Who is the most intellectual member of GNR?

sailaway

Career wise you would have to say DJ, as he has tried to create a brand outside of music, excluding bumblefoot's hot sauce none of the other members have done that. I believe that Axl sees himself as and wants to be intellectual, but as much as I love the guy, either he's made a lot of monumental mistakes or has been fucked over by a lot of people, and books and art aside you can't call that intellectual. I imagine all of these guys are intelligent, intelligence doesn't have to be science or math, probably the deepest intelligence is art and if they would release a new song once in a fucking while maybe we would know who is intelligent and have more interesting shit to talk about.

So, by your logic if a new song is released it will prove beyond a doubt who is more intelligent.

And I thought the Rorsharch test was a waste of time :blink:

I'm pretty sure those are your words and not mine, my point is something else entirely.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Career wise you would have to say DJ, as he has tried to create a brand outside of music, excluding bumblefoot's hot sauce none of the other members have done that. I believe that Axl sees himself as and wants to be intellectual, but as much as I love the guy, either he's made a lot of monumental mistakes or has been fucked over by a lot of people, and books and art aside you can't call that intellectual. I imagine all of these guys are intelligent, intelligence doesn't have to be science or math, probably the deepest intelligence is art and if they would release a new song once in a fucking while maybe we would know who is intelligent and have more interesting shit to talk about.

So, by your logic if a new song is released it will prove beyond a doubt who is more intelligent.And I thought the Rorsharch test was a waste of time :blink:

I'm pretty sure those are your words and not mine, my point is something else entirely.

I used your quote, but maybe I misunderstood what you intended to say.

I actually do like your observation that art is perhaps the deepest intelligence.

I think Fortus could be. He studies Eastern philosophies and is very methodical. Doesn't use a lot of words, although occassionally he drops a formidable big word without blinking an eye. And he uses correct italian music terms and pronounces them properly... seems quite learned.

You may very well be right^^^ astute observation :thumbsup:

In my experience most musicians are usually quite intelligent. I remember reading a study that linked the ability to read music and play an instrument to improved abilities in other studies such as mathematics.

Lateral thought ability is an inherent trait in most highly creative people, but make no mistake, some are dumb as a bag of hammers. No names , the trick is surrounding urself with people who are smart/trustworthy ...

OK..............all insults and personal grudges aside.

Warchild. Soul. Can you just answer the simple questions?

SO again..............instead of saying that Axl is the most intelligent band member because he likes to read...........how do you know this? How do you know that he is an avid reader and that the books he are reading aren't westerns and romance novels?

In my experience most musicians are usually quite intelligent. I remember reading a study that linked the ability to read music and play an instrument to improved abilities in other studies such as mathematics.

Lateral thought ability is an inherent trait in most highly creative people, but make no mistake, some are dumb as a bag of hammers. No names , the trick is surrounding urself with people who are smart/trustworthy ...

Well, there is intellectual ability and common sense and not everyone has both.

OK..............all insults and personal grudges aside.

Warchild. Soul. Can you just answer the simple questions?

SO again..............instead of saying that Axl is the most intelligent band member because he likes to read...........how do you know this? How do you know that he is an avid reader and that the books he are reading aren't westerns and romance novels?

Again, it is a matter of perspective, I asked who was the most intellectual member in GNRs, it isn't that difficult to comprehend, have been some interesting observations so far...

Curious about the fixation with Westerns And Romance novels, Is that your preferred genre?

A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Edited by sailaway

Well, there is intellectual ability and common sense and not everyone has both.

And some aren't dealt a reasonable amount of either one, Genetics/environment/chemical imbalances can undoubtedly Make or break you.Got a candidate for the discussion?

SO again..............instead of saying that Axl is the most intelligent band member because he likes to read...........how do you know this?

Huh? I thought we were talking about the most intellectual band member, not the most intelligent. Am I missing something now?

As for Axl being one of the most intellectual band member, as I believe I said earlier it's hard to say, but we know he at least reads a lot and lets this inspire his art (from interviews and song analyses), he is also eager to express his thoughts on not only art but also world politics. Both of these things, the application of intelligence through arts and social commentary, are what I consider signs of being intellectual. Because it is not enough just to be intelligent, that intelligence must be applied in certain ways for someone to be an intellectual.

None of the original members seem very intellectual. At least in the old days. Slash speaks well in interviews since he got sober and duff's book was very interesting but nu guys seem better.

About intelligence Axl's high school girlfriend said he was very smart and slash kept calling him a genius in recent interviews (Although it was probably because of HOF) and really intelligent in his book. I haven't heard anything about others. But besides steven none of them are dumb obviously.

Simply name your pick , and explain why if you feel inclined to do so.

(Try to keep all the one-liner stupid comments to yourselves.)

Axl Rose

He is quite intellectual when he not act like an asshole (hmm even when he act like an asshole still intellectual, though)

Is intelligent and intellectual the same? :tongue2: