A blunt review of the Sydney show

Screamin' Demon

As usual I had the luck of front barrier centre position. Rose Tattoo came on at about 6 and Angry Anderson was absolutely on fire. They cut through their classics like a hot knife through butter. Although we'd all been disappointed by the shortness of the setlist, all screaming that we want more, we'd been more than satisfied by the fiery performance. Next came ZZ Top and continued to pound the arena with rocking tunes, even including their new song I Gotsa Get Paid. That, along with My Head's In Mississippi were my favourite moments. Upon finishing their set I'd felt like a blessing had come over me that day. Ten out of ten for both sets I said, adding that the only one who can fuck the score up now is Axl.

"Gn'R" came on before 9 and they didn't have that same fieriness as of 2010. They clearly seem tired of the incessant touring, just wanting to make new music and a name for themselves, besides Axl who's already covered all his bases. He wasn't in the fittest shape & had been hiding himself behind his hats, sunnies & leather jacket pretty much the whole show. For the most part from Chinese Democracy up to and includnig You Could Be Mine the show was pretty enjoyable. Estranged and in particular Catcher In The Rye were very nice to hear, for I'd never heard them live before. The latter definitely works better for a setlist staple than Street Of Dreams and had been a song I'd been looking forward to hearing live ever since it got stapled at the Las Vegas shows. However, despite his on and off raspy moments, his Mickey Mouse voice that had been plaguing the latter part of this tour definitely made its presence and was certainly god awful to listen to in some moments. Following You Could Be Mine & DJ's Mi Amor solo which wasn't too bad at all, they played four ballads sequentially and I swear I could have just about gone to sleep. Of all the cons of the show this was definitely the worst, it brought down the mood of the show for a whole half hour or so, not to mention all the unnecessary guitar solos. As if that was not enough, then Axl called us all to sing Beta happy birthday. It's already known well that she's the one keeping Axl down and hindering him as well as preventing a reunion, so being asked to sing her happy birthday? Get the fuck outa here! By Nightrain I'd already felt the effects of my eratic rocking up & down to selected songs as well as consistently to the opening acts. Following Patience did come a surprise, The Seeker, which I must admit had been uplifting and good to see Axl all over it. Apart from this and a few other moments mentioned, it was also good to see Axl cracking jokes throughout the show. As always, they finished their set with Paradise City and that was it.

To conclude, I'm not surprised that the ticket sales weren't what they could have been for the show, but one can safely say that she show was OK, despite the criticism I have given it. If Axl however wants to gain more fans rather than losing them he should end the incessant touring, get to the studio, get a new album out and be more physically recreative. The show felt very tired and lacked the fieriness of 2010. I'd say that 6/10 is an appropriate score for the "Gn'R" part of the show this time around.

This is a blunt review, no pulling punches. Anybody who knows me knows that it's not in my character to be reserved in judgement regarding what I honestly think about something, so if my review pisses off some Axlites....too fuckin' bad!

Edited by Screamin' Demon

Sorry Screamin Deamon but I thought Axl & the band sounded great. I dont think he was in better shape than Sydney December 2010 though. A few years older and not really any better fitness wise but he gave it his all and still has plenty of venom in him. Good to see him laughing and cracking jokes too!

I know a guy who works at the venue and he stated that around 7000 tickets were sold. Not a sell out by any means but still a good crowd for this day and age!

When I started to read I felt a bit bummed that you didn't like it. BUT then I read this:

I already know well that she's the one keeping Axl down and hindering him as well as preventing a reunion,

Now I know that whatever you say cannot be taken seriously.

Cheers to psychotic people :popcorn:

This is a review from someone who is mad at Axl, doubt he was even there. And if he was, it was biased. I am apathetic about Axl and old GNR, and he sounds fine and plays three hours shows. I have no idea what people want from him.

a review can only really be a personal opinion. I can see how that could be how some people feel, especially if you've been a multiple shows are just au fait with what GNR do show to show. I think if I went now it would be the CD tracks and new covers like The Seeker that would pique my interest. Or if Izzy or Angus came on stage.

This is a review from someone who is mad at Axl, doubt he was even there. And if he was, it was biased. I am apathetic about Axl and old GNR, and he sounds fine and plays three hours shows. I have no idea what people want from him.

i agree. i was at Perth on the barrier last weekend and we got pushed about quite a bit - not in a bad way just in a fan way. Strange different city and completely diff crowd

Hi I understand that may be your experience of the concert. I had a completely different one. I saw Axl last May when I lived in Dublin and I really didn't know what to expect but he was the real deal and more. When anyone talks about stage presence and sincerity in performance Axl is first thing I think about. I, like lot of fans was angry and disappointed it with Axl when he didn't attend RARHF. I really wanted to see him accept award coz he deserved to be praised and honored after years of bad press etc.. (some of his own doing but anyway!) However seeing him live completely changed my mind-he's a total showman, powerful and looked fragile at times when he was singing and it was heartbreaking! It just looked like he really cared about putting on a good show. The mickey mouse voice was not audible at all! I atch don't understand how people can bash him anymore after seeing him in concert as he's total rock legend. Clearly his rock peers, journalists and fans who bash him have never seen him live before!

No offense, but how do you know yours is a "more honest" review than others?

Ali

Thanks for the review. Your take seems much closer to reality than some of the other reports.

i see, i'ts so much closer to your reality.

