March 9th, 2013 - Perth, Australia

Guest Gunns

Not trying to derail the thread, go wildly off topic or anything like that but I just saw the setlist for a recent Bon Jovi show and it kinda blew me away. Now, personally, I think the majority of Jovi's material post 1995 is cynical drivel with absolutely terribly, hokey lyrics designed to feed the monster and keep selling out Hyde Park etc. But the fact that they can go play an arena/stadium tour in 2013 and only play TWO classic hit songs (Prayer and Wanted) is friggin awesome. Axl is meant to be one of the few people in the business at this level who truly cares only about the music but his change in stance on setlists since his 1993 couldn't be more stark.

Have A Nice Day

Its My Life

What About Now

We Weren't Born To Follow

Lost Highway

The Distance

Thats What The Water Made Me

Make A Memory

Amen

Captain Crash

Army Of One

Happy Now

Everyday

I'm With You

Thorn In My Side

Bounce

Every Road Leads Home To You (Richie Sambora)

Who Says You Cant Go Home

Wanted

----------------------------------------

Thank You For Loving Me

I Love This Town

Living On A Prayer

2 Songs from the 80s and the rest post 2000

No offence but that's looks like the shittiest BJ concert on paper.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bon jovi sucks post-2000 but that's a very brave thing to do.

The funny thing is that i've spent all day reading Dry County, the main Jovi board and it makes this place seem like a beacon of positivity towards Axl! I mean that seriously. With the exception of a few people who dislike Axl and New GNR altogether, most of the criticism here comes from people like me who LOVE Axl and want him to succeed on his own terms. On the Jovi board, at least 60% of the fans outright dislike Jon as a person because he's apparently such a dickhead ( not a dick like Axl, just a regular douche). They are absolutely brutalising everything Jon has written in the last 13 years and his attempts to turn Jovi into a serious songwriting band and garner critical acclaim like Springsteen, Waits, Cohen etc and they are trashing his now motionless live performances where he stands at his mic stand all night playing the journeyman and singing all recent middle-of-the-road storytelling songs with his shot-to-pieces voice whilst Richie skulks in the shadows, barely allowed to eek out a rock solo.

I just find it ironic that as recently as 2010, Axl was still arguably the most ferocious, virile rock frontman on the planet but he's done nothing with that except tour the hits whilst Jon's voice is erroded as he's putting 100% into his new material.

I posted the Jungle Rock Am Ring vid on the Jovi board and some of them were like 'Axl Rose is a prick but fuck me that's amazing, as a fan of Jon o'm jealous.'

What about Queen sets? Please educate me! And as I said, i'm not for a minute saying Jovi are great or whatever just...what I said.

That is true though. Jon may be in better shape, but vocally his voice isn't really good anymore and he does stand around more.

Where'as Axl's rasp isn't really there anymore, and he's a bit out of shape, but unlike Jon, Axl's moving around on stage.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

So how many shows has they done with setlists like this? Every setlist Ive been looking at has been looking like this:

Bon Jovi setlist 20. May 2012

1. Raise your hands (1986)
2. You give love a bad name (1986)
3. Born to be my baby (1988)
4. We weren't born to follow (2009)
5. Lost highway (2007)
6. It's my life (2000)
7. Blood on blood (1988)
8. Runaway (1983)
9. Captain crash (2000)
10. Wanted dead or alive (1986)
11. Bad Medicine (1988)
12. We got it goin' (2007)
13. Have a nice day (2005)
14. Someday I'll be Saturday night (1995)
15. Who say you can't go home (2006)
16. Keep the faith (1992)
17. I'll be there for you (1989)
18. In these arms (1993)
19. I'll sleep when I'm dead (1992)
20. Livin' on a prayer (1986)
9 songs from the 80s. 4 from early 90s. 7 post-2000 (All older than Chinese Democracy, except one).
Just to compare, in Vegas GN'R played 7 Appetite songs (80s). 5 from CD (2008).
Edited by Jeez

Not trying to derail the thread, go wildly off topic or anything like that but I just saw the setlist for a recent Bon Jovi show and it kinda blew me away. Now, personally, I think the majority of Jovi's material post 1995 is cynical drivel with absolutely terribly, hokey lyrics designed to feed the monster and keep selling out Hyde Park etc. But the fact that they can go play an arena/stadium tour in 2013 and only play TWO classic hit songs (Prayer and Wanted) is friggin awesome. Axl is meant to be one of the few people in the business at this level who truly cares only about the music but his change in stance on setlists since his 1993 couldn't be more stark.

Have A Nice Day

Its My Life

What About Now

Lost Highway

The Distance

Make A Memory

Amen

Captain Crash

Army Of One

Happy Now

Everyday

I'm With You

Thorn In My Side

Bounce

Wanted

Thank You For Loving Me

I Love This Town

Living On A Prayer

Not only are you complaining about a set-list, but also a set-list at a show you didn't attend........what a friggin hypocrite you are.

Lars: yes, I made a whoopsie, doesn't change my point an inch.

Volcano: why would I be offended? i stated that I think Jovi post-1995 is weak. Do you yaysayers ever bother to properly read peoples' posts?

Jon has started off the last few tours by really mixing sets up, playing stuff that hasn't been played in 25+ years etc and then as the tour rolls on it gets more GH-orientated again and the forums bitch about it the same as the sensible people on here do regarding Axl. But at least Jon has a go at mixing it up now and again or playing a whole new album in its entirety. That's all i'm saying. It's incredible to me that Axl hasn't done a small show and played Chinese in full sometime somewhere.

Bon Jovi is exactly like Gn'R and a lot of heyday late 80's rock bands....they're all just more or less disguised nostalgia acts now. The best songs were written in both bands a looong time ago and nothings gonna change that. Deal with it and accept it. I have.

Setlist variation?

Bruce Springsteen played over 200 (!!!) different songs on the Wrecking Ball tour. Saw him consecutive nights, 19 (!) songs were replaced for night #2.

You really shouldn't compare someone who cares about his fans with someone who couldn't give a flying fuck.

Bon Jovi is exactly like Gn'R and a lot of heyday late 80's rock bands....they're all just more or less disguised nostalgia acts now. The best songs were written in both bands a looong time ago and nothings gonna change that. Deal with it and accept it. I have.

The difference between GN'R and a lot of other band is a lot of the other bands still have the same musicians from the 80's. Motley, Poison, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith. Barring Axl and Dizzy, not one member of the current band had anything to do with the hits from the 80's and early 90's that the set-list's consist of. If Axl want's the continue being a nostalgia act, than he might as well reunite with the old band. What's the difference?

And all those bands have released more new music than Axl has in the last decade.

I think Axl tried to move away from that "band from the 80s" thing in his return in 2001. Now he's as nostalgic as any other hair metal band still around, but with new musicians, so they are basically playing covers with the original singer. A reunion would be better since new music is impossible.

i'm offended that people have been talking about bon jovi in my thread

What, a musician who cares about his fans and puts out music on a timely bases?

How's that a bad thing? People are just comparing a musician who cares about his fans and mixes up his set-lists to a musician who doesn't seem to give a fuck about his fans and plays essentially the same set-list every night. While touring with a band who (barring Dizzy) had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the material a majority of the set-list consist of.

Sure, you may not like their music, but that doesn't negate the fact that they put our new music for their fans. Even if you don't like it, there's a are millions who do and will willfully listen to it.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Remember people, he is 51. A lot of people (not everyone) put on weight with age...just look at the whole cast from the sopranos.

He's not an actor...he's a rock star. I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as f@ck. Age is not by itself a good excuse to let one go... That being said Axl is looking definitely better and less bloated than in late '12 and that has gotta be a good sign for the rest of the year. His vocals are not also that bad actually which surprised me. Here's to a great '13 Axl n'Roses!

I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as f@ck.

Actually no you cant. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that Axl is MORE fit than the average 51 year old man in this country. I can't believe how harsh people are about his weight. He is wealthy, and has all the rich foods, lifestyle etc. He looks great for his age, and you have no idea what his medication does to his weight as well. And just cause he has a little gut, which may be genetic, does not mean he is not fit. I was just a a three hour show where he ran around and danced all show. He is fine. You guys are ridiculous. Funny part is, I bet more than half of you guys talking shit have a bigger boiler than he does.

Remember people, he is 51. A lot of people (not everyone) put on weight with age...just look at the whole cast from the sopranos.

He's not an actor...he's a rock star. I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as f@ck. Age is not by itself a good excuse to let one go... That being said Axl is looking definitely better and less bloated than in late '12 and that has gotta be a good sign for the rest of the year. His vocals are not also that bad actually which surprised me. Here's to a great '13 Axl n'Roses!

> I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as f@ck.

Actually no you cant. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that Axl is MORE fit than the average 51 year old man in this country. I can't believe how harsh people are about his weight. He is wealthy, and has all the rich foods, lifestyle etc. He looks great for his age, and you have no idea what his medication does to his weight as well. And just cause he has a little gut, which may be genetic, does not mean he is not fit. I was just a a three hour show where he ran around and danced all show. He is fine. You guys are ridiculous. Funny part is, I bet more than half of you guys talking shit have a bigger boiler than he does.

Joe Perry (62) Jon Bon Jovi (50) Richie Sambora (53) David Bryan (51) Duff McKagan (49) Kirk Hammett (51) James Hetfield (49) Roger Daltrey (68) Mick Jagger (69), Bruce Springsteen (63) Paul McCartney (70) CC Deville (50) Tommy Lee (50) Prince (54) David Bowie (66) Phil Collen (54) Geoff Tate (54) David Coverdale (61) Vivian Campbell (50) Tony Iommi (64) .

Edited by GNR123GNR456

The difference between GN'R and a lot of other band is a lot of the other bands still have the same musicians from the 80's. Motley, Poison, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith. Barring Axl and Dizzy, not one member of the current band had anything to do with the hits from the 80's and early 90's that the set-list's consist of. If Axl want's the continue being a nostalgia act, than he might as well reunite with the old band. What's the difference?

And all those bands have released more new music than Axl has in the last decade.

If Axl want's the continue being a nostalgia act, than he might as well reunite with the old band. What's the difference

The difference is he doesn't want to, and that is his right. You wanna call it a nostalgia act, fine. But he calls it winding down his career doing what he wants to do. And some young guy who has no musical catalog, and has never had ANY musical success, looks like a fool telling Axl how to end his career. We all want to work hard, get your goals, and then reap the rewards when we are finished. I have no idea what is wrong with any of what he is doing at all. He did it already. There is no reason he should be forced to do it again, if that isn't what he wants, just cause YOU think he should. You don't like it, go listen to Metallica.

> I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as

f@ck.

Joe Perry (62) Jon Bon Jovi (50) Richie Sambora (53) David Bryan (51) Duff McKagan (49) Kirk Hammett (51) James Hetfield (49) Roger Daltrey (68) Mick Jagger (69), Bruce Springsteen (63) Paul McCartney (70) CC Deville (50) Tommy Lee (50) Prince (54) David Bowie (66) Phil Collen (54) Geoff Tate (54) David Coverdale (61) Vivian Campbell (50) Tony Iommi (64) .

That is what 10 guys? Is that endless? Do you really think I could not name more than that who arent/. That is not endless. And some of those names arent any more fit than he is. A small gut does not mean unfit. And half of those guys are not household names with all the money and fame. That was a horrible list.

You wanna call it a nostalgia act, fine. But he calls it winding down his career doing what he wants to do.

Show me where Axl has indicated that he believes he is winding down his career. If he were to say something like that, I think most of us would begrudgingly accept it. He has said no such thing as far as I know.

>If Axl want's the continue being a nostalgia act, than he might as well reunite with the old band. What's the difference

The difference is he doesn't want to, and that is his right. You wanna call it a nostalgia act, fine. But he calls it winding down his career doing what he wants to do. And some young guy who has no musical catalog, and has never had ANY musical success, looks like a fool telling Axl how to end his career. We all want to work hard, get your goals, and then reap the rewards when we are finished. I have no idea what is wrong with any of what he is doing at all. He did it already. There is no reason he should be forced to do it again, if that isn't what he wants, just cause YOU think he should. You don't like it, go listen to Metallica.

The thing is, he has a group of musicians who want to write and record music. They (obviously Bumblefoot) want to make music with Axl and GN'R. What's the use of staying in a band if you just going to be covering other people's music night after night? I'm not telling Axl how to run his career, I'm just saying that I want to hear new music from my favorite musician and band, that's all. And there's nothing wrong with that. Axl's a great musical artist and I want to hear what he has left in the studio. His melodies, his lyrics, his voice. That's all I want.

I don't want him to be downgraded to a nostalgia act cashing on the hits of all because I feel that's he's above that. He's got too much talent to let it all slip away just to appease to the casual fans who have no clue who DJ Ashba or Richard Fortus are.

>If Axl want's the continue being a nostalgia act, than he might as well reunite with the old band. What's the difference

> I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as

f@ck.ockquote>
-time="1<p>363004863">

That is what 10 guys? Is that endless? Do you really think I could not name more than that who arent/. That is not endless. And some of those names arent any more fit than he is. A small gut does not mean unfit. And half of those guys are not household names with all the money and fame. That was a horrible list.

Gunzen what can I say but you have put this perfectly. Reunite with the old band? There are people you work with in life who you can't stand by the time you leave the job, the last thing you would want to do is put all those people together to work with you again.

Gunzen - you couldn't be more right. Axl is happy now so why should he change? It seems some people are never satisfied and as you said they should go listen to another band if it's so hard to be a fan of gnr anymore. There's still plenty that like what they do.

Edited by rock4eva

I'm just pointing out that age shouldn't be a factor in what a person's shape their in.

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. It's possible to offset metabolic slow down and/or muscle mass loss with age to some extent, but it is a natural byproduct of aging. No one is immune to it. Pointing out exceptions to the rule only underscores the fact that there is a rule to begin with.

Ali

You wanna call it a nostalgia act, fine. But he calls it winding down his career doing what he wants to do.

Show me where Axl has indicated that he believes he is winding down his career. If he were to say something like that, I think most of us would begrudgingly accept it. He has said no such thing as far as I know.

I would like to see that quote from Axl as well. Everything we've heard in interviews from current band members show a sense of wanting to move forward with new music. Did Axl say that he wasn't interested in that?

I wouldn't take anything that Gunzen says too seriously, he is a major Axl star fucker.

"); Official: Guns N' Roses March 9, Perth Australia. First Australian/2013 Date *UPDATES*

"UPDATES" being the word.

Wow. Wasn't this thread de-railed.

Anyhow, thanks to those who positively contributed to the thread. Looking forward to the unbiased feedback from the Sydney show. :tongue2:

Have A Nice Day

Its My Life

What About Now

Lost Highway

The Distance

Make A Memory

Amen

Captain Crash

Army Of One

Happy Now

Everyday

I'm With You

Thorn In My Side

Bounce

Wanted

Thank You For Loving Me

I Love This Town

Living On A Prayer

Not only are you complaining about a set-list, but also a set-list at a show you didn't attend........what a friggin hypocrite you are.

I said on paper...maybe its a good show when you are actually there....