March 9th, 2013 - Perth, Australia

Guest Gunns

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember people, he is 51. A lot of people (not everyone) put on weight with age...just look at the whole cast from the sopranos.

He's not an actor...he's a rock star. I could give you an almost endless list of lead singers of his age (or older) that are still fit as f@ck. Age is not by itself a good excuse to let one go... That being said Axl is looking definitely better and less bloated than in late '12 and that has gotta be a good sign for the rest of the year. His vocals are not also that bad actually which surprised me. Here's to a great '13 Axl n'Roses!

Edited by trqster

My opinion is Axl was disappointed after a strong '09-'10 to come back to the US and not have any dates set up, so he kinda got depressed and said fuck it (there are quotes to this point, I cant remember the source). Thus, you have 2011 and 2012, where he was not only weak but listless and unfocused. I predict - and from Perth I think I might be right - that he is in better shape, more focused, and will put on good shows; however, you're not gonna see 2010-level voice because he is saving it, probably for a record. I truly believe he knows he can turn it on when he wants. His voice is very important and most people who go to gigs are there to have a good time, take a trip down memory lane, and GNR is merely capitalizing on this. Axl already proved he can still ROCK it live in 2010 and so he has nothing to prove and everything to lose by going 110% live again, as he did for much of '10.

This.

This 2010 romantic facination is completely blown out of proportion and getting worse.

It's just natural as it was such an outstanding year for Axl and his band. And as the years go by...it'll probably be even more talked about and considered nuGn'R golden year.

Without reading the 37 pages of the topic, I'm gonna throw out a guess of what made up a large portion of it.

4-5 posters saying how epic the show it was, how great Axl sounded, and how anybody who disagrees with them is a bitter ex-fan cupcake hater.

4-5 posters saying how terrible Axl sounded, how the set-list sucked and it's time for him to retire the name with dignity.

And then those two groups fighting.

Not trying to derail the thread, go wildly off topic or anything like that but I just saw the setlist for a recent Bon Jovi show and it kinda blew me away. Now, personally, I think the majority of Jovi's material post 1995 is cynical drivel with absolutely terribly, hokey lyrics designed to feed the monster and keep selling out Hyde Park etc. But the fact that they can go play an arena/stadium tour in 2013 and only play TWO classic hit songs (Prayer and Wanted) is friggin awesome. Axl is meant to be one of the few people in the business at this level who truly cares only about the music but his change in stance on setlists since his 1993 couldn't be more stark.

Have A Nice Day
Its My Life
What About Now
We Weren't Born To Follow
Lost Highway
The Distance
Thats What The Water Made Me
Make A Memory
Amen
Captain Crash
Army Of One
Happy Now
Everyday
I'm With You
Thorn In My Side
Bounce
Every Road Leads Home To You (Richie Sambora)
Who Says You Cant Go Home
Wanted

----------------------------------------
Thank You For Loving Me
I Love This Town
Living On A Prayer

2 Songs from the 80s and the rest post 2000

Not trying to derail the thread, go wildly off topic or anything like that but I just saw the setlist for a recent Bon Jovi show and it kinda blew me away. Now, personally, I think the majority of Jovi's material post 1995 is cynical drivel with absolutely terribly, hokey lyrics designed to feed the monster and keep selling out Hyde Park etc. But the fact that they can go play an arena/stadium tour in 2013 and only play TWO classic hit songs (Prayer and Wanted) is friggin awesome. Axl is meant to be one of the few people in the business at this level who truly cares only about the music but his change in stance on setlists since his 1993 couldn't be more stark.

Have A Nice Day

Its My Life

What About Now

We Weren't Born To Follow

Lost Highway

The Distance

Thats What The Water Made Me

Make A Memory

Amen

Captain Crash

Army Of One

Happy Now

Everyday

I'm With You

Thorn In My Side

Bounce

Every Road Leads Home To You (Richie Sambora)

Who Says You Cant Go Home

Wanted

----------------------------------------

Thank You For Loving Me

I Love This Town

Living On A Prayer

Bon Jovi... :rofl-lol: you are kidding right?

Check Queen + setlists.

bon jovi sucks post-2000 but that's a very brave thing to do.

