Best underrated American rock band of the 70s?

machinegunner

I'd be pretty sure anything that was good in the 70's was rated.

Maybe, but i like checking out stuff that is new to me. So keep 'em coming. Just name some bands.

On a side note: Like there is this old 70's band that I've seen their album cover in the used record shop and it's a painting of a medieval kind of warrior on a tough looking war horse and I forget the name of the band... does anyone know what I'm talking about? I should have bought it on the basis of that cover alone.

Edited by machinegunner

Guest Len B'stard

I'd be pretty sure anything that was good in the 70's was rated. Don't think Johnny Thunders suffers from a lack of love, does he?

Lack of love is putting it lightly, listen to the album L.A.M.F. Johnathan and tell me if it ain't the most bangin'est fuckin' album you ever heard. I think it was Nick Kent out of the NME who wrote that L.A.M.F, Raw Power and The Dolls debut were the only albums out of 70s rock n roll before punk exploded that really fullfilled the promise of what people were expecting from rock n roll in the 70s and here in 2013 with the benefit of hindsight, i think i can safely add that they were the only ones that ever cut it.

Guest Len B'stard

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, their album L.A.M.F. is one of the greatest pure rock n roll records ever made.

i bought that album because of you :lol:

saint vitus gets my vote.

Did you like it? :)

The Doobie Brothers?

Grand Funk Railroad? (Hommer Simpson's favourite)

Bachman Turner Overdrive?

Any others that come to mind that are not too proggy or psychedelic? I've been sampling some stuff by these bands lately and it's pretty cool.

BTO were from Canada.

It doesn't matter, they sang in English and thus appealed to The United States.

Anyway, can you comment on whether you think they were(/are?) any good or not?

Btw, I remembered this band and will be checking them out shortly, Molly Hatchet, a southern blues kind of band often compared to Lynyrd Skynyrd:

http://image.lyricspond.com/image/m/artist-molly-hatchet/album-molly-hatchet/cd-cover.jpg

Blondie as a band gets way overlooked because of the hit songs, but they were one of the best bands out of CBGBs.

Todd Rundgren solo and with Utopia would be pretty high on overlooked artists. Most of his band and some of the E Street Band were Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" band.

I don't think Iggy Pop was getting much attention during the Bowie collaboration period, I think that stuff became bigger in time when people rediscovered it.

Things were FIERCELY competitive with musicians in the 70s and a lot of good ones never made it to the next level, the thread about Sugar Man covered some of that... it's a being in the right place at the right time for a lot of people.

The Beach Boys in the early- mid 70s were putting out great albums and Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue is a cult classic. I think the songs held up and get overlooked but I think that period had a fair amount of good songs - then everything went downhill.

Funkadelic (excluding Parliament and P-Funk here) - solid albums with a groove. It unraveled at the end of the decade.

Devo's always been underrated, victim to a novelty hit.

Hall and Oates and Cheap Trick - overlooked because of shitty hit songs.

J Geils Band was also one of the best live bands of the 70s, another victim of a novelty hit (Peter Wolf left right after "Centerfold").

To me, underrated means people should listen to it more, and not because a handful of critics think we should. From time to time they find a gem that got lost, have the record company polish it up and reissue it.

I just think there's bands who had hit songs but they did more damage to the back catalog than good.

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, their album L.A.M.F. is one of the greatest pure rock n roll records ever made.

i bought that album because of you :lol:

saint vitus gets my vote.

Did you like it? :)

very much so. :headbang:

Edited by bran

Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers is phenomenal.

They were fairly big though, all over the radio.

Yeah, my favorite album didn't have a hit though (Livin' on the Fault Line). I think if anything that work is underrated today. I'm only living right now so its hard to see differently sometimes.

I guess based on the here and now, then, yeah I can see that.

I saw that line up a couple of times live back then, fairly large crowds, massive response to their shows (they were damn good live).

Definitely not an obscure or underapprecited line up when they were on top of the charts at the time.