D'awwwwww! You guys are just hilarious really y'are! The dude attends the show which I'm guessing none of you did and writes a review which seems to tally pretty well with the press reviews and videos we've seen so far and just because he's not slobbering all over Axl's nutsack you accuse him of making it all up. :lol: I mean I can't see how you can even argue with certain points there to be honest (well I can because it's Gunzen, Ali and the little boy whose balls haven't dropped yet). He compared it unfavourably with the 2010 shows which seems to be something of a bone of contention amongst you but it's pretty well accepted that 2009/10 was the best Axl's sounded in years and anybody with ears knows that he's not been back on that kinda form since. If you rated the 2010 show at an 8 or a 9 then why is it giving a biased and innacurate review to mark this as a 6 when it's clearly inferior (worse voice, shorter setlist etc) to anybody not permanently clamped to Axl's nutsack? :shrugs:

Clearly his rock peers, journalists and fans who bash him have never seen him live before!

Do you really think that's the case or do you think that in a lot of cases it may be because they have seen him live before when he was much better?

Edited by Dazey

No offense, but how do you know yours is a "more honest" review than others?

Ali

>This is a review from someone who is mad at Axl, doubt he was even there. And if he was, it was biased. I am apathetic about Axl and old GNR, and he sounds fine and plays three hours shows. I have no idea what people want from him.

Thanks for the review. Your take seems much closer to reality than some of the other reports.

i see, i'ts so much closer to your reality.

D'awwwwww! You guys are just hilarious really y'are! The dude attends the show which I'm guessing none of you did and writes a review which seems to tally pretty well with the press reviews and videos we've seen so far and just because he's not slobbering all over Axl's nutsack you accuse him of making it all up. :lol: I mean I can't see how you can even argue with certain points there to be honest (well I can because it's Gunzen, Ali and the little boy whose balls haven't dropped yet). He compared it unfavourably with the 2010 shows which seems to be something of a bone of contention amongst you but it's pretty well accepted that 2009/10 was the best Axl's sounded in years and anybody with ears knows that he's not been back on that kinda form since. If you rated the 2010 show at an 8 or a 9 then why is it giving a biased and innacurate review to mark this as a 6 when it's clearly inferior (worse voice, shorter setlist etc) to anybody not permanently clamped to Axl's nutsack? :shrugs:

Clearly his rock peers, journalists and fans who bash him have never seen him live before!

Do you really think that's the case or do you think that in a lot of cases it may be because they have seen him live before when he was much better?

I can understand if someone has seen him when he was younger and more energy and better vocals but they obvipously can't acept that Axl ages and changes just like everone. I find performers much more interesting inn their older years when they been around and experienced life and interesting stories to tell. I think there's a real beauty in that and that was very much evident in Axl now and at the Dublin concert.

I can understand if someone has seen him when he was younger and more energy and better vocals but they obvipously can't acept that Axl ages and changes just like everone. I find performers much more interesting inn their older years when they been around and experienced life and interesting stories to tell.

I don't understand what you mean by that. At least I don't understand it because it makes no sense in relation to Axl. Yes you're right about older artists evolving and bringing that wealth of life experience to their work and yes it can be a fantastic thing but to do that you actually have to release new material. I mean how can you say that you think this performance was all the better because of all the additional life experience Axl's had and all the interesting stories he's got to tell when he tells exactly none of those stories and the vast majority of the set is made up of songs that are over 20 years old? Axl may well have a plethora of new and interesting stories and experiences to share but until we get to hear some of it then the only thing we see as evidence of his advancing years is the decline in quality of performances. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey

Does anyone know if the Melbourne concert is an all standing outdoor thing or can you get seats? Thanks!

The front section is 25 rows of seats which is separated from the general admission which is the gill behind.

I can understand if someone has seen him when he was younger and more energy and better vocals but they obvipously can't acept that Axl ages and changes just like everone. I find performers much more interesting inn their older years when they been around and experienced life and interesting stories to tell.

I don't understand what you mean by that. At least I don't understand it because it makes no sense in relation to Axl. Yes you're right about older artists evolving and bringing that wealth of life experience to their work and yes it can be a fantastic thing but to do that you actually have to release new material. I mean how can you say that you think this performance was all the better because of all the additional life experience Axl's had and all the interesting stories he's got to tell when he tells exactly none of those stories and the vast majority of the set is made up of songs that are over 20 years old? Axl may well have a plethora of new and interesting stories and experiences to share but until we get to hear some of it then the only thing we see as evidence of his advancing years is the decline in quality of performances. :shrugs:

I'm talking about The way Axl sings some of the songs in particular Patience, his voice has a richness and depth to it htat he didn't have in his younger years. I keep saying I wish he would sing in his natural voice all the time coz he sounds amazing esp at Bridge school benefit in amazing vocal in vid here! http://youtu.be/4uhm9aTNKqU

Edited by Janis

I've seen and enjoyed a Bob Dylan show. I can take danger. It's not really a singing contest it's GNR show, it's not American Idol. oooh he was a bit pitchy there. who cares, in fact the worse the vocal the better I like it. Take it way up like Mickey and way down like Waits. Go to extremes!

When I started to read I felt a bit bummed that you didn't like it. BUT then I read this:

I already know well that she's the one keeping Axl down and hindering him as well as preventing a reunion,

Now I know that whatever you say cannot be taken seriously.

Cheers to psychotic people :popcorn: