Does anyone else feel Gilby could've made some great music with GNR if given the chance?

Vincent Vega

Does anyone else feel Gilby could've made some great music with GNR if given he'd been given the chance to write and record? His solo album is the best GN'R solo record and he had the same stylistic roots and influences as Izzy, but more of a modern twist which would've better suited GN'R in the '90s. He had a more Beatle-esque sound, which would've helped GN'R compete with the poppy Grunge bands as well as enhance Axl's vision (imagine Gilby on a song like Catcher for example). Gilby will always be a GN'R member to me.

Just by listening to Pawnshop Guitars I think he would have wrote a few gems for GNR.

Yeah, and chances are some of the ideas from him that were rejected, ended up on that album.

Definately. He had great chemistry with Slash on tracks like Tijuana and Cure Me.

I think it was very very difficult to find someone good enough to replace Izzy and I think they found the best possible substitute, so yes, I think it was a mistake not giving him a chance. He's written some pretty decent songs.

Is it true that Axl once said he didn't think Gilby could write songs worthy of being on a GnR album? Or was it that he fired Gilby because he didn´t feel he was a good songwriter? Well, that seems a weird thing to do, considering Gilby's first solo effort. It´s a great album, imho.

Is it true that Axl once said he didn't think Gilby could write songs worthy of being on a GnR album? Or was it that he fired Gilby because he didn´t feel he was a good songwriter? Well, that seems a weird thing to do, considering Gilby's first solo effort. It´s a great album, imho.

That's the story I've always heard, but I can't recall any specific quotes.

"After a few months during which everyone did their own thing and we got nothing done when we met, Axl fired Gilby without consulting anyone. His rationale was that Gilby had always been a hired hand and that he couldn't write with him."

(Slash, Autobiography)

"The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us."

(Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)

"For a while there, I contributed a lot [to the would-be Snakepit demos]. But now, I don't know how much I'm going to contribute. Like I said, Axl pretty much threw a wrench into everything. He didn't like what we were all doing."

(Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

"And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it."

"Matt: When it was Gilby, humm, when I learned that he was fired, it was difficult. There was Slash, Duff and Axl, the 3 original members of the band and they said they had to tell me. I didn't knew what to say. It's their band and I didn't knew how to react. I said OK.

H.R.: You didn't care?

Matt: Absolutely not! He's a great guy. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough."

(Matt, 1996)

"After a few months during which everyone did their own thing and we got nothing done when we met, Axl fired Gilby without consulting anyone. His rationale was that Gilby had always been a hired hand and that he couldn't write with him."

(Slash, Autobiography)

"The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us."

"For a while there, I contributed a lot [to the would-be Snakepit demos]. But now, I don't know how much I'm going to contribute. Like I said, Axl pretty much threw a wrench into everything. He didn't like what we were all doing."

(Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

"And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it."

"Matt: When it was Gilby, humm, when I learned that he was fired, it was difficult. There was Slash, Duff and Axl, the 3 original members of the band and they said they had to tell me. I didn't knew what to say. It's their band and I didn't knew how to react. I said OK.

H.R.: You didn't care?

Matt: Absolutely not! He's a great guy. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough."

(Matt, 1996)

Thanks. On second thought I have seen most of those.

Edited by luciusfunk

I think Gilby would have been good tonwrite more traditional sounding rock album. Like Appetite or Lies (acoustic songs). Dont think he has the chops or skill to do a Chinese Democracy type album. Not sure if Izzy could have done it either, probably not. Its not his style to begin with or Gilbys.

Over all I like Gilbys playing. His early solo albums arent to bad. Im glad he at least got to do TSI with GnR.