Axl 06/07 better than 2010?

Young_Gun

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe i hadn't heard that Sailing from 2006, just watched it on youtube then.

Jesus Christ, that was unreal. I've never heard him put so much into a song before.

Yeah it is an incredble performance. I personally view it as a benchmark of Axl's vocals post-2001 - it has the perfect amounts of rasp, range, and power behind it :thumbsup:

2006-2007 was great, I know things probably weren't going well for Axl trying to negotiate the release of CD but I think it was a cross between the outlandish GNR from 2001/2002 and the more conventional GNR lineup/setup now. Not saying he isn't enjoying it now, but I think Axl still had that drive to prove himself and the band, he was still a bit of a mystery coming out of the hiatus, as well as the tied braids and sunglasses, which I thought gave him a bit of a sci-fi look.

So I guess you could pick out one video on youtube and say, "See, look how great he sounds in 2006 vs. 2010." But from someone who saw multiple shows during both time periods, 2010 was the better year for Axl fans in terms of vocal prowess. If you want to debate physicality, appearance or fashion (none of which are any interest to me), that's on you.

I honestly don't care about your wealth of shows to brag about. It absolutely is possible to compare top vocal performances on particular songs. It demonstrates what he was or is capable of. There were songs specific to his style back in 2006 and more recently there are also individual tracks which he excells on. The reality is that the peak Axl of 2006, every aspect of his character considered (and yes more superficial qualities come into that equation), is superior to Axl's more recent optimum displays.

He hasn't had another moment which equals the sheer power of Hammerstein.

So I guess you could pick out one video on youtube and say, "See, look how great he sounds in 2006 vs. 2010." But from someone who saw multiple shows during both time periods, 2010 was the better year for Axl fans in terms of vocal prowess. If you want to debate physicality, appearance or fashion (none of which are any interest to me), that's on you.

I honestly don't care about your wealth of shows to brag about. It absolutely is possible to compare top vocal performances on particular songs. It demonstrates what he was or is capable of. There were songs specific to his style back in 2006 and more recently there are also individual tracks which he excells on. The reality is that the peak Axl of 2006, every aspect of his character considered (and yes more superficial qualities come into that equation), is superior to Axl's more recent optimum displays.

He hasn't had another moment which equals the sheer power of Hammerstein.

Sorry, were you physically present at a Hammerstein Ballroom? If not, then you really need to STFU. The OP was asking which year was better, 2006 or 2010. Yeah, I'm sure there were individual moments or perhaps a song or two that Axl at one particular show or another performed better in 2006 than in 2010. But on the whole, based on the multiple shows I saw for each given year, it was is my assessment that he was in better form vocally in 2010.

Or you can be douche and make judgement calls based on random video clips on youtube.

And we're not talking about more recent optimum days. 2010 was three years ago.

I'm not actually sure why I'm even bothering responding to such nonsense.