Anyone into Stephen King?

TombRaider

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really The Stand. I've read a few of his books and The Stand is my least favorite. Strange. I thought Wizard and Glass was the best.

I liked the first half of the stand before all the supernatural stuff started. If he just did a book about the end of the world, and didn't have some weird supernatural thing in it, it might be the best book ever. Probably why Misery is my favorite.

I didn't really The Stand. I've read a few of his books and The Stand is my least favorite. Strange. I thought Wizard and Glass was the best.

I liked the first half of the stand before all the supernatural stuff started. If he just did a book about the end of the world, and didn't have some weird supernatural thing in it, it might be the best book ever. Probably why Misery is my favorite.

Yes, same. Could've done without all the religious crap.

Yes, same. Could've done without all the religious crap.

It's really not all that religious.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/09/stephen_king_sex_scenes.php

:lol:

It is probably the first book in the chronological King bibliography where you can point and say, "Here is where editors stopped telling King to rein that shit in." The novel of a shapeshifting, child-hunting demon named Pennywise is almost 1,100 pages long. Still, it's a good tale about the power of friendship and the strength of childhood imagination. In fact, it's exactly that that helps seven kids overcome an ancient evil.

That being said, apparently overcoming being lost in the sewers can only be done by having six 11-year-old boys sequentially fuck an 11-year-old girl... by her invitation.

Seriously, the gang has just brought about the end (At least they believe so) of a pan-dimensional monster in mortal combat. They've slain something that's claimed thousands of lives in their town in the most gruesome manner imaginable, but suddenly the concept of tunnels is just too much to overcome without a sudden, magical orgy.

And it's all the girl, Beverly's, idea. She realizes that the group needs "bringing back together" and the only way to do that is to lose her virginity in a mass hump session.

To be fair, it's actually portrayed with a lot of love, certainly in comparison to the parade of sexual atrocity that's preceded it on this list, but no matter how many references to affection, bird-watching, lazy days spent reading funny books, or poetry, it's still seven pages of a grade-school group sex session. Its sheer randomness lands it the top spot.

Did I mention the Bill Denbrough, the guy that gets sloppy sixths, is pretty much a transparent stand-in for King himself?

• 2 weeks later...

The local book shop received some new novels: Salem's Lot, The Stand, Pet Semetary and The Green Mile. I'm definetly gonna get one of them this weekend, help me pick wich. I want a page turning thriller, like The Dead Zone.

I've been reading Dan Brown's Inferno and I just can't stand it anymore... I'm a Dan Brown fan, and I didn't expect much thing rather than the whole "film script" thing that his books are, but I was really disapointed. Inferno is a complete mess, awful book. Don't waste your time. Anyone who ever read more than one book with Robert Langdon knows that Brown uses this whole sexy girl - secret society - huge secret - artistic important city formule, and that was not the issue on the past books because there was a really page turning thriller going on, with good plot twist and an interesting story.

But with this one... This book is literally a caricature of his past books. Brown lost himself in the whole scenario descritpion. I mean, the art and history on his books were interesting and helped building the story, but there's so much of it on Inferno that prevents the reader from actually bonding with the characters and the story. He loses himself between a Florence Art History book and a thiller book, which turned out badly for both sides. And at least on the past books, the investigation was very interesting, but on this one Langdon just sort of finds everything out as soon as he finds the clue. An epiphany. And the bad thing is that this takes so long to happen, that any trained reader - actually, anyone who has ever seen a James Bond film - already knew dozens of chapters ago what was about to happen. And do you think that immediately after finding out where to go Langdon is gonna go there? Nah, before he has to give the reader an art lesson, despite being pursued by the police and by a secret society who wants to kill him.

Awful book.

Edited by ManetsBR

The local book shop received some new novels: Salem's Lot, The Stand, Pet Semetary and The Green Mile. I'm definetly gonna get one of them this weekend, help me pick wich. I want a page turning thriller, like The Dead Zone.

