Dropping the Needle: Alan Niven talks GNR

AndreCC

Spin spin spin. Or just blame the 'drug addicts', right?

I mean, why support W. Axl Rose? Honest question to the people who continue to defend him.

- He doesn't give you fans any new music.

- His voice is now terrible and a mirror of what it once was.

- He has lost every decent band member he has ever worked with

- the current members he is working with a terrible compared to the prior musicians.

There is truly no reason to defend him!!

I do not understand it.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time someone secured this type of in depth interview about Chinese Democracy. That said, I don't think anybody involved with the record would be willing to open up about the process for at least a decade. Unless their association with Axl somehow came to an abrupt finish.

Regarding the interview, intriguing in parts yes, but it's essentially Niven plugging his own sense of ego throughout. He also slams Coma as Axl driven, yet it's well documented to be 'Slash's baby' also.

They also try to say Use Your Illusion is a more diluted version of what Axl was trying to achieve with Chinese Democracy. And that Illusions is in large part an Axl concept, and not a GN'R record, how do the reunionists feel about that?

Edited by NGOG

I mean, why support W. Axl Rose? Honest question to the people who continue to defend him.

Chinese Democracy

- His voice is now terrible and a mirror of what it once was.

You must not go to any shows then? Your opinion has no validity

People move one...bands change get over it already. Slash quit on his band, friends and fans....it's been over 15 years get the fuck over it.

- the current members he is working with a terrible compared to the prior musicians.

Keep telling yourself that. They are a great group of musicians that play the material better than the classic lineup. Deny it all you want but truth is the shows are an epic 3h extravaganza

Axl fans are truly warped. They could spin Vietnam into an American victory. Keep on spinning ginger lovers...

I can't believe there are still some people who tries to defend Axl about these kind of subjects. I can understand why would Jarmo, Beta and the "camp" would do it, because withouth Axl they're nothing, but fans on a forum? Wth?

This is what people like Alan's M.O. is. To start controversy and pit people against each other. This isn't about Slash and Axl. This is about Alan trying to stay in the spotlight by smearing Axl twenty plus years later. It's truly pathetic.

This is what people like Alan's M.O. is. To start controversy and pit people against each other. This isn't about Slash and Axl. This is about Alan trying to stay in the spotlight by smearing Axl twenty plus years later. It's truly pathetic.

I find Axl's lies more pathetic... Alan set the record straight and called him on his bullshit.

Chinese Democracy

>- His voice is now terrible and a mirror of what it once was.

People move one...bands change get over it already. Slash quit on his band, friends and fans....it's been over 15 years get the fuck over it.

Keep telling yourself that. They are a great group of musicians that play the material better than the classic lineup. Deny it all you want but truth is the shows are an epic 3h extravaganza

How can you say that a covering band, plays the original GNR songs better then the Original... in what planet did that ever took place?

1 Album in 20 years? are you kidding?

Anyone's opinion is valid, just because they don't agree with you, doesn't mean it's not as valid as yours. As a matter of fact, you're as biased as it can get...

Axl fans are truly warped. They could spin Vietnam into an American victory. Keep on spinning ginger lovers...

I can't believe there are still some people who tries to defend Axl about these kind of subjects. I can understand why would Jarmo, Beta and the "camp" would do it, because withouth Axl they're nothing, but fans on a forum? Wth?

Some people here never got to see the Original Band, and became fans of GNR because of Chinese Democracy... they saw the album, they liked it, bought it, and now they're here as GNR fans. Eventually they will pick up Appetite and realize what GNR really was!

This PG 13 version of GNR as nothing to do with GNR stands for...

Chinese Democracy

>>- His voice is now terrible and a mirror of what it once was.

lockquote>

>- He has lost every decent band member he has ever worked with

How can you say that a covering band, plays the original GNR songs better then the Original... in what planet did that ever took place?

1 Album in 20 years? are you kidding?

Anyone's opinion is valid, just because they don't agree with you, doesn't mean it's not as valid as yours. As a matter of fact, you're as biased as it can get...

Some people here never got to see the Original Band, and became fans of GNR because of Chinese Democracy... they saw the album, they liked it, bought it, and now they're here as GNR fans. Eventually they will pick up Appetite and realize what GNR really was!

This PG 13 version of GNR as nothing to do with GNR stands for...

What in the blue hell is PG13 GNR???? Buddy i seen the classic band and the new band. New shows have less mistakes and sounds tighter and more professional.

I HAVE SEEN BOTH LINEUPS.

Edited by volcano62

Saying the current line-up is better than the original is like saying Roger Water's band is better than Pink Floyd. It's just fucking stupid.

I have not seen Pink Floyd and/or Roger Waters live so I have no opinion on that.

I have seen 3 different GNR lineups and I think the current lineup blows away any lineup or band past and present.

Volcano, you like to claim you were a fan of REAL GNR but you're just lying. It only makes your gimmick more ridiculous. I didn't think that was even possible.

I don't have any gimmicks like you and your cupcake boyfriends.

I am a Guns N' Roses fan past and present.

Edited by volcano62

Saying the current line-up is better than the original is like saying Roger Water's band is better than Pink Floyd. It's just fucking stupid.

I have not seen Pink Floyd and/or Roger Waters live so I have no opinion on that.

