March 9th, 2013 - Perth, Australia

Guest Gunns

That was awesome! They nailed it!

He sounds great and the haters must have cotton wool dipped in acid stuffed far up their ears, if their petty whining is any indication.

The beauty of the Don't Cry performance in particular is that it is not just one of everyone's favorite all time Guns songs. It has a lot of meaning to Axl personally and it's also now a big part of the mythology/traditions of New Guns. Ever since Bumblefoot pulled it out impromptu in Japan and Axl started singing along, fans everywhere have been waiting for it to happen this way during the live shows and it gets an amazing response. I just think that that makes it extra cool. Moreover, they pretty much nail it this way now - from Bumble starting alone and then Axl and the others slowly joining till by the end they hit a crescendo. Beautiful - it's become a classic song that's played in a totally unique New Guns way. Axl messing around with DJ was also fun to watch.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sounds awful. It makes me sad. I'm losing all hope with this shit.

Axl, you contribute nothing else to world of music these days. The least you can do is get your shit together for live shows. If they have to be shorter, make them shorter. If you have to do fewer shows, do fewer. Do whatever, but you can't do this to the GNR name.

Fuck it. Maybe it's already done. :shrugs:

lol, the tragedy

You probably don't remember, little girl, but GNR used to be a band worthy of respect.

aww, considering that Ax is 51 now and has based a large portion of his singing style on screeching with a head voice, I don't feel he's always, all that bad. Serious, any voice teacher will tell you that you don't "want to sing like Axl Rose", and that Axl Rose shouldn't be singing like Axl Rose- it just fucks you up. It's never going to be the way it was 20 years ago. If you really can't stand it, don't go to the shows- instead watch 20 year old videos on YouTube. Personally, I think the shows are fuckin' fun, and I'm happy he's still here with us.

or... mood swing... "How 'bout I grow a dick so's you whiney complaining Ass Hats can suck it?"

aww, considering that Ax is 51 now and has based a large portion of his singing style on screeching with a head voice, I don't feel he's always, all that bad. Serious, any voice teacher will tell you that you don't "want to sing like Axl Rose", and that Axl Rose shouldn't be singing like Axl Rose- it just fucks you up. It's never going to be the way it was 20 years ago. If you really can't stand it, don't go to the shows- instead watch 20 year old videos on YouTube. Personally, I think the shows are fuckin' fun, and I'm happy he's still here with us.

I think the problem in the old days was that he DIDN'T use his head voice like he should have and often was straining his chest voice to hit notes it shouldn't be used to hit. That and singing with a closed throat so much. But, I agree, I've yet to meet a voice teacher that has advocated singing like AFD-UYI Axl.

Ali

Sorry but that rasp on dont cry is dredful. Much better clean. Rasp might work well on more up beat rockers like nightrain, ycbm, jungle, better ect. Doesn't work well on ballads at all. Even in the illusion days. Check out the indiana show and the riot show from 91. C'mon, this isn't how it should be sung...

Compare that to the last show (and I'm not picking out one show from 91, there are many raspy examples where it doesn't work from back then)

Edited by Axl_morris

This is what we're calling awesome now?

My thoughts exactly.

:rofl-lol:

I also love how he gets more outta shape and people say, wow he is losing weight and looks better now.

I think Axl still has it in him to get back to that 2006-2010 voice, he obviously did something to get back in vocal shape after the Mickey Mouse circa 2002, ya just gotta do that little thing Allen Iverson says "we talkin' bout practice"

This is what we're calling awesome now?

My thoughts exactly.

:rofl-lol:

I also love how he gets more outta shape and people say, wow he is losing weight and looks better now.

I think Axl still has it in him to get back to that 2006-2010 voice, he obviously did something to get back in vocal shape after the Mickey Mouse circa 2002, ya just gotta do that little thing Allen Iverson says "we talkin' bout practice"

Several pages ago I started reading this from the last page, going backwards. You're right... people were saying how good he looks. When I got to the pics, he looks exactly the same as he has the past year. Maybe a little heavier. It's sad how low expectations have become.

That was awesome! They nailed it!

He sounds great and the haters must have cotton wool dipped in acid stuffed far up their ears, if their petty whining is any indication.

The beauty of the Don't Cry performance in particular is that it is not just one of everyone's favorite all time Guns songs. It has a lot of meaning to Axl personally and it's also now a big part of the mythology/traditions of New Guns. Ever since Bumblefoot pulled it out impromptu in Japan and Axl started singing along, fans everywhere have been waiting for it to happen this way during the live shows and it gets an amazing response. I just think that that makes it extra cool. Moreover, they pretty much nail it this way now - from Bumble starting alone and then Axl and the others slowly joining till by the end they hit a crescendo. Beautiful - it's become a classic song that's played in a totally unique New Guns way. Axl messing around with DJ was also fun to watch.

This performance is decent nothing more nothing less