March 9th, 2013 - Perth, Australia

Guest Gunns

I just watched a few videos and he sounds surprisingly decent. He's quite great (especially on Paradise City) but he's reasonably solid. Didn't lose breath, had strength in his voice, did the screams well enough and didn't sound anywhere near as whiny as he did a year ago. 2011 and 2012 had left a really bad taste in my mouth and this is a definite improvement.

This!

It's decent...and I'll leave it that. I think the problem is, we keep lowering the bar. Axl wasn't very good last year so anything slightly better is seen as "amazing". In reality, it's still quite poor compared to 2006 when I thought he was at his best.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm worried about the vocals. Singing any song without rasp is unacceptable.

That's what made him famous in the first place, but yet a lot of you think it's OKAY to use a clean voice on songs that never had clean vocals.

When I go to a GNR show I come for Axl's powerful, raspy voice. Without that I'd might as well go to Slash's shows.

I have been disappointed with this since the last tour started. What has happened since 2010?

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of NuGNR for years now but those vocals aren't GNR.

I know I'll get bashed for this but I'm tired of defending Axl.

If Axl chooses to sing clean instead of rasp for his voice, it's the best singing choice for Axl. You can't sing rasp all the time on every song, whether you're 28 or 58.

That's what made him famous in the first place, but yet a lot of you think it's OKAY to use a clean voice on songs that never had clean vocals.

When I go to a GNR show I come for Axl's powerful, raspy voice. Without that I'd might as well go to Slash's shows.

I have been disappointed with this since the last tour started. What has happened since 2010?

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of NuGNR for years now but those vocals aren't GNR.

Eggs.Fuckin'.Xactly.

I agree. It's sort of like if Slash decided to start playing all the GN'R songs with a clean tone instead of that sleazy tone he's used for over 2 decades(granted it's changed somewhat but it's still there).

Edited by axlrosefan1

If Axl chooses to sing clean instead of rasp for his voice, it's the best singing choice for Axl. You can't sing rasp all the time on every song, whether you're 28 or 58.

He did when he was 28, even his lower voice sounded raw and raspy.

He also did it on pretty much every song in 2010, more than in 2006.

Axl would've never made it big if he sang like this in old GNR...

I think Axl is entitled to sing how he pleases just as people are entitled to like or not like it and attend the shows or not based on it.

It would help however if he was to address the situation regarding his voice in an interview as knowing the reasons why would go some way in helping people accept it (or not). As with everything GNR it is the uncertainty that fuels speculation and discord. Part of me can only assume that the guns camp enjoy this negative attention in some way because they don't do much to alleviate it.

He did when he was 28, even his lower voice sounded raw and raspy.

He also did it on pretty much every song in 2010, more than in 2006.

Axl would've never made it big if he sang like this in old GNR...

It's Axl's choice. I'm sure if Axl wanted to sing rasp, he'd sing rasp on every song. With GNR not making it big with a clean Axl voice, Axl sings clean with the Appetite and LIES CD on songs like Sweet Child, Patience, and Paradise City. These are some of the most popular songs in rock history.

Edited by ashbalove

I don't care the way he sings you know what it is?

It's the feel when you are there witnessing the band perform new songs and old songs and cover songs and make them their's to begin with.

When you are at a show I don't listen to the vocals or how tight a band is. I watch the showmanship and listen what all players can do with each other.

Music shouldn't be listend to 100% tightness or vocal performance but to the thrill and excitement the members show on stage.

You can say what you want, but this is a well tuned machine!

there aren't a lot of bands (Rock/Hardrock style) that I can say this about.

He sounds amazing to me. Haters are just kids stuck in 91.

You really need to drop the "stuck in 91" thing from your attack list because no one in the GNR world is "stuck in 91" more than Axl himself, and it is not in a good way.

If you are going to attack people for supposedly being "stuck in 91" you had best start with the Dear Leader, and go from there.

If Axl was stuck in 91 he'd agree to a reunion.
Massive Fail.

Notice how I said "and not in a good way".

