Questions regarding the last show Argentina 1993

Birk

• 1 year later...

Someone told the story of the band going to a local bar after the show and playing for a small club crowd. Not sure if Axl was there, but if he was then that would be the official ending.

The story might be false, but someone found an article about it because the band tended to go play at small clubs after many shows on the illusion tour. Axl was hardly ever with him, but every once in a while they would play as a whole band.

Yeah, I've always thought Slash looks drunk in that photo.

He looks as though he's leaning against the wall - that could be booze but after playing a long GnR show that could be sheer exhaustion, too.

This was around the same time there were military coups and other things happening in South America, wasn't it? IIRC there was some sort of controversy with the band being in Argentina the first time they were there. I had a pen pal in Argentina at the time and she said the media had spread a completely nonsensical rumor that GnR had burned their boots after stepping on Argentinian soil because they thought it was filthy, and the band had to travel under guard after that. And looking elsewhere online I found this:

-On December 5 and 6 the band performed for the first time in Argentina surrounded by rumors, threats, and controversy. Rose unexpectedly appeared the night before to their first show giving an exclusive interview to Marcelo Tinelli on his show wearing the Argentinean football team shirt. The night after Axl Rose opened the show performing "Welcome to the Jungle" wearing the shirt again

So was there any drama there during the July go-round? If they went back to Argentina a second time, I'm guessing things were calmer, but maybe they were on edge over all of that?

Edited by stella

Someone told the story of the band going to a local bar after the show and playing for a small club crowd. Not sure if Axl was there, but if he was then that would be the official ending.

The story might be false, but someone found an article about it because the band tended to go play at small clubs after many shows on the illusion tour. Axl was hardly ever with him, but every once in a while they would play as a whole band.

That story is correct but not from 1993. It happened in 2011.

He looks as though he's leaning against the wall - that could be booze but after playing a long GnR show that could be sheer exhaustion, too.

This was around the same time there were military coups and other things happening in South America, wasn't it? IIRC there was some sort of controversy with the band being in Argentina the first time they were there. I had a pen pal in Argentina at the time and she said the media had spread a completely nonsensical rumor that GnR had burned their boots after stepping on Argentinian soil because they thought it was filthy, and the band had to travel under guard after that.

OMG, military coups happened in the late 60's-70's... LOL :P

Yeah, that story of the argentinian flag burned down was completely made up, dunno if it was the media or some asshole, but yeah, Axl decided to give a television interview to clarify things. It all ended up fine.

And looking elsewhere online I found this:

-On December 5 and 6 the band performed for the first time in Argentina surrounded by rumors, threats, and controversy. Rose unexpectedly appeared the night before to their first show giving an exclusive interview to Marcelo Tinelli on his show wearing the Argentinean football team shirt. The night after Axl Rose opened the show performing "Welcome to the Jungle" wearing the shirt again

So was there any drama there during the July go-round? If they went back to Argentina a second time, I'm guessing things were calmer, but maybe they were on edge over all of that?

In 1993, a new accussation from some jerk disturbed the band again claiming they had cocaine in the hotel and that Slash was doing "inmoral exhibitions" in public (he actually mooned the fans when he got close to the window but it was like 5 seconds, really).

Police had to go check what was going on and that forced Axl and Duff to do a press conference on TV to clarify things. Fortunately, the retarded accussation was dismissed and everything went back to normal before the show.

This was around the same time there were military coups and other things happening in South America, wasn't it? IIRC there was some sort of controversy with the band being in Argentina the first time they were there. I had a pen pal in Argentina at the time and she said the media had spread a completely nonsensical rumor that GnR had burned their boots after stepping on Argentinian soil because they thought it was filthy, and the band had to travel under guard after that.

OMG, military coups happened in the late 60's-70's... LOL :P

Yeah, that story of the argentinian flag burned down was completely made up, dunno if it was the media or some asshole, but yeah, Axl decided to give a television interview to clarify things. It all ended up fine.

And looking elsewhere online I found this:

In 1993, a new accussation from some jerk disturbed the band again claiming they had cocaine in the hotel and that Slash was doing "inmoral exhibitions" in public (he actually mooned the fans when he got close to the window but it was like 5 seconds, really).

Police had to go check what was going on and that forced Axl and Duff to do a press conference on TV to clarify things. Fortunately, the retarded accussation was dismissed and everything went back to normal before the show.

