Who is the most intellectual member of GNR?

sailaway

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's been any members of GN'R who were truly 'dumb'. Adler pre-stroke seems to have been not a GENIUS, but not a moron either. Gilby and Matt don't strike me as intellectuals of any sort, Slash neither. Duff and Axl, of the Classic Era band, were probably the brightest lights. Izzy is a mystery but I'd venture to guess he might've been the smartest of all of them.

Of the new band, probably Bumblefoot is the most intellectual.

Totally Axl. Josh Freese is the second one.

You know, Axl reads a lot, and what he wrote in the unpublished CD booklet are actually pretty good ideas.

The least - Adler, Sorum, Slash, Frank. I don't know what is it about the drummers lol.

Edited by BatVin

I'd put Duff at the top of the list.

Nutters keep praising Axl because he reads a lot. I don't follow every second of Axl's personal life, so I wasn't aware of this fact. How do you all know that Axl is a voracious reader? And what somebody reads matters more than how much they read or if they just like to read - so what are some of the many books that you all know Axl has read, that has guided you to this opinion of him being a highly intelligent person?

Why is everybody saying 'Bumblefoot' - because he wears specs? He may be intellegent, he may not, but I have never seen any evidence either way.

I don't think the erroneous and archaic myth that people wearing glasses are smarter here, many simply wear contacts for vision correction.

I'm basing my opinion on interviews, both written and filmed, and known works that can definitely be attributed to each member, plus known habits.

Didn't really specify any particular lineup, so everyone is fair game. :D

Edited by sailaway

But I have never seen any evidence, for or against Bumble, being brainy. We at least have the knowledge that Duff has an economics degree and reads a lot, as evidence. To presume someone is smart you need evidence of their formal education, reading habits and/or interests. For all we know, Frank may be interested in Newtonian phsyics - we just do not know.

Career wise you would have to say DJ, as he has tried to create a brand outside of music, excluding bumblefoot's hot sauce none of the other members have done that.

I believe that Axl sees himself as and wants to be intellectual, but as much as I love the guy, either he's made a lot of monumental mistakes or has been fucked over by a lot of people, and books and art aside you can't call that intellectual.

I imagine all of these guys are intelligent, intelligence doesn't have to be science or math, probably the deepest intelligence is art and if they would release a new song once in a fucking while maybe we would know who is intelligent and have more interesting shit to talk about.

Career wise you would have to say DJ, as he has tried to create a brand outside of music, excluding bumblefoot's hot sauce none of the other members have done that. I believe that Axl sees himself as and wants to be intellectual, but as much as I love the guy, either he's made a lot of monumental mistakes or has been fucked over by a lot of people, and books and art aside you can't call that intellectual. I imagine all of these guys are intelligent, intelligence doesn't have to be science or math, probably the deepest intelligence is art and if they would release a new song once in a fucking while maybe we would know who is intelligent and have more interesting shit to talk about.

So, by your logic if a new song is released it will prove beyond a doubt who is more intelligent.

And I thought the Rorsharch test was a waste of time :blink:

Axl is certainly somebody who uses his brain a lot but he uses it in a self-analytical pseudo-scientific manner which sadly led Axl down the path towards outright quackery (i.e. the Maynards). Axl's list of favourite books is also interesting..

"The Stand [by Stephen King], A Scanner Darkly [Philip K Dick], Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, James Dean: The Mutant King [David Dalton] and Zodiac [Neal Stephenson]."

In a nutshell, Axl likes sci-fi/horror - remember he championed Del James's horror career. Not the most high-brow/intellectual of lists, it has to be said, however Frankenstein is an absolute classic.

Adler's favourite book I believe is Hustler magazine.

Axl is certainly somebody who uses his brain a lot but he uses it in a self-analytical pseudo-scientific manner which sadly led Axl down the path towards outright quackery (i.e. the Maynards). Axl's list of favourite books is also interesting..

"The Stand [by Stephen King], A Scanner Darkly [Philip K Dick], Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, James Dean: The Mutant King [David Dalton] and Zodiac [Neal Stephenson]."

In a nutshell, Axl likes sci-fi/horror - remember he championed Del James's horror career. Not the most high-brow/intellectual of lists, it has to be said, however Frankenstein is an absolute classic.Adler's favourite book I believe is Hustler magazine.

Incident about the Maynards, after Sharons demise he raced off to find a similar replacement wife to keep that illusion going...Think everyone here can list some regrettable choices.

Being inwardly focused and analytical is a royal pain and old habits die hard.

Favorite books do change from time to time, its not a static finite thing.

Think you may be right in Stevens favorite book, that doesn't come with crayons :lol:

In a nutshell, Axl likes sci-fi/horror - remember he championed Del James's horror career. Not the most high-brow/intellectual of lists, it has to be said, however Frankenstein is an absolute classic.

Adler's favourite book I believe is Hustler magazine.

Maybe that makes Adler the smartest