He is stuck in 1991 mentally without any of the good stuff that accompanied that period.....i.e, the old band and his voice.

Some of you swingers are so desperate and eager to defend the Dear Leader that you don't even finish sentences before hitting the reply button.

That is unhealthy, and something you might want to consider looking into as far as professional help.

You're the cupcake that needs help. You spend your time posting negative shit about a band you dont like.

If Axl is without some of the good things from 91, he's also void of some of the band things also. He's far from stuck in the past. He has an amazing band and he's touring the world. Hows your life goin for ya?

It wasn't an awful performance for sure, but in

I just watched a few videos and he sounds surprisingly decent. He's quite great (especially on Paradise City) but he's reasonably solid. Didn't lose breath, had strength in his voice, did the screams well enough and didn't sound anywhere near as whiny as he did a year ago. 2011 and 2012 had left a really bad taste in my mouth and this is a definite improvement.

This!

Really now?

2 PC performances from 2012 that beat the crap out of this one...

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNPQ4tgCfxE

Edited by trqster

This!

It's decent...and I'll leave it that. I think the problem is, we keep lowering the bar. Axl wasn't very good last year so anything slightly better is seen as "amazing". In reality, it's still quite poor compared to 2006 when I thought he was at his best.

Wow he even had the whistle timing down perfect back then!

@evergreen_layne

Not really a fair comparison is it? I mean in 2006 & 2010 every PC beat the crap out of '11 and '12 (and now '13)...and what GivenToFly said was: "Didn't lose breath, had strength in his voice, did the screams well enough and didn't sound anywhere near as whiny as he did a year ago. 2011 and 2012 had left a really bad taste in my mouth and this is a definite improvement."

My opinion is Axl was disappointed after a strong '09-'10 to come back to the US and not have any dates set up, so he kinda got depressed and said fuck it (there are quotes to this point, I cant remember the source). Thus, you have 2011 and 2012, where he was not only weak but listless and unfocused. I predict - and from Perth I think I might be right - that he is in better shape, more focused, and will put on good shows; however, you're not gonna see 2010-level voice because he is saving it, probably for a record. I truly believe he knows he can turn it on when he wants. His voice is very important and most people who go to gigs are there to have a good time, take a trip down memory lane, and GNR is merely capitalizing on this. Axl already proved he can still ROCK it live in 2010 and so he has nothing to prove and everything to lose by going 110% live again, as he did for much of '10.

Edited by Eu4ic

I think Axl is entitled to sing how he pleases just as people are entitled to like or not like it and attend the shows or not based on it.

It would help however if he was to address the situation regarding his voice in an interview as knowing the reasons why would go some way in helping people accept it (or not). As with everything GNR it is the uncertainty that fuels speculation and discord. Part of me can only assume that the guns camp enjoy this negative attention in some way because they don't do much to alleviate it.

You know the thing is Axl and gnr have been receiving more positive press in the past couple years for their performances then ever.I'm not saying Axl doesn't have bad nights,but he gets way more positive reviews now for his live singing then the old days. The negative attention is mostly on messages boards by a small number of people posting their opinions over and over and over again. This is a tiny percentage of the overall fanbase.Why address it?Guaranteed most of those fans went home from the Austrailia gig happy,which means much more than anything posted here or anywhere else.

He sounds awful. It makes me sad. I'm losing all hope with this shit.

Axl, you contribute nothing else to world of music these days. The least you can do is get your shit together for live shows. If they have to be shorter, make them shorter. If you have to do fewer shows, do fewer. Do whatever, but you can't do this to the GNR name.

Fuck it. Maybe it's already done. :shrugs:

He sounds awful. It makes me sad. I'm losing all hope with this shit.

Axl, you contribute nothing else to world of music these days. The least you can do is get your shit together for live shows. If they have to be shorter, make them shorter. If you have to do fewer shows, do fewer. Do whatever, but you can't do this to the GNR name.

Fuck it. Maybe it's already done. :shrugs:

lol, the tragedy

Edited by bumblecool