Actually in looking it up, there had been a coup in Peru in 1992 and a failed attempt in Venzeuela the same year, as well as coups in Ecuador and various South and Central American countries throughout the late the 80s and as recently as 2002 - so it wasn't a silly question, and it does mean that there was unrest when the band visited South America.

Thanks for the info on the 1993 incident - so silly. What I could never figure out is why anyone would have bothered fabricating such a stupid story about the boots/flag burnings to begin with. There was nothing in the band's music that was anti-South American or anti-Argentinian, nor was there any reason to believe the band members harbored any hostility to that or any S. American country.

Actually in looking it up, there had been a coup in Peru in 1992 and a failed attempt in Venzeuela the same year, as well as coups in Ecuador and various South and Central American countries throughout the late the 80s and as recently as 2002 - so it wasn't a silly question, and it does mean that there was unrest when the band visited South America.

Thanks for the info on the 1993 incident - so silly. What I could never figure out is why anyone would have bothered fabricating such a stupid story about the boots/flag burnings to begin with. There was nothing in the band's music that was anti-South American or anti-Argentinian, nor was there any reason to believe the band members harbored any hostility to that or any S. American country.

There's always some tension going on in South America but Argentina has been fine for quite some time.... hope it remains ok ... and back in 1992, it was more like bullshit from the media than real things happening.

Umm... according to Axl, the ones who fabricated that rumour were music events producers who couldnt get the band booked. It makes sense to think about it. GN'R was a big act and it involved lots of money, press, glory....

In my opinion, it was mainly connected to the press wanting to build a big circus out of GN'R, knowing the history of the band, the previous riots in the USA and the many times Axl walked off the stage.... If you think about it, its really really silly and stupid... but in 1992 things were like that.... the band carried some halo of danger people were scared about.. and it made parents crazy because GN'R fans were mostly teenagers (unlike now that we are all grown-ups). Also, these strict catholic countries saw them as if they were the devil and the stories about alcohol and drug abuse were not appealing to the parents.... Argentina was governed by the right back then, so it makes sense that whole establishment was against GN'R, their lifestyles and this terror of having the kids trying to imitate their idols.

:shrugs:

There's always some tension going on in South America but Argentina has been fine for quite some time.... hope it remains ok ... and back in 1992, it was more like bullshit from the media than real things happening.

Umm... according to Axl, the ones who fabricated that rumour were music events producers who couldnt get the band booked. It makes sense to think about it. GN'R was a big act and it involved lots of money, press, glory....

In my opinion, it was mainly connected to the press wanting to build a big circus out of GN'R, knowing the history of the band, the previous riots in the USA and the many times Axl walked off the stage.... If you think about it, its really really silly and stupid... but in 1992 things were like that.... the band carried some halo of danger people were scared about.. and it made parents crazy because GN'R fans were mostly teenagers (unlike now that we are all grown-ups). Also, these strict catholic countries saw them as if they were the devil and the stories about alcohol and drug abuse were not appealing to the parents.... Argentina was governed by the right back then, so it makes sense that whole establishment was against GN'R, their lifestyles and this terror of having the kids trying to imitate their idols.

:shrugs:

That makes sense, all of it. if there was a very conservative religious government in at the time, it's totally plausible that there would have been some pearl-clutching about GnR. there was enough of that in the States, as I recall. Spreading that sort of false information about the band burning the flag/etc. was so, SO irresponsible and dangerous, though...those sort of accusations could have led to very real acts of violence against the band.

Im curious to know why they didnt play Nightrain for over a month before they finally busted it out on the last show? Perhaps Gilby couldnt play the solo because of his broken wrist?

anyway you can tell they were really pumped dusting the song off, fucking nailed it!

That makes sense, all of it. if there was a very conservative religious government in at the time, it's totally plausible that there would have been some pearl-clutching about GnR. there was enough of that in the States, as I recall. Spreading that sort of false information about the band burning the flag/etc. was so, SO irresponsible and dangerous, though...those sort of accusations could have led to very real acts of violence against the band.

It wasn't extreme conservative but it was nothing like nowadays when it has become the total opposite, LOL :P

Yes, it was very irresponsible to do that and that's why thousands and thousands of cops were assigned to keep custody before, during and after the show. Most kids went with their parents, of course.