The funny thing is that i've spent all day reading Dry County, the main Jovi board and it makes this place seem like a beacon of positivity towards Axl! I mean that seriously. With the exception of a few people who dislike Axl and New GNR altogether, most of the criticism here comes from people like me who LOVE Axl and want him to succeed on his own terms. On the Jovi board, at least 60% of the fans outright dislike Jon as a person because he's apparently such a dickhead ( not a dick like Axl, just a regular douche). They are absolutely brutalising everything Jon has written in the last 13 years and his attempts to turn Jovi into a serious songwriting band and garner critical acclaim like Springsteen, Waits, Cohen etc and they are trashing his now motionless live performances where he stands at his mic stand all night playing the journeyman and singing all recent middle-of-the-road storytelling songs with his shot-to-pieces voice whilst Richie skulks in the shadows, barely allowed to eek out a rock solo.

I just find it ironic that as recently as 2010, Axl was still arguably the most ferocious, virile rock frontman on the planet but he's done nothing with that except tour the hits whilst Jon's voice is erroded as he's putting 100% into his new material.

I posted the Jungle Rock Am Ring vid on the Jovi board and some of them were like 'Axl Rose is a prick but fuck me that's amazing, as a fan of Jon o'm jealous.'

What about Queen sets? Please educate me! And as I said, i'm not for a minute saying Jovi are great or whatever just...what I said.

yeah, i read those boards some times and they are not stupid, they see jon is an idiot. there's no negativity because everyone is smart enough to see things clearly. axl's army is like the justin biber fanbase but with older people, it's really pathetic.

This 2010 romantic facination is completely blown out of proportion and getting worse.

It's just natural as it was such an outstanding year for Axl and his band. And as the years go by...it'll probably be even more talked about and considered nuGn'R golden year.

Why were bad reviews more common then?And as you can probably remember alot of people who are now on the 2010 merrygoround were critisising just as much then about vocals.Yes there are some shows that can be better then others,but just for example based on the vids from the last show in Austrailia I would take the performances of NR and SC over the performances in 2010 that I've heard, but I do prefer Paradise city from 2010. Songs like CD,jungle,ISE,Brownstone,Nightrain,Patience,Heaven's door, SOD ie.are virtually identical from both periods.

Edited by cbgnr

bon jovi sucks post-2000 but that's a very brave thing to do.

The funny thing is that i've spent all day reading Dry County, the main Jovi board and it makes this place seem like a beacon of positivity towards Axl! I mean that seriously. With the exception of a few people who dislike Axl and New GNR altogether, most of the criticism here comes from people like me who LOVE Axl and want him to succeed on his own terms. On the Jovi board, at least 60% of the fans outright dislike Jon as a person because he's apparently such a dickhead ( not a dick like Axl, just a regular douche). They are absolutely brutalising everything Jon has written in the last 13 years and his attempts to turn Jovi into a serious songwriting band and garner critical acclaim like Springsteen, Waits, Cohen etc and they are trashing his now motionless live performances where he stands at his mic stand all night playing the journeyman and singing all recent middle-of-the-road storytelling songs with his shot-to-pieces voice whilst Richie skulks in the shadows, barely allowed to eek out a rock solo.

I just find it ironic that as recently as 2010, Axl was still arguably the most ferocious, virile rock frontman on the planet but he's done nothing with that except tour the hits whilst Jon's voice is erroded as he's putting 100% into his new material.

I posted the Jungle Rock Am Ring vid on the Jovi board and some of them were like 'Axl Rose is a prick but fuck me that's amazing, as a fan of Jon o'm jealous.'

What about Queen sets? Please educate me! And as I said, i'm not for a minute saying Jovi are great or whatever just...what I said.

Message boards are filled with all the people who know what everyone else should be doing.

Usually how it goes when you only have 2 "good" songs from the 80s that everybody has heard.

My point had nothing to do with whether you, I or anyone else likes any Bon Jovi songs. He's playing a bunch of songs few people know instead of Always, Saturday Night, Keep The Faith, Be My baby, It's My Life, Bad Name, Blaze of Glory, Bed of Roses etc etc etc

yeah, i read those boards some times and they are not stupid, they see jon is an idiot. there's no negativity because everyone is smart enough to see things clearly. axl's army is like the justin biber fanbase but with older people, it's really pathetic.

+1

Guest LarsNorwegw

Usually how it goes when you only have 2 "good" songs from the 80s that everybody has heard.

My point had nothing to do with whether you, I or anyone else likes any Bon Jovi songs. He's playing a bunch of songs few people know instead of Always, Saturday Night, Keep The Faith, Be My baby, It's My Life, Bad Name, Blaze of Glory, Bed of Roses etc etc etc

It's my life is on the list.