Do You Think The 3 Current GNR Guitarists Are Capable of Making Unforgettable Guitar Solos?

ChristmasFnatic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. DJ, sadly, is the poppiest. Unfortunately its the kind you'd expect from...Fallout Boy or some shit. What exactly is "demented" about DJ other than the fact he keeps telling us he is? Everything about him screams "stereotype." But that might mean he can speak to the masses!

Fortus always manages to leave something to be desired despite having plenty of skill and chops and great tone.

BBF on the other hand does entirely too much. But his solo on CITR at L'Arc was the best thing I've heard him play. For me, that one is unforgettable, more than anything since BH. Also I recall a CW solo - I think it was between the 1st and 3rd time they performed it - which was quite good. Then it de-volved into digitized noodly mess.

but Ashba and Bumblefoot are not very good.

Keep throwing up your propaganda and believing your own bullshit while the rest of us (besides your cupcake friends) enjoy the real world.

You took the wrong coloured pill Volcano.

I truly believe that Axl & Slash are the only combo that could produce some magic guitar solos once again

Buckethead TWAT? Finck Better? Axl has a unique ability to prize solos out of guitarists by giving them the foundations of a song. Slash since GNR has struggled to prize those solos out of himself. Axl will bring the best out of Dj and Bumble, GNR will give them the opportunity to produce career highlights.

I dont think a solo can save a song. Im not even sure if they are needed.

I think aside from the genius of Axl, guitar moments are one of the most gratifying aspects of GNR.
I just think if the song doesnt set up the solo it doesnt work. Sometimes a breakdown works as well as a solo.

Focused BBF kicks ass.

Always loved Fortus's clean sound jams, either before PC or during Heaven's Door. He is a tasty player.

This. Not so sure about Fortus' soloing in general, haven't heard anything that he created, but since 2006 he became a much tastier player to the point that I'd love to see him work with Ron. All of their jams are absolutely the best.

I don't think people can base their opinions on Bumblefoot playing over a solo on a song he didn't write. A lot of people said that durring the CD sessions, new musicians were to play it exactly how axl wanted, except for the original writers of the material.

All 3, fortus, bumble, and ashba are good guitarists, but we have never heard them write together on a GnR song, so how can we tell whether or not they can make a good GnR song or not?

Axl's pretty good at taking the best out of his guitarists. So even though I haven't been all that impressed by Ashba's guitar solos so far, I'm sure Axl's capable of getting the best out of him and Bumblefoot and Fortus too. So I wouldn't be surprised if we'll get to hear new unforgettable guitar solos on the next albums.

Memorable music is created from much more than just talent. It's no coincidence that a lot of the best music is driven by the fire and passion of youth, people who are just discovering themselves, have something to shout about and are rebelling against a seemingly adult and oppressive world. Once you are older, successful and comfortable it's much harder to replicate that. The pay off is usually that people find themselves in a much happier, contented place.

That's maybe the most insightful thing I have read here. I could not agree more. Thinking that talent or competence can replace passion and determination is a little naive in my opinion. Since nuGuns first started I have heard all about what great musicians Axl assembled. Which is true. But all those guys have been seasoned pros/session musicians. To expect them to do what the old guys did is unrealistic at best. Even the old guys couldn't do it again in quite the same way, thus the breakup in the 90s.

Also true is that most of these guys are no doubt, better adjusted, not passed out or strung out all the time and prob have nice family lives, etc. Except Axl ironically, who seems to not really have evolved much since the UYI days.

What's an epic gothic solo? Is it a guitar solo played with a Les Paul, Marshall, pentatonic scales and a wah pedal by a guy in cheesy rocker hot topic looking clothing?

Solo's that are still relevant 25 yrs+ after they were recorded......unlike anything by some dude in a jason kockey mask w a KFC bucket on his head that lives in a chicken coop and puts num chucks up his ass

No.

I am beating the dead horse again, but Buckethead is the only guitarist from the new GnR era that could have done so and did so on CD. Buble just ruined the songs he put on leads, Catcher was really poor work from him - I will never understand why that "solo" replaced Brian Mays one.

It's called ROYALTIES and LOYALTIES.

Axl probably didn't want to shell out more royalties to an outsider. And Axl probably wanted to make BBF feel a part of CD and the GnR family.

That will rival those from SCoM, Estranged, end of November Rain, etc.?

They have all the time in the world to make one eh? And with the 3 of them helping eachother, surely they can.

What are you smokin?

Slash's solo are all just cheap pentantonic or blues scale solos. OVERRATED!

Every song on CD has a guitar solo that kicks azz and blows everything Slash has ever done with old-GnR and in his solo projects. What makes the CD solos brilliant is that they don't sound like cheap pentantonic or blues scale solos.

What's an epic gothic solo? Is it a guitar solo played with a Les Paul, Marshall, pentatonic scales and a wah pedal by a guy in cheesy rocker hot topic looking clothing?

Solo's that are still relevant 25 yrs+ after they were recorded......unlike anything by some dude in a jason kockey mask w a KFC bucket on his head that lives in a chicken coop and puts num chucks up his ass

Relevant says who?

The alternative rock era pooped all over Slash style solos. Even Slash has adapted to try to make his solos sound like Soundgarden! LOL

What makes the CD solos brilliant is that they don't sound like cheap pentantonic or blues scale solos.

That's not always the answer though, just because Yngwie and Randy Rhoads came along, didn't render Eric Clapton or David Gilmour any less of an influence.

Anyone who says Slash is only just blues and pentatonic clearly does not know music theory. Or his whole catalogue. Hell take the SCOM solo - much more modal notes being played than just the 5 pentatonic notes with added tensions from the blue notes.

For another example Obsession Confession is harmonic minor with borrowed mode mixture from natural minor. No "simple blues scale" there.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot who this guy was. His posting history shows he is obsessed with this Slash dude.

Every song on CD has a guitar solo that kicks azz and blows everything Slash has ever done with old-GnR and in his solo projects

You are entitled to that opinion but trying to establish a sense of musical superiority over an opinion like your posts try to do is silly

Edited by WhazUp

Every song on CD has a guitar solo that kicks azz and blows everything Slash has ever done with old-GnR and in his solo projects

You are entitled to that opinion but trying to establish a sense of musical superiority over an opinion like your posts try to do is silly

especially when the CD solos really weren't that memorable.

That will rival those from SCoM, Estranged, end of November Rain, etc.?

They have all the time in the world to make one eh? And with the 3 of them helping eachother, surely they can.

What are you smokin?

Slash's solo are all just cheap pentantonic or blues scale solos. OVERRATED!

Every song on CD has a guitar solo that kicks azz and blows everything Slash has ever done with old-GnR and in his solo projects. What makes the CD solos brilliant is that they don't sound like cheap pentantonic or blues scale solos.

>

Relevant says who?

The alternative rock era pooped all over Slash style solos. Even Slash has adapted to try to make his solos sound like Soundgarden! LOL

Trying too hard

2/10

Memorable as in what? Critically acclaimed or POP CULTURE hype?

If you were really objective, you would admit that Slash's solos post GnR are actually better than his GnR stuff.

Even I can admit that. I mean, his solos on MJ's "Given to Me" blows NR and Estrange out of the water!

Slash is better on his own and not a part of Axl's band.

So why do people not find Slash's post-GnR solos memorable?

Because GnR stop being a POP CULTURE sensation post 1992! Slash isn't a POP STAR anymore post Michael Jackson! So nobody cares about his new stuff.

So if you were truly objective, you could get your head out of your stinky 1987 butt hole and actually be able to admit that the solos for AFD-to-UYI are so 1980s dated because Slash was just ripping off Joe Perry.

Zero innovation at all. Not even an honest attempt to be unique and different.

Edited by gnrfan2007

If you were really objective, you would admit that Slash's solos post GnR are actually better than his GnR stuff.

How so? Because still "better" is something that is indeed subjective. You can talk about technique and theory but all in all that does not constitute "better" over something different or more simplistic than that because of the realm of natural subjectivity

Which is why this whole bashing Slash's playing on your end just comes across as trying too hard to cupcake people who enjoy a guitarist.

Edited by WhazUp

I actually do think that there are some memorable solos on CD such as TWAT and even the This I Love solo, those two especially are ones that have always stood out to me