Who is the most intellectual member of GNR?

sailaway

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said *most* intellectual, wasn't comparing anyone to Einstein or Hawkings. You actually must have a degree of street smarts to survive w/o money in LA.

Not to mention they still merit an entire forum discussing their lives/businesses :blink:

Edited by sailaway

We don't know that much about the current members, really. Axl seems to read a lot and be interested in art, as for the others, I have no idea, so I'll go with Axl. It's the same with former members, too, we don't know that much, except that we can rule our Steven and Slash :D

Depends what is defined as intellectual. If it is deeply analytical and introspective I would say Axl otherwise perhaps Duff, he went back to college and gained high marks at his business degree whilst still doing his day job so he must be fairly smart.

We don't know that much about the current members, really. Axl seems to read a lot and be interested in art, as for the others, I have no idea, so I'll go with Axl. It's the same with former members, too, we don't know that much, except that we can rule our Steven and Slash :D

ha! Definitely, the books and Art collection would sway me in that direction, I know Izzy races in the desert, but don't really know the habits of the rest, except for Duff' s newspaper gig and Stevens habits that have recently landed him back in rehab.

Depends what is defined as intellectual. If it is deeply analytical and introspective I would say Axl otherwise perhaps Duff, he went back to college and gained high marks at his business degree whilst still doing his day job so he must be fairly smart.

agree, years ago who would think duff could be so articulate?

Edited by sailaway

ha! Definitely, the books and Art collection would sway me in that direction, I know Izzy races in the desert, but don't really know the habits of the rest, except for Duff' s newspaper gig and Stevens habits that have recently landed him back in rehab.

Yeah, I would say that Duff is probably quite intelligent and at least well-read by now. I have to say I am impressed by him, he was such a drunken slob back in the days. As for current members, Bumblefoot seems very intelligent but whether that is sufficient to be characterized as an intellectual, well, I guess that depends on how we define it. Richard has come off as intelligent in my interviews and talks with him, but we haven't really talked much beyond music, so it's hard to say.

Agree, Ron is educated but schooling nowdays seems to produce a lot of "educated idiots"

*Not directed at Ron*

Sometimes intelligence is inherent, look what they characterized Einstein as in school.

also, there is book smart, and common sense. before someone else says it, there is a fine line between genius and insanity. :D

Yes, I second Duff. Now has an economics degree and runs a business on advising artists on their record contract financial matters. Also penned a incredibly human autobiography. He also likes history (American Civil War) and literature (Hemingway).

Izzy is the only member to have graduated.

I do not understand the criticism of Slash here. Although he wouldn't qualify for Mensa, Slash has always struck me as well spoken, with a deep knowledge of music history, and, I know he likes Grahmn Greene novels.

Guest NGOG

Given the deep esoteric meaning Axl has captured in many songs and even videos (which a documentary has actually explained in depth), his elaborate vivid letters of explanation over the years and general wealth of experience I would describe Axl as an intellectual.

Ron also clearly has a very high IQ if you've read anything in which he's been asked to offer a serious perspective on something like the changing nature of the industry. It's not surprising really given the age he took to guitar and so easily.

Another mention would go to Chris Pitman. He's a very complex individual with clearly a lot going on there. When I met him backstage he was prepared to comment on anything really and insightfully. Again I would say a high IQ. His music gives that impression too.

Robin Finck is another hugely enlightened person. Very poetic and as I said previously, a high IQ going on there.

Izzy. Intellectually couldn't come to terms with GNR imploding and becoming self-indulgent during the 90s like so many greats before. It's usually the quiet ones that reserve opinion and freely ride motorcycles across the globe that you should watch.

Edited by NGOG

Yes, I second Duff. Now has an economics degree and runs a business on advising artists on their record contract financial matters. Also penned a incredibly human autobiography. He also likes history (American Civil War) and literature (Hemingway).

Izzy is the only member to have graduated.

I do not understand the criticism of Slash here. Although he wouldn't qualify for Mensa, Slash has always struck me as well spoken, with a deep knowledge of music history, and, I know he likes Grahmn Greene novels.

I think anyone in the band would have done well in university.

If you're talking about all of GNR, they didn't all drop out, the AFD lineup did, not sure about Matt & Dizzy. Not sure about Buckethead, but he was playing professionally while he was still in high school. His dad was a coach, so I'm sure he didn't get picked on, but I could see the parents pushing for their kids to do well in school.

Tommy said he dropped out.

Ron could have a Masters for all we know, usually people go into teaching try to get the MA or MS to have a leg up in the workplace.

I'm just commenting on being educated, not being an intellectual. I think someone who picks up things along the way in life and is descriptive about it, is intellectual. They don't have to be wordy, but pseudo-intellectuals tend to be.

Edited by dalsh327

No matter how you look at it, I think Axl is highly intelligent. I obviously don't know the guy, but watching interviews with him and knowing what is available about him, he seems to have a really sharp brain and a deep understanding of many aspects in life.

I'd say he's the most intelligent member of old Guns.

Without much to go on, I would say Axl, Izzy, and Fortus. Axl is the head lyric writer and he bleeds lyrics in ChiDem. You feel terrible for the guy and you want to give him a big hug.

Then you wanna shake him and tell him all his current problems are his fault. He doesn't have to the romanticize damaged women he dated or date only women who society sees as a "10". This is all immature shit. He needs to date a spiritual "10". Even a journalist, scientist, docor, or lawyers trumps dating only model and actresses. Even the GNR Facebook page is lacking in intellectual content. Taylor Momsen? The GNR posters of generic hot bodies? Let's all try to be more intellectual.

From Gn'R I'd say Alder is a a true coinnasseur in the art of getting high... From Axl's band, my bet would be on Tommy Stinson - the guy looks all classy ans hit on stage and strikes me as the intelectual type. :awesomeface: