Anyone into Stephen King?

TombRaider

Love Stephen King. In my top 3 fave authors with Dan Brown and J.K. Rowling

Anyone read Doctor Sleep yet? Apparently a few Overlook ghosts have cameos. I read a few reviews that said it was scarier than The Shining.

Hopefully will have time to start it this month. I've heard it's good from people who have read it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone read Doctor Sleep yet? Apparently a few Overlook ghosts have cameos. I read a few reviews that said it was scarier than The Shining.

I haven't read it yet, but I do wanna read it. And yeah, the Overlook ghosts are still haunting our hero, until his cook buddy helps him get rid of them for good.

I'm actually reading The Shining again for the first time in a long time just to get myself ready for Doctor Sleep. Everything I've read about it so far sounds good. Hopefully I will finish Shining this weekend and jump on Doctor Sleep soon. I hope it's good for 2 reasons: I would hate to see King follow up something great like Shining with something average or forgettable. And I have to say, there haven't been many King novels recently I can say I loved.

Really surprised to see that no one mentioned The Eyes of the Dragon. My favorite King book. Some others I love are Needful Things, Dolores Claiborne, and Hearts in Atlantis. I love all of his novellas and short story collections. Too many to list as favs but two standouts are The Body and Rita Hayworth and the Shawkshank Redemption.

There was some talk about Scyfy making Eyes of the Dragon into a TV show but I never heard anything else. Looking forward to Dr. Sleep. Thinking I should re-read The Shining first.

I think King does an excellent job of letting the reader identify with his characters.

• 5 months later...

Just finished Doctor Sleep. I thought it was very good. Not classic like Shining and not on par with his top stuff, but it was better than I expected. I went in thinking it would be a let down since Shining is one of my top books, but I enjoyed it. The AA stuff, I've seen others say it got on their nerves but it didn't bother me. Just seemed like a part of the character's life. Thought it used enough from Shining without trying to live off of it, nice balance. Seems like it would tranlate well to film too.