I've been reading Dan Brown's Inferno and I just can't stand it anymore... I'm a Dan Brown fan, and I didn't expect much thing rather than the whole "film script" thing that his books are, but I was really disapointed. Inferno is a complete mess, awful book. Don't waste your time. Anyone who ever read more than one book with Robert Langdon knows that Brown uses this whole sexy girl - secret society - huge secret - artistic important city formule, and that was not the issue on the past books because there was a really page turning thriller going on, with good plot twist and an interesting story.

But with this one... This book is literally a caricature of his past books. Brown lost himself in the whole scenario descritpion. I mean, the art and history on his books were interesting and helped building the story, but there's so much of it on Inferno that prevents the reader from actually bonding with the characters and the story. He loses himself between a Florence Art History book and a thiller book, which turned out badly for both sides. And at least on the past books, the investigation was very interesting, but on this one Langdon just sort of finds everything out as soon as he finds the clue. An epiphany. And the bad thing is that this takes so long to happen, that any trained reader - actually, anyone who has ever seen a James Bond film - already knew dozens of chapters ago what was about to happen. And do you think that immediately after finding out where to go Langdon is gonna go there? Nah, before he has to give the reader an art lesson, despite being pursued by the police and by a secret society who wants to kill him.

Awful book.

Are you reading them in English or in Portuguese? Is your English good enough to be able to fully enjoy a novel written in English? If you're reading them in English and the answer to the last question is yes, then read Pet Sematary.

Cool, the go ahead and read Pet Sematary.

EDIT:

You talked about Dan Brown. Well, I read the Da Vinci Code and I tried to read Angels and Demons, but I couldn't finish it. I know you're a fan, but the Da Vinci Code was not that good. I don't know... the riddles were too easy or rather they solved them too easily and the ending was pathetic. There was no payoff, which was a huge letdown, at least for me. And Angels and Demons felt like a copy of the Da Vinci Code. It's almost the same story, the same buildup, the same style... of course, all writers have a style you can identify in every one of their books, but it was as if he'd literally copied chunks of one story and then decided to use them in a different book. And...

while he may have thought that reading a book where the Vatican is in danger of being completely destroyed is engagin and potentially a page turner, he was wrong. Why? Because 10 or 20 pages into the book I already knew that the Vatican was not going to be destroyed. There is just no way he'd put that in his book, so the tension was gone. there was no mystery, nothing that would make me wanna keep reading to find out what happened at the end.

Edited by TombRaider

Where do I even start? Let's say this...

EDIT:

The movie is praised as one of the greatest films ever made. I wish I could say rightly so, but I won't. And here's why: it is a terrible adaptation. It's not even the same story, not even the same characters. I mean, what happens in the book sorta happens in the movie, but the reasons why things happen are lost in the movie and that ultimately destroys the story. it's as if Kubrick had thought that the characters in the book should be different, that they should be different people and went ahead and decided to cast two actors who would portray them the way he thought they should be portrayed, but not the way they are in the book. To me, that's a crime. Because you're betraying the author and his intentions. In the book, the main character changes, a lot. He's not crazy, he's just a man who's depressed, who had a drinking problem and who's desperately trying to keep his family together, who wants to forgive himself and at the end he's the victim of the ghosts living in the hotel, who manipulate him into killing and into drinking. and yet, the beauty about the SK story is that you can't always tell if it's the hotel controlling the main character or if he is is just that way... Nicholson is a great actor, but he played the main character totally wrong. He comes across as a crazy guy, from the very beginning. and that's a huge mistake. by doing that, you're killing every chance the story has of developing how it's supposed to. it's as if Darth Vader had revealed in Episode IV that he is looking for his son, it'd have been a completely different movie.

I don't know. I'm just a huge fan of the book and didn't like the movie. it's not based on the book, but rather loosely... no, make that very loosely based on the book.

Even the Wendy character is wrong. In the book, she's a strong woman, in the movie she looks scared all the time.

I know SK was once quoted as saying he didn't like the movie either.

Edited by TombRaider

I was expecting people to react like that :laugh: Kubrick fans are so passionate. Maybe it's not a terrible movie, but it is a terrible adaptation. It's not even an adaptation, it's Kubrick doing whatever the hell he wants with a great SK story. :shrugs:

Have you ever read the book?