss the fun we had on mini-motorcycles, you as ‘Awful Knawful’ and our failed attempt to swim back to England from the Bahamas. That was some time ago but we made it through. Above all everyone will remember the fun and the music you made.”

Fish: “A great guitarist and fine and lovely bloke. Will never forget the laughs we had together in Tel Aviv at an extremely dodgy festival and the eternal drinking in the bar waiting on the gig that never happened.”

Foghat: “Truly one of the great guitarists of our time. Our hearts and thoughts are with his family and friends. You will be missed.”

Danny Vaughn: “So sad to lose Alvin Lee, one of the first great guitar heroes.”

http://www.classicro...s_mail_job=5819http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/alvin-lee-ex-bandmates-stunned-by-death/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-Adestra&ns_campaign=4788&ns_source=Adestra&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=ALVIN%20LEE%27S%20EX%20BANDMATES%20STUNNED%20BY%20DEATH&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=green_acres1%40charter.net&ns_mail_uid=60&ns_mail_job=5819

Edited by classicrawker

Yeah I was surprised Bran hadn't heard of him.

Never did get to see TYA, they were a band always on my wanna see list.

First time I saw them headline was with Edgar Winter Group (w Ronnie Montrose) and Ramatan supporting at Nassau Colisseum.

Great lineup of bands and show.....they were in that second tier of great bands with Humble Pie, Uriah Heep, Mountain and Deep Purple IMHO. Very underrated

Alvin Lee of Ten Years after was one of the most amazing guitar players of the 60's and early 70's.

Ten Years After played one of the most memorable performance at Woodstock with "Going Home".

I saw Ten Years After back in 1971 in NYC and they were fuckin awesome live.

Alvin Lee is up there with the likes of Carlos Santana and Eric Clapton.

He had a bluesy kind of voice, deep and rich, but he could scream too!

Ten Years After were a rock and roll band, but incorporated blues to their music too and even had a pop/rock kind of song in Change the world. I remember buying their records in my neighborhood record store.

If you are too young to know who they are, look them up online and I'm sure you can view their performance at Woodstock on youtube.

alvin Lee will be missed by all who knew him, his band and his amazing music.

RIP Alvin. You were part of my life growing up and I thank you for that!