I have seen 3 different GNR lineups and I think the current lineup blows away any lineup or band past and present.

Yeah sure, and if there's another line-up change you will say that it's better than what we have now. You're really something.

Yeah sure, and if there's another line-up change you will say that it's better than what we have now. You're really something.

So you can predict the future now? How are we to know unless it happens?

You're predictable that's all.

I think the current lineup blows away any lineup or band past and present.

Classic.

How cute...defending your little cupcake friends

You're predictable that's all.

As predictable as you and your cupcake friends....you guys posts the same shit day after day after day.

I see this thread has been buried again. Yet inane, childish topics about garbage remain in the main section. Lol

Have you noticed how he only responded after Axl said those things about him in the Adelaide article. Same with the other times Axl has blamed him for shit in the past, he's given an interview to set the record straight. Seems Axl is the one that is still living in the past and blaming shit and smearing people from 20+ years ago.

http://droppingtheneedle.com/some-additional-guns-n-roses-comments-from-alan-niven/

Alan Niven followed up with Dropping The Needle with some additional comments (dont shoot the messenger, lol).

I have been made aware of some of the comments made on various GnR sites. Some are clearly of a prejudiced nature, and there are many who dont seem to actually listen to what was actually said but such is the nature of forums.

The one comment I would respond to is the statement that there were obviously no meaningful [heart to heart] conversations between Axl and myself, or him and the others for that matter. That could not be further from the truth;

There were countless such conversations and phone calls -

one of the last ones I had with Axl, I was trying to explain to him the dynamic he was engendering that he tended to intimidate people that his method made people defensive and alienated, that he came off like a bit of a dick - even if that was not his intent and purpose and I suggested he think thru how he talked to people and for him to consider how fearful people were of him . whether that was his fault or not I tried to empower his communication skills by illuminating his understanding the very next call I had from him, was his call to say he wouldnt work with me anymore so maybe that was his intent after all.

When Izzy travelled to LA to try to talk Axl into attending the Hall Of Fame event, Axl failed to show for the pre-arranged meeting. Les plus sont changes les moins sont changes.

Alan Niven followed up with Dropping The Needle with some additional comments (dont shoot the messenger, lol).

I have been made aware of some of the comments made on various GnR sites. Some are clearly of a prejudiced nature, and there are many who dont seem to actually listen to what was actually said but such is the nature of forums.

The one comment I would respond to is the statement that there were obviously no meaningful [heart to heart] conversations between Axl and myself, or him and the others for that matter. That could not be further from the truth;

one of the last ones I had with Axl, I was trying to explain to him the dynamic he was engendering that he tended to intimidate people that his method made people defensive and alienated, that he came off like a bit of a dick - even if that was not his intent and purpose and I suggested he think thru how he talked to people and for him to consider how fearful people were of him . whether that was his fault or not I tried to empower his communication skills by illuminating his understanding the very next call I had from him, was his call to say he wouldnt work with me anymore so maybe that was his intent after all.

When Izzy travelled to LA to try to talk Axl into attending the Hall Of Fame event, Axl failed to show for the pre-arranged meeting. Les plus sont changes les moins sont changes.

So it goes.

Why did you guys take the most popular GNR thread on the board and move it to a section that almost nobody reads? Axl's put out one new original album in twenty plus years. New GNR isn't worthy of their own section anymore.

Couldn't agree more Randy. It's absolutely disgraceful that news and stories that relate to the people who established the band with Axl, and give life to the nu guys' careers get the shit end of the stick in the basement of the forum.

It's almost nauseating that the housekeepers birthday is deemed more GNR news worthy than this. Beyond fucking ridiculous.

I see this thread has been buried again. Yet inane, childish topics about garbage remain in the main section. Lol

Have you noticed how he only responded after Axl said those things about him in the Adelaide article. Same with the other times Axl has blamed him for shit in the past, he's given an interview to set the record straight. Seems Axl is the one that is still living in the past and blaming shit and smearing people from 20+ years ago.

http://droppingtheneedle.com/some-additional-guns-n-roses-comments-from-alan-niven/

Interesting that Izzy tried to talk Axl into attending the HOF, guess that means he would have gone if Axl did and seemingly wanted to go. He must put his relationship with Axl before anything else.

I find Axl's lies more pathetic... Alan set the record straight and called him on his bullshit.
What did Axl lie about? We cant actually know whos lying. Niven according Axl wanted to fire him so Axl wanted to get rid of him. Maybe it was Niv blackmailing David Geffen that made them think he should be fired.

The idea that Axl wanted to take over the band and make everyone quit seems unlikely. He just wanted them semi sober, not going to die on him leaving him with nothing or firing him.

Its like hey its hilarious we were high and completely unprofessional! rock n roll! then burst into tears when Axl is late.

Cut the drama and the bullshit. Stop caring so much about comments that came from a fkn manager that's gone. He's getting the attention that he wanted you pathetic old bitter fanboys to give to him. I dont know what he said, I dont care and honestly... fuck him. He's a nobody now. Nobody cares about him, so he must comment on something that happened two decades ago. Pathetic, truly pathetic and laughable. You don't have to discuss other people's lives let alone accuse someone of being asshole or mental ill. In